DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   New acrylic paint on concrete is bubbling (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/189681-new-acrylic-paint-concrete-bubbling.html)

Mark K January 19th 07 11:26 AM

New acrylic paint on concrete is bubbling

Hi

I applied a new coat of acrylic paint on concrete a couple of days ago.

I etched the concrete with commercial etching solution and ensured it
was clean before applying the paint.

It is now bubbling in the heat of the day.

Is there any way to fix the bubbles? Should I puncture them?

Mark

Norminn January 19th 07 12:42 PM

Mark K wrote:

Hi

I applied a new coat of acrylic paint on concrete a couple of days ago.

I etched the concrete with commercial etching solution and ensured it
was clean before applying the paint.

It is now bubbling in the heat of the day.

Is there any way to fix the bubbles? Should I puncture them?

Mark

New concrete? No primer? Why did you etch it?

[email protected] January 19th 07 02:33 PM

Norminn wrote:
Mark K wrote:

Hi

I applied a new coat of acrylic paint on concrete a couple of days ago.

I etched the concrete with commercial etching solution and ensured it
was clean before applying the paint.

It is now bubbling in the heat of the day.

Is there any way to fix the bubbles? Should I puncture them?

Mark

New concrete? No primer? Why did you etch it?

how long did you let the concrete dry after cleaning and etching

David Martel January 19th 07 02:35 PM

New acrylic paint on concrete is bubbling

Mark,

Give the manufacturer a call. They often list a consumer help phone
number on the can.

Dave M.

[email protected] January 19th 07 03:25 PM

New acrylic paint on concrete is bubbling

Aren't you supposed to do something inbetween the eching and painting
(besides let it dry completely). And what's the temperature and
humidity there?

Joe January 19th 07 06:00 PM

Mark K wrote:
Hi

I applied a new coat of acrylic paint on concrete a couple of days ago.

I etched the concrete with commercial etching solution and ensured it
was clean before applying the paint.

But was it bone dry?

It is now bubbling in the heat of the day.

Is there any way to fix the bubbles? Should I puncture them?

Mark

Did you use a paint specifically formulated for concrete? Paint
products vary widely in their properties,. For example, acrylics are
superior for outdoor use, polyurethanes are best for wear resistance
and epoxies are noted for good adhesion to concrete. Consider visiting
a real paint store, like Sherwin-Williams, for advice and council, in
addition to a phone call to customer service of the company that made
your paint. Understanding the product is the key to success. Good luck.

Joe

Mark K January 20th 07 12:04 PM

New acrylic paint on concrete is bubbling

Hi

No it's 15 yrs old. I etched it as that was the preperation the
instructions on the can gave and no primer was recomended

Cheers

Mark K January 20th 07 12:05 PM

New acrylic paint on concrete is bubbling

Hi
About 18 hours

Cheers
Mark

On Jan 19, 11:33 pm, " wrote:
Norminn wrote:
Mark K wrote:

Hi

I applied a new coat ofacrylicpaintonconcretea couple of days ago.

I etched theconcretewith commercial etching solution and ensured it
was clean before applying thepaint.

It is nowbubblingin the heat of the day.

Is there any way to fix the bubbles? Should I puncture them?

Mark

Newconcrete? No primer? Why did you etch it?how long did you let theconcretedry after cleaning and etching- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -

Mark K January 20th 07 12:07 PM

New acrylic paint on concrete is bubbling

Thanks Dave

Yes, I've asked at the place I bought it from. They are going to get
somebody to call - no luck yet.

Mark

Mark K January 20th 07 12:09 PM

New acrylic paint on concrete is bubbling

Hi

I've followed the instructions exactly. Humidity 50% & 24Celcius

Cheers
Mark

Mark K January 20th 07 12:12 PM

New acrylic paint on concrete is bubbling

Hi
I told the harware where I bought it that it was for concrete. They
recomnded this acrylic paving paint.

Cheers
Mark

On Jan 20, 3:00 am, "Joe" wrote:
Mark K wrote:
Hi

I applied a new coat ofacrylicpaintonconcretea couple of days ago.

I etched theconcretewith commercial etching solution and ensured it
was clean before applying thepaint.But was it bone dry?

the sagacious dolt January 20th 07 01:19 PM

New acrylic paint on concrete is bubbling

"Mark K" wrote in message
ups.com...
| Hi
|
| I applied a new coat of acrylic paint on concrete a couple of days
ago.

| I etched the concrete with commercial etching solution and ensured it
| was clean before applying the paint.
|
| It is now bubbling in the heat of the day.
|
| Is there any way to fix the bubbles? Should I puncture them?
|
| Mark

the paint should be "epoxy acrylic" NOT "acrylic"

concrete stain works better.
http://www.concrete-stains.com/

Tom The Great January 20th 07 04:32 PM

On 19 Jan 2007 02:26:30 -0800, "Mark K" wrote:

Hi

I applied a new coat of acrylic paint on concrete a couple of days ago.

