DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Removing musty odor (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/190592-removing-musty-odor.html)

BZ January 27th 07 08:18 PM

Removing musty odor

I have a one-room building out back that's been closed up for a long
time and has taken on that characeristic musty odor that storage
facilities sometimes get. I've tried a window fan, but as soon as the
fan gets turned off, the odor is back.

Would one of those ionic air cleaners solve the problem?

Thanks.

Charles Schuler January 27th 07 11:02 PM

Removing musty odor

"BZ" wrote in message
I have a one-room building out back that's been closed up for a long time
and has taken on that characeristic musty odor that storage facilities
sometimes get. I've tried a window fan, but as soon as the fan gets turned
off, the odor is back.

Would one of those ionic air cleaners solve the problem?

Maybe. Charcoal briquettes might be worth a try. I have friends who have
used this method and swear by it ... never tried it myself. Not sure what
they do ... absorb the odor?

Joseph Meehan January 28th 07 01:26 AM

Removing musty odor

BZ wrote:
I have a one-room building out back that's been closed up for a long
time and has taken on that characeristic musty odor that storage
facilities sometimes get. I've tried a window fan, but as soon as the
fan gets turned off, the odor is back.

Would one of those ionic air cleaners solve the problem?

Thanks.

Call a fire or mold restoration outfit. They have industrial ozone
machines that should take care of it. They also can take a look around and
may spot a problem that you have missed.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

BZ January 28th 07 06:15 PM

Removing musty odor

readandpostrosie wrote:
what is in there?

Mostly books, also some Little Tikes plastic toys and some athletic
equipment. It was shut up for over a year with a couch in it, and
that's when the odor started.