Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Clicking on phone line

We are hearing intermittent clicking on a couple of phones in the
house. The phones are cordless and it has been going on for about a
week. A corded phone on the main floor is okay. It's happening on two
different cordless phone sets (and brands).

I took a couple phones to the basement to the Bell box (NID?) and a
corded phone seemed okay. . The cordless phone still clicked connected
directly to the Bell box.

I'm afraid when I call the phone company for service the repairman
will hook up his phone and say it's okay and that it's my problem with
cordless phones.

Any ideas. Thanks in advance.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Brooklin" wrote in message
We are hearing intermittent clicking on a couple of phones in the
house. The phones are cordless and it has been going on for about a
week. A corded phone on the main floor is okay. It's happening on two
different cordless phone sets (and brands).

I took a couple phones to the basement to the Bell box (NID?) and a
corded phone seemed okay. . The cordless phone still clicked connected
directly to the Bell box.

I'm afraid when I call the phone company for service the repairman
will hook up his phone and say it's okay and that it's my problem with
cordless phones.

Any ideas. Thanks in advance.

It is the cordless phones.

The reception is probably not up to snuff or there is noise on the line from
either a DSL connection or electrical interference from an adjacent house.

DSL connections are notoriously noisy on cordless phones.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Brooklin" wrote in message
I took a couple phones to the basement to the Bell box (NID?) and a
corded phone seemed okay. . The cordless phone still clicked connected
directly to the Bell box.
I'm afraid when I call the phone company for service the repairman
will hook up his phone and say it's okay and that it's my problem with
cordless phones.
Any ideas. Thanks in advance.

Well, surprise, surprise. Of course 'bell' will say it's your problem
with the cordless, because it IS your problem. Their *wired*
service to you seems to be fine. You are introducing a radio
link which is subject to RFI (radio frequency interference).
Any of many RFI sources could be interfering- garage door openers,
wireless modems, other cordless phones, ham operators, X10
remote devices, etc, etc.

Why in the world are you having the phone co check this?
seems to me to be a no brainer that it's not their fault. You've
already shown this with a corded phone.

lee

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 21:41:22 -0500, Brooklin
wrote:

We are hearing intermittent clicking on a couple of phones in the
house. The phones are cordless and it has been going on for about a
week. A corded phone on the main floor is okay. It's happening on two
different cordless phone sets (and brands).

That's me. You weren't supposed to notice.

Not to self: Order new equipment. Bill Department of Agriculture.

I took a couple phones to the basement to the Bell box (NID?) and a
corded phone seemed okay. . The cordless phone still clicked connected
directly to the Bell box.

I'm afraid when I call the phone company for service the repairman
will hook up his phone and say it's okay

Well of course he will. You just said it was ok in the previous
paragraph!

The cordless phone could have many reasons for clicking. I just tried
mine and it's clicking too. It's a new used phone with a weak
battery. It won't make contact with the phone line, but it does know
how to click.

and that it's my problem with
cordless phones.

Any ideas. Thanks in advance.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 31, 12:01 am, "lee houston" wrote:
"Brooklin" wrote in message

[...]

..
Agree. The telco service sounds fine (no clicking). So not their
problem or cost!
The cordless phone or phones, whoever supplied them or wherever bought
seem to be affected by some sort of radio interference?
Interference picked up by their built in antenna or, as a remote
possibility through the electrical wiring of the building since it
powers the cordless phone cradle units; probably using plug in wall-
warts?
Find the source of the interference yourself. Not likely to be
anything to do with the telco.
In our case we have a Remington electric shaver (it's not even a
rechargeable), which when plugged in, not even in use, generates an
electrical click several times a second. But we have another Remington
that does NOT generate clicks.
Other sources could be light dimmers, microwave clocks, door openers
or any of the multitude of 'gadgets' around us these days. e.g. a
faulty fluorescent fixture, flashing electric sign etc. etc. A
portable radio may help you find the source of the interference.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pop`" wrote in message
Eigenvector wrote:
"Brooklin" wrote in message
We are hearing intermittent clicking on a couple of phones in the
house. The phones are cordless and it has been going on for about a
week. A corded phone on the main floor is okay. It's happening on
two different cordless phone sets (and brands).

What speed is the clicking?

Wireless networking will affect 2.4 and/or 5.6 Ghz cordless phones.

Posted to alt.home.repair

linkalpha had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...ne-190381-.htm
:

-------------------------------------
Pop` wrote:

h_k wrote:
GWB is tapping your line.

You're a complete idiot; and now he's tapping YOUR line!

"Since October [2005], news accounts have disclosed a burgeoning Pentagon
campaign for 'detecting, identifying and engaging' internal enemies that
included a database with information on peace protesters. A debate has
roiled over the FBI's use of national security letters to obtain secret
access to the personal records of tens of thousands of Americans. And now
come revelations of the National Security Agency's interception of
telephone calls and e-mails from the United States -- without notice to
the federal court that has held jurisdiction over domestic spying since
1978.
"Defiant in the face of criticism, the Bush administration has portrayed
each surveillance initiative as a defense of American freedom."—Barton
Gellman and Dafna Linzer, Washington Post, December 18, 2005.
http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=George_W._Bush's_domestic_spying

With Congressional hearings scheduled to begin February 6, 2006, and
ejecting "critics' assertion that he broke the law by authorizing domestic
eavesdropping without a warrant, saying he was doing what Congress
authorized him to do to protect Americans from terrorist attacks,"
President Bush "kicked his administration's new intensive public relations
effort to win support for the program run by the National Security Agency"
by rebranding it the "Terrorist Surveillance Program," the Associated
Press's Nedra Pickler reported January 21, 2006.
http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=George_W._Bush's_domestic_spying

Maybe you should rethink "You're a complete idiot....."

Phone Line Problem ML Home Ownership 7 May 17th 05 06:07 PM
Adding a Second Phone Line Ablang Home Ownership 0 April 8th 05 06:46 AM
RJ45 for Phone Line Buck Turgidson Electronics Repair 4 September 5th 04 10:19 PM
shorted out phone line re barry martin Home Repair 1 June 17th 04 03:50 PM
phone line noise hank Home Ownership 8 December 7th 03 10:02 PM