I etched the concrete with commercial etching solution and ensured it
was clean before applying the paint.

It is now bubbling in the heat of the day.

Is there any way to fix the bubbles? Should I puncture them?

Mark

imho:

I was warned against using regular paint on concrete, that moisture
will migrate and seperte the paint from the concrete, especially if
you seal. I'm guessing this bubble is just that.

I'm guessing here, but many concrete paints are epoxies. Might be a
reason for that.

tom @ www.Consolidated-Loans.info

Norminn January 20th 07 05:28 PM

Mark K wrote:
Hi

I applied a new coat of acrylic paint on concrete a couple of days ago.

I etched the concrete with commercial etching solution and ensured it
was clean before applying the paint.

It is now bubbling in the heat of the day.

Is there any way to fix the bubbles? Should I puncture them?

Mark

I looked at some of the thread, and your replies. This is a deck or
patio? My guess, if the paint wasn't defective, is that you did not
allow sufficient time in dry weather for drying - 2 or 3 days min.
Concrete always has some moisture, which is why water based paint is
best. Some idea of the size of the job and how extensive the bubbling
is will help. Small bubbles can be poked with a pin - it allows
moisture to escape, the bubbles flatten, and if the paint film is
otherwise intact and secure they won't show as much. If there is
abrasion or if you pressure wash after, then, of course, the loose paint
would likely come off.

Another possibility is that the acid wasn't washed off thoroughly and
the reaction continued after you painted, forming gas under the paint
film.

If you need to pressure wash and start over, I can give you tips in how
to contain all the loose paint that comes off :o) Hubby and I invented
a method when our condo (peeling very badly) was repainted several years
ago - the contractor was impressed :o)

DanG January 20th 07 09:02 PM

New acrylic paint on concrete is bubbling

Did you perform a chloride test on the concrete before you decided
to paint?

Do the bubbles contain water?

I suspect you have hydrostatic pressure pushing water up. All
concrete paints and sealers require testing and understanding of
water perms. There are many floor finishes/sealers/adhesives/
that cannot be used with concrete floors that have a water
transmission factor above a certain level.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DanG

Mark K January 27th 07 01:26 PM

New acrylic paint on concrete is bubbling

Many thanks for your reply. I have been away OS for work, so have not
had a chance to get back.

It is the "veranda" along the side of the house. A covered walkway to
our front door - not a lot of traffic though. The bubbling is from the
size of a coin to 3 or 4 times that size.

some tips on the "pressure wash and start over" may be handy in time
by the looks of it.

Many thanks, Mark

Mark K January 27th 07 01:28 PM

New acrylic paint on concrete is bubbling

Many thanks. It is frustrating when one seeks advise from the hardware
store, follow the instructions and now this.

Cheers
Mark

On Jan 21, 6:02 am, "DanG" wrote:
Did you perform a chloride test on theconcretebefore you decided
topaint?

Do the bubbles contain water?

I suspect you have hydrostatic pressure pushing water up. Allconcretepaints and sealers require testing and understanding of
water perms. There are many floor finishes/sealers/adhesives/
that cannot be used withconcretefloors that have a water
transmission factor above a certain level.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DanG
A live Singing Valentine quartet,
a sophisticated and elegant way to say I LOVE YOU!
(local)http://www.singingvalentines.com/(national)

"Mark K" wrote in oglegroups.com...

Hi

I applied a new coat ofacrylicpaintonconcretea couple of
days ago.

I etched theconcretewith commercial etching solution and
ensured it
was clean before applying thepaint.

It is nowbubblingin the heat of the day.

Is there any way to fix the bubbles? Should I puncture them?

Mark- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -

m Ransley January 27th 07 02:24 PM

New acrylic paint on concrete is bubbling

You might be lucky and have whats left last, if you do remove it with a
power washer dont guess buy a moisture meter to check the concretes
dryness.

Norminn January 27th 07 02:32 PM

Mark K wrote:

Many thanks. It is frustrating when one seeks advise from the hardware
store, follow the instructions and now this.

First commandment for DIYers: Don't seek advice from your brother-in-law
or any sales clerk :o)

Second commandment: RTFL.