DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Amana washer tub seal repair (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/190491-amana-washer-tub-seal-repair.html)

Casual Observer January 26th 07 09:58 PM

Amana washer tub seal repair

I'm thinking that, at $300 (parts and labor), this is a senseless repair on
a $400 washing machine. And I'm thinking that, based on the replacement
instructions I've seen at http://www.applianceaid.com/356p3.html, this isn't
something that I want to tackle on my own - it's two hours of labor for an
experienced repair technician that knows all the tricks.

Anything I'm missing?

What a piece of crap this Amana washer has turned out to be.

BobK207 January 27th 07 02:24 AM

Amana washer tub seal repair

On Jan 26, 1:58 pm, "Casual Observer"
wrote:
I'm thinking that, at $300 (parts and labor), this is a senseless repair on
a $400 washing machine. And I'm thinking that, based on the replacement
instructions I've seen athttp://www.applianceaid.com/356p3.html, this isn't
something that I want to tackle on my own - it's two hours of labor for an
experienced repair technician that knows all the tricks.

Anything I'm missing?

What a piece of crap this Amana washer has turned out to be.

See if you can find a used Maytag on Craigslist.org.......if you live
in / near a decently sized metro area you'll be able to find someone
who's moving (or whatever) & wants to get rid of one cheap

or check w/ a local repair guy, they often have used / repaired ones
cheap

or if all else fails, buy a new Maytag

cheers
Bob

[email protected] January 27th 07 11:12 PM

Amana washer tub seal repair

Older Amana washers which show leakage at the main seal require a
certain amount of skill and special tools for repair. I would suggest
against trying this yourself, if only because of the frustration
factor and learning curve.

Newer Amana washers are rebranded Maytags, which are actually based on
Norge a Norge design. These also require specialized tools.

Maytag wash purchased by Whirlpool recently. New Maytags, perhaps
under its various brand names, will probably be badge engineered
Whirlpool direct drive models. In other words, if you put the Amana,
Maytag, Kenmore, and Whirlpool models side by side, the inherent
platform and design will be the same, although styling and features
will differ by model.

Casual Observer January 28th 07 02:25 PM

Amana washer tub seal repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
Older Amana washers which show leakage at the main seal require a
certain amount of skill and special tools for repair. I would suggest
against trying this yourself, if only because of the frustration
factor and learning curve.

Newer Amana washers are rebranded Maytags, which are actually based on
Norge a Norge design. These also require specialized tools.

Maytag wash purchased by Whirlpool recently. New Maytags, perhaps
under its various brand names, will probably be badge engineered
Whirlpool direct drive models. In other words, if you put the Amana,
Maytag, Kenmore, and Whirlpool models side by side, the inherent
platform and design will be the same, although styling and features
will differ by model.

Seems like you know the guts of these things - in your opinion, what's a
decent washer in the 400-500 range? Whirlpool got decent ratings in
Consumer Reports.