DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   help! i need to jack a brick house before it falls over! (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/189901-help-i-need-jack-brick-house-before-falls-over.html)

ruca January 21st 07 07:08 PM

help! i need to jack a brick house before it falls over!

this is a two-story brick victorian built in the 1800s. far as we can
tell, there have been no gutters on it to divert the rainwater away
from the foundation for quite a while, and the foundation is settling
badly. the brick above grade is now caving in towards the basement. is
there any way to shore this beast?
much obliged,
-cold in colorado

Edwin Pawlowski January 21st 07 07:14 PM

help! i need to jack a brick house before it falls over!

"ruca" wrote in message
ups.com...
this is a two-story brick victorian built in the 1800s. far as we can
tell, there have been no gutters on it to divert the rainwater away
from the foundation for quite a while, and the foundation is settling
badly. the brick above grade is now caving in towards the basement. is
there any way to shore this beast?
much obliged,
-cold in colorado

Some things are easy DIY. Others need a pro to assess the situation. I'd
certainly want a pro to take a look before doing more damage than exists
already. Try to get the guy that designed the bell tower in Pisa.

Doug Miller January 21st 07 07:38 PM

In article . com, "ruca" wrote:
this is a two-story brick victorian built in the 1800s. far as we can
tell, there have been no gutters on it to divert the rainwater away
from the foundation for quite a while, and the foundation is settling
badly. the brick above grade is now caving in towards the basement. is
there any way to shore this beast?

This is probably not a do-it-yourself job. Time to call in the pros.

--
Regards,

diablo January 21st 07 07:49 PM

help! i need to jack a brick house before it falls over!

"ruca" wrote in message
ups.com...
this is a two-story brick victorian built in the 1800s. far as we can
tell, there have been no gutters on it to divert the rainwater away
from the foundation for quite a while, and the foundation is settling
badly. the brick above grade is now caving in towards the basement. is
there any way to shore this beast?
much obliged,
-cold in colorado

I agree with everyone else, I'm fearless and the thoughts of hurting that
1800's house scares me. I'd call a Pro and ask their assessment.

Brian

Tom The Great January 21st 07 09:44 PM

On 21 Jan 2007 11:08:47 -0800, "ruca" wrote:

this is a two-story brick victorian built in the 1800s. far as we can
tell, there have been no gutters on it to divert the rainwater away
from the foundation for quite a while, and the foundation is settling
badly. the brick above grade is now caving in towards the basement. is
there any way to shore this beast?
much obliged,
-cold in colorado

Two things....

1. Photos? (wondering if the mortar is completely gone, and you have
brick on brick)

2. Seek the help of a structural engineer. No reason the play around
with your home.

hth,

tom @ www.BlankHelp.com

Everett M. Greene January 22nd 07 05:26 PM

Tom The Great writes:
On 21 Jan 2007 11:08:47 -0800, "ruca" wrote:

this is a two-story brick victorian built in the 1800s. far as we can
tell, there have been no gutters on it to divert the rainwater away
from the foundation for quite a while, and the foundation is settling
badly. the brick above grade is now caving in towards the basement. is
there any way to shore this beast?
much obliged,
-cold in colorado

Two things....

1. Photos? (wondering if the mortar is completely gone, and you have
brick on brick)

2. Seek the help of a structural engineer. No reason the play around
with your home.

Let's make it unanimous -- don't try this at home yourself.

If you're in one of the old mining towns, you might be
able to get some assistance from a historical preservation
society. At least they'd have some thoughts about similar
restoration projects.