Posted to alt.home.repair

Default remove completely (?) air vent on steam riser

Hi,

there is an air vent on the stream riser pipe in my apt.
The vent usually goes bad and starts producing loud noises (like
banging
with a hammer). That I assume happens because the pressure on the
stream riser
pipe can be quite high at times.

I don't even know why the air vent was placed there on the first place.
There is just a whole drilled in the pipe and in this whole the vent is
screwed in.
I presume they placed the vent so that the stream rises faster.

Can I remove completely the vent and just place/screw a bolt
where the air vent was? I am hoping that would remove the loud banging
problems. Any suggestions?

TIA
michalis

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hammering sounds are usually caused by a slug of water trapped in the
pipes being slammed around by incoming steam. Try making sure all of
your radiators and any piping you see has a pitch back towards the
boiler. Shimming up the ends of the radiators and making sure the
pipes don't sag where they have long lateral runs

..