DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   New Roof Questions. (New England) (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/190025-new-roof-questions-new-england.html)

Robert11 January 22nd 07 08:43 PM

New Roof Questions. (New England)

Hello:

Live in New England.

Looks like we need a new roof.

Know nothing about roofs.

What type of roof shingle should we be interested in ?
Brands that are good ? Any to avoid.

I guess these things come in different thicknesses (weights ?).
What would be typical for a New England climate.

New roof would probably be going on over existing shingles.
Is trhere an intermediate layer that is put between them ?

I know they sometimes use a metal "ice protection sheet" (not sure of the
exact terminology)
that goes a foot or so up from the edges. Is this a good thing to have ?

What should we be asking the contractor, or what should we be specifying ?

Any and all thoughts on would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

Rich256 January 22nd 07 11:42 PM

Robert11 wrote:
Hello:

Live in New England.

Looks like we need a new roof.

Know nothing about roofs.

What type of roof shingle should we be interested in ?
Brands that are good ? Any to avoid.

I guess these things come in different thicknesses (weights ?).
What would be typical for a New England climate.

New roof would probably be going on over existing shingles.
Is trhere an intermediate layer that is put between them ?

I know they sometimes use a metal "ice protection sheet" (not sure of the
exact terminology)
that goes a foot or so up from the edges. Is this a good thing to have ?

What should we be asking the contractor, or what should we be specifying ?

Any and all thoughts on would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

And much depends on how much you want to invest.

I replaced a heavy shake in the Denver Area a few years ago. Ended up
with a stone covered steel. Being in a heavy hail area I got a 27%
discount on my homeowners insurance.

Costs as much as a heavy shake but appears it will last forever. Light
weight.

http://www.gerardusa.com/

I got their tile version:

http://www.gerardusa.com/tile.shtml