Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Active closet door knob.

Hi,

Does any company produce a closet doorknob with a deadbolt mechanism. I
don't want it to be lockable by a key, I just want it to be a privacy
knob on the outside and nothing on the inside. Think of it as a
one-sided privacy knob. Or as a half dummy trim that's not a dummy. I
have checked that Shlage and Kwikset don't such knobs.

Thanks!

Aaron Fude

Posted to alt.home.repair

OK, I'm confused.

AFAIK, a privacy lockset and a deadbolt lockset are two very different
animals.

Privacy locksets are typically spring loaded mechanisms with angled
latches while deadbolts are "fixed throw" mechanisms where the bolt is
either retracted into the lockset or extended into the jam.

If you are really looking for a deadbolt that is thrown by turning a
privacy-type knob, I'd be curious as to why. Could you explain further?

wrote:
Hi,

Does any company produce a closet doorknob with a deadbolt mechanism. I
don't want it to be lockable by a key, I just want it to be a privacy
knob on the outside and nothing on the inside. Think of it as a
one-sided privacy knob. Or as a half dummy trim that's not a dummy. I
have checked that Shlage and Kwikset don't such knobs.

Thanks!

Aaron Fude

Posted to alt.home.repair

When he comes home and the guy hides in the closet, he doesn't want him
to sneak out and get away. Otherwise, what's in the closet he needs
privacy FROM?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12 Jan 2007 17:09:39 -0800, "DerbyDad03"
wrote:

OK, I'm confused.

AFAIK, a privacy lockset and a deadbolt lockset are two very different
animals.

Privacy locksets are typically spring loaded mechanisms with angled
latches while deadbolts are "fixed throw" mechanisms where the bolt is
either retracted into the lockset or extended into the jam.

If you are really looking for a deadbolt that is thrown by turning a
privacy-type knob, I'd be curious as to why. Could you explain further?

And who's getting locked in the closet? :-)

wrote:
Hi,

Does any company produce a closet doorknob with a deadbolt mechanism. I
don't want it to be lockable by a key, I just want it to be a privacy
knob on the outside and nothing on the inside. Think of it as a
one-sided privacy knob. Or as a half dummy trim that's not a dummy. I
have checked that Shlage and Kwikset don't such knobs.

Thanks!

Aaron Fude

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,

Does any company produce a closet doorknob with a deadbolt mechanism. I
don't want it to be lockable by a key, I just want it to be a privacy
knob on the outside and nothing on the inside.

Doubt you will find one. Kids have a way of getting into closets and it is
not a safe way to set up the door. Chances of death are slim, but I would
not want my kids trapped like that. Same reason bathroom knobs have no key,
but can be popped open in an emergency with a straight wire.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The only purpose for the type of lockset you are describing is to lock
someone in a room without them having the ability to free themself. I
hope you are describing it incorrectly. If not, what are you doing?

Posted to alt.home.repair

The only purpose for the type of lockset you are describing is to lock
someone in a room without them having the ability to free themself. I
hope you are describing it incorrectly. If not, what are you doing?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hi,

Thanks to everyone who responded, including those who suspected me of
perversion.

The reason for my original question is very simple. I have a couple of
towel closets (that couldn't fit a wife's lover or even a kid) with
full size doors and they don't stay closed since the house is old and
they are a little crooked. All I want is for them to "click shut" and
not open, but there's no space on the inside for a knob. So there you
go.

Thanks again,

Aaron Fude

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

Thanks to everyone who responded, including those who suspected me of
perversion.

The reason for my original question is very simple. I have a couple of
towel closets (that couldn't fit a wife's lover or even a kid) with
full size doors and they don't stay closed since the house is old and
they are a little crooked. All I want is for them to "click shut" and
not open, but there's no space on the inside for a knob. So there you
go.

Thanks again,

That's exactly why they make "closet knobsets" that are identical to a non-lock
bedroom set except that there is no knob on one side. ANY place that sells
locksets will have these.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 13 Jan 2007 03:14:13 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

Does any company produce a closet doorknob with a deadbolt mechanism. I
don't want it to be lockable by a key, I just want it to be a privacy
knob on the outside and nothing on the inside.

If the door is thick enough, I think you can use a standard deadbolt
but not put on the keyhole side. I don't know if it needs the other
half at all or not -- I suspect not -- but if you have to modify
anything, I'll bet just stuffing a compressed paper wad in it might
make up for the missing piece.

I don't know why people think this is a bad idea. I've seen plenty of
cabinets and closets with the kind of lock you. Most of these were
smaller than what I recommend above. Maybe they were slam locks
(spring loaded with triangular bolts, but from the pov of the inside,
it doesn't matter if they were slam or dead.

Wouldn't you be just as well off with a slam lock?

