Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Is there a rule of thumb for cost to install hardwood flooring?

I'm looking at different per sq ft costs of hardwood flooring. I
wondered if there was a general rule to thumb to estimate the total
cost with installation. Double it? Triple it? I live in NH.

-Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

"jtpr" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm looking at different per sq ft costs of hardwood flooring. I
wondered if there was a general rule to thumb to estimate the total
cost with installation. Double it? Triple it? I live in NH.

-Jim

Call a couple of flooring contractors in you area and ask for a "ballpark
per square foot" estimate. Any numbers we give you are meaningless for your
area. Roughly I would GUESS that double the material cost would get you
somewhere in the general area. There is one heck of a lot of hard labor
involved.

The last time I checked, a few years back, the local price was $54 sq yard
(54/9= $6 square foot) installed over a clean dry ready to nail subfloor. I
doubt that price is still valid even here.

Most contractors are going to want to quote materials and labor. Finding
someone to install wood you have purchased will cost extra.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 26 Jan 2007 08:15:13 -0800, jtpr wrote:

I'm looking at different per sq ft costs of hardwood flooring. I
wondered if there was a general rule to thumb to estimate the total
cost with installation. Double it? Triple it? I live in NH.

-Jim

Is there a big box store near you? Usually they have a sign next to the
things they install, such as flooring, that says how much they charge for
the service.