DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   oak flooring question (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/188241-oak-flooring-question.html)

rb January 5th 07 10:45 PM

oak flooring question

We have some very dark spots randomly about our tongue-in-groove oak
flooring that were uncovered when we pulled carpets up. Friends tell me
it's probably from pet urine from previous owners.

I intend to refinish the floors and stay with bare floors. What is a
chemical treatment I can use to lighten those spots during refinishing?

dpb January 5th 07 11:36 PM

oak flooring question

rb wrote:
We have some very dark spots randomly about our tongue-in-groove oak
flooring that were uncovered when we pulled carpets up. Friends tell me
it's probably from pet urine from previous owners.

I intend to refinish the floors and stay with bare floors. What is a
chemical treatment I can use to lighten those spots during refinishing?

Sand first, then oxalic acid. Either the direct crystals or it's the
most common active ingredient in the "wood deck cleaners". Go
carefully to not over-bleach.

rb January 6th 07 02:06 AM

oak flooring question

Thanks.

Edwin Pawlowski January 6th 07 04:21 AM

oak flooring question

"rb" wrote in message
We have some very dark spots randomly about our tongue-in-groove oak
flooring that were uncovered when we pulled carpets up. Friends tell me
it's probably from pet urine from previous owners.

I intend to refinish the floors and stay with bare floors. What is a
chemical treatment I can use to lighten those spots during refinishing?

Do what dpb told you. If it does not get it out to your satisfaction,
consider a stain on the wood to darken the rest of it so the spots don't
stand out as much.