Doubt you will find one. Kids have a way of getting into closets and it is
not a safe way to set up the door. Chances of death are slim, but I would
not want my kids trapped like that. Same reason bathroom knobs have no key,
but can be popped open in an emergency with a straight wire.

I don't think that is to protect kids especially. One can lock
himself out of the bathroom even if he is the only one who lives
there. So it's just a way to open the door if the door is locked and
then closed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"mm" wrote in message
I don't think that is to protect kids especially. One can lock
himself out of the bathroom even if he is the only one who lives
there. So it's just a way to open the door if the door is locked and
then closed.

Look up the statistics on falls, heart attacks, and other bathroom injuries.
It is one of the most dangerous rooms in the house and for safety, you want
a simple way in. The lock is meant for privacy, not to keep out burglars.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In that case, write "passage".

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

Thanks to everyone who responded, including those who suspected

me of
perversion.

The reason for my original question is very simple. I have a

couple of
towel closets (that couldn't fit a wife's lover or even a kid)

with
full size doors and they don't stay closed since the house is

old and
they are a little crooked. All I want is for them to "click

shut" and
not open, but there's no space on the inside for a knob. So

there you
go.

Thanks again,

Aaron Fude

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 13 Jan 2007 17:32:11 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"mm" wrote in message
I don't think that is to protect kids especially. One can lock
himself out of the bathroom even if he is the only one who lives
there. So it's just a way to open the door if the door is locked and
then closed.

Look up the statistics on falls, heart attacks, and other bathroom injuries.
It is one of the most dangerous rooms in the house and for safety, you want
a simple way in. The lock is meant for privacy, not to keep out burglars.

I agree. My mother never locked the bathroom door. I don't remember
for sure but I think in the house I grew up in, built around 1939, or
in the older houses she lived in earlier, there was any way to get in
if the door was locked. Is that possible?

But she never locked the bathroom door, and her reason was good, so I
never do either. If someone catches me naked, so be it.

I have these cheap all plastic doorknobs which lock by pushing the
knob towards the door. Easy to do by accident. And I've done it and
then closed the door a dozen times. So I keep toothpicks above the
door trim at each of the bathrooms, and at the closet that I put a
locking door knob on. In case I need privacy for a *thing*, I would
put it in the closet and lock the door. Someone could get in, but it
will slow them down. Even if someone tried to open the lock through
the little hole, they would probably use a screwdriver and try to
twist it, like non-cheap locks. With mine, you just push towards the
door.

I thought about buying fancier doorknobs, but I have 7 doors (4 that
lock) and didn't want to spend the money.
Posted to alt.home.repair

What you need is a "Ball clasp" they're like 10 bucks at home depot,
near the hinges, second shelf up.
They mount on the TOP of the door and are spring loaded... you could
also just google 'ball clasp' and it'll show you pictures of how it
works.

I did this in my house on three closets. Rather than bifold doors, we
went with full sized 30" interior double doors just to make it look
more luxurious. We then used "DUMMY" handles or "DUMMY" knobs, which
are basically just a drawer pull that looks like a doorknob. BUT, if
you go out and pick up the ball clasp you won't have to replace ANY of
your original hardware in your historic home.

Go with the smallest ball clasp they sell, they'll hold it fine and
save you a couple bucks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

you're right. it's BALL CATCH.
Sorry for the error folks.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=ball+catch

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Eric9822, Denigod wrote:
Not the only reason. Im looking for one to put on an outswing exterior door.
I want to only operate it from inside the house, and i want to give as little
opportunity to pull on the outside as possible.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ob-184407-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/29/17 10:14 PM, Denigod wrote:
replying to Eric9822, Denigod wrote:
Not the onlyÂ* reason.Â* Im looking for one to put on an outswing
exterior door.
I want to only operate it from inside the house, and i want to give as
little
opportunity to pull on the outside as possible.

You mean something like this:
https://www.thehardwarehut.com/catal...p?p_ref=269985

The style you are looking for is called "exit latch". Like used on a
fire exit door, etc
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to hvsteve, Ka**** wrote:
why would you care? it's what he wants, it's really nobody's business as to
why he wants what he wants as long as he's not doing anything illegal.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ob-184407-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 23 Feb 2019 21:14:05 GMT, Ka****
m wrote:

replying to hvsteve, Ka**** wrote:
why would you care? it's what he wants, it's really nobody's business as to
why he wants what he wants as long as he's not doing anything illegal.

Feel better now?

Door knob CJC UK diy 3 November 22nd 06 01:50 PM
Door knob problem Stormin Mormon Home Repair 0 December 6th 05 02:01 AM
Door knob problem Goedjn Home Repair 0 December 5th 05 04:50 PM
Door knob problem RicodJour Home Repair 0 December 4th 05 04:59 PM
Broken door knob steve cannon Home Repair 1 January 11th 05 11:46 PM