DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Water Valve Question (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/189056-water-valve-question.html)

Dimitrios Paskoudniakis January 14th 07 01:13 AM

Water Valve Question

OK, recently purchased and moved into previously owned home with well and
house pre-filter.

Just backwashed the filter for the first time by opening the handle valve.
Shut the valve, water pressure problem solved. New problem - very slow
steady drip at the backwash valve.

Is there a simple solution or is it call the plumber time?

Edwin Pawlowski January 14th 07 02:46 AM

Water Valve Question

"Dimitrios Paskoudniakis" wrote in message
OK, recently purchased and moved into previously owned home with well and
house pre-filter.

Just backwashed the filter for the first time by opening the handle valve.
Shut the valve, water pressure problem solved. New problem - very slow
steady drip at the backwash valve.

Is there a simple solution or is it call the plumber time?

Depends. If it is the packing, you will want to try tightening the nut on
top. If it is the valve dripping from the outlet, there may be some crap
stuck in there. Open it and let it flush, then close again. If that does
not fix it, a new washer is needed. Simple fix, but the water must be turned
off.

What type of filter gets backwashed? Most residential filters are just
replaceable elements. I don't think I want my drinking water passed through
a backwash type of filter.

Dimitrios Paskoudniakis January 14th 07 04:45 PM

Water Valve Question

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
. net...

[...]

This kind:

http://www.honeywell.ca/braukmann/products/f76.htm

Edwin Pawlowski January 15th 07 03:31 AM

Water Valve Question

"Dimitrios Paskoudniakis" wrote in message
What type of filter gets backwashed? Most residential filters are just
replaceable elements. I don't think I want my drinking water passed
through a backwash type of filter.

This kind:

http://www.honeywell.ca/braukmann/products/f76.htm

Seems simple enough if it cleans it well. I'm just not keen on the sediment
being left in there for a long time and growing stuff, but it is easier than
changing cartridges.
Thanks.