DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Sink sealant. (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/191231-sink-sealant.html)

PVR February 3rd 07 08:08 PM

Sink sealant.

I am dropping a new ceramic/vitreous sink into a melamine board counter top.
Things don't stick well to melamine surfaces.

What should I use as sealant between the rim of the sink and the melamine
surface?

Many thanks.

Peter.

professorpaul February 3rd 07 09:08 PM

Sink sealant.

How about that silicon sealer that GE sells? Not the RTV silicon, but
a clear stuff that seems to stick to anything. Can't remember the name
though. Have used it to set a shower door in a fiberglass tub.

Norminn February 3rd 07 10:26 PM

Sink sealant.

PVR wrote:

I am dropping a new ceramic/vitreous sink into a melamine board counter top.
Things don't stick well to melamine surfaces.

What should I use as sealant between the rim of the sink and the melamine
surface?

Many thanks.

Peter.

There should be instructions. Silicone caulk sticks fine to my countertop.

beecrofter February 3rd 07 10:48 PM

Sink sealant.

On melamine or formica I would use plumbers putty because if you have
to remove the sink you won't be as inclined to peel the laminate, On
stone or solid surface material silicone is an option because those
substrates ar far stronger.
YMMV