DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Re-Using Caulking Tubes (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/190616-re-using-caulking-tubes.html)

spaceman January 28th 07 02:44 AM

Re-Using Caulking Tubes

As Well As Construction Adhesives, Etc...

Forget About Taping The End Or Using Any Tip That Might Come With The
Tube, Also Don't Use A Nail In The End Trick Either, Using ANY Of These
Methods Are Almost SURE To Result In A Clogged Caulking Tube Tip....

...Instead, After You Are Done, Squirt Out A Blob Of Caulking/Glue &
Cover The TIP Of The Tube With This Blob & Let Dry. Next Time You Want
To Use The Tube, Just Pull Off The Hardened Blob On The Tip & You Can
Re-Use The Tube Like You Hoped To. -ßøþ

[email protected] January 28th 07 03:39 AM

Re-Using Caulking Tubes

On Jan 27, 9:44 pm, (spaceman) wrote:
As Well As Construction Adhesives, Etc...

Forget About Taping The End Or Using Any Tip That Might Come With The
Tube, Also Don't Use A Nail In The End Trick Either, Using ANY Of These
Methods Are Almost SURE To Result In A Clogged Caulking Tube Tip....

..Instead, After You Are Done, Squirt Out A Blob Of Caulking/Glue &
Cover The TIP Of The Tube With This Blob & Let Dry. Next Time You Want
To Use The Tube, Just Pull Off The Hardened Blob On The Tip & You Can
Re-Use The Tube Like You Hoped To. -ßøþ

I agree.

I've been doing that for years and it works like a charm.

Also for silicone which seems to harden in the tip no matter what you
do I've found sending a drill bit through the harden stuff into the
the usable stuff unplugs it quite nicely.

Your drill bit will be covered with silicone afterwards but drilling a
hole into wood removes it.

beecrofter January 28th 07 04:06 AM

Re-Using Caulking Tubes

The other quick and dirty method is to slit the nozzle in two , remove
the plug and then take a few wraps of electrical tape around the
nozzle.

Layperson Tom January 28th 07 06:02 PM

Re-Using Caulking Tubes

On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 21:44:48 -0500, (spaceman)
wrote:

As Well As Construction Adhesives, Etc...

Forget About Taping The End Or Using Any Tip That Might Come With The
Tube, Also Don't Use A Nail In The End Trick Either, Using ANY Of These
Methods Are Almost SURE To Result In A Clogged Caulking Tube Tip....

..Instead, After You Are Done, Squirt Out A Blob Of Caulking/Glue &
Cover The TIP Of The Tube With This Blob & Let Dry. Next Time You Want
To Use The Tube, Just Pull Off The Hardened Blob On The Tip & You Can
Re-Use The Tube Like You Hoped To. -ßøþ

imho:

For me that glob always managed to rub up against myself, tools, wall,
or my clothing. So for a buck I picked up two caulk nozzle caps. They
work very well. As for construction adheasive, I clean off any eposed
glue and put in a large nail. Any exposed glue, even that glob
manages to harden and become very permenant.

Now if I don't plan to reuse the tube soon, I then evaluate chucking
it.

tom @
www.YourMoneySavingTips.com

New & Improved - N/F John February 2nd 07 02:06 AM

Re-Using Caulking Tubes

How about wrapping the tip of the tube with masking tape in manner that
permits caulk to escape? Then pump some out and squeeze the tape together.
No mess.

Layperson Tom February 2nd 07 06:32 PM

Re-Using Caulking Tubes

On Fri, 02 Feb 2007 02:06:29 GMT, "New & Improved - N/F John"
wrote:

How about wrapping the tip of the tube with masking tape in manner that
permits caulk to escape? Then pump some out and squeeze the tape together.
No mess.

Understand, but so far the cheap caps seem to work best for me with
basic caulk.

tom @ www.BlankHelp.com

.. .

JimRd February 4th 07 12:28 AM

Re-Using Caulking Tubes

wrote:

How about wrapping the tip of the tube with masking tape in manner that
permits caulk to escape? Then pump some out and squeeze the tape
together.
No mess.

Understand, but so far the cheap caps seem to work best for me with
basic caulk.

[snip]

I screw in a red (large size) wire nut from my box of electrical supplies.
The caulk in the spout stays flexible until the entire tube fails a few
months after opening.

George E. Cawthon February 4th 07 03:22 AM

Re-Using Caulking Tubes

wrote:

How about wrapping the tip of the tube with masking tape in manner that
permits caulk to escape? Then pump some out and squeeze the tape
together.
No mess.

Understand, but so far the cheap caps seem to work best for me with
basic caulk.

[snip]

I screw in a red (large size) wire nut from my box of electrical supplies.
The caulk in the spout stays flexible until the entire tube fails a few
months after opening.

Wind several layers of plastic wrap around the
spout and put a rubber band on to hold it, then
use several layers of plastic wrap held with a
rubber band on the rear end of the tube and it
won't fail in a couple of months. Standard house
caulks last 2-3 years with several intervening
uses during that period.