Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Fireplace question/smoke smell in basement

We have a home that has a gas firplace in the basement and a wood
burning fireplace on the upper floor. When we start a fire in the
upper fp we smell smoke downstairs. There's no damper on the gas one
downstairs. The gas one has a pipe that goes up the brick work to the
outside. We noticed this smell got worse after we installed a chimney
cap for the wood fp. So does some of the smoke go down the pipe of our
basement gas fp? If that's the case what can we do to prevent this?

Thanks
JaKe
Seattle

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
We have a home that has a gas firplace in the basement and a wood
burning fireplace on the upper floor. When we start a fire in the
upper fp we smell smoke downstairs. There's no damper on the gas one
downstairs. The gas one has a pipe that goes up the brick work to the
outside. We noticed this smell got worse after we installed a chimney
cap for the wood fp. So does some of the smoke go down the pipe of our
basement gas fp? If that's the case what can we do to prevent this?

You have a couple of possibilities. When the gas fp is not burning, cooler
air may be rushing down the open flue. With the wood flue nearby, it will
carry down some of the smoke and odor. While a chimney cap is a good idea,
it will diffuse the smoke more than no cap where it would go straight up and
give less carry over.

Both should have caps to prevent birds and squirrels from getting in the
house (happens a lot, DAMHIK) and the gas should have a damper of some sort.

Posted to alt.home.repair

When you have a wood fireplace or stove, there is a draft of hot air which
goes up the chimney. This creates a "vacuum" inside the house.

There needs to be air coming into the house to supply the draft air for the
fireplace. If all of your windows are closed, the only way for air to enter
your house would be via the chimney in the basement!

So I think the basement chimney is sucking in air and it is also sucking in
smoke from your rooftop area.

The solution would be to crack a window near your fireplace.

wrote in message
We have a home that has a gas firplace in the basement and a wood
burning fireplace on the upper floor. When we start a fire in the
upper fp we smell smoke downstairs. There's no damper on the gas one
downstairs. The gas one has a pipe that goes up the brick work to the
outside. We noticed this smell got worse after we installed a chimney
cap for the wood fp. So does some of the smoke go down the pipe of our
basement gas fp? If that's the case what can we do to prevent this?

Thanks
JaKe
Seattle

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12 Jan 2007 23:58:14 -0800, "
wrote:

We have a home that has a gas firplace in the basement and a wood
burning fireplace on the upper floor. When we start a fire in the
upper fp we smell smoke downstairs. There's no damper on the gas one
downstairs. The gas one has a pipe that goes up the brick work to the
outside. We noticed this smell got worse after we installed a chimney
cap for the wood fp. So does some of the smoke go down the pipe of our
basement gas fp? If that's the case what can we do to prevent this?

Thanks
JaKe
Seattle

IMHO:

Fireplaces are like big air pumps. They move alot of air outside and
your house needs to make up for this movement. So it sounds like
'fresh air' is coming down your gas fireplaces flue. Since the cap
slighlty directs the smoke downward, it might be helping smoke reenter
your home.

I would look into getting the fire place a source of air, other than
your homes, install a door on the gas fireplace, and consult a
fireplace/chimney sweep expert for real help.

Just guesses....

tom @ www.FreeWorkAtHomeIdeas.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jake.
Since you are thinking of puting a bag over the chimney top, I am
gathering you are looking for an inexpensive solution for a gas
fireplace you do not use much. Since you do not have a damper at all i
would suggest an inexpensive chimney balloon for $40. You can buy them
online for whatever size flue you have. They blow up to seal off a flue
just like a damper only tighter. This will seal up your open fireplace
flue and you wont have to go on your roof to do it since the Balloon is
installed from the hearth area. This will eliminate the smoke problem
and also keep you from loosing heat out that open flue downstairs.
If you do buy one get a sized clear chimney balloon. The black one-size
fits all ones with the stick dont work well when there is no damper at
all.

Smoke smell upstairs Mike Home Repair 2 January 9th 06 12:06 PM
Smoke smell upstairs Mike Home Repair 0 January 9th 06 12:54 AM
smoke smell [email protected] Home Ownership 5 December 18th 05 09:39 PM
fireplace smoke mike Home Ownership 7 January 10th 05 03:23 PM
Help - I smell smoke Steve Woodworking 6 January 5th 05 04:42 PM