DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Loud whistling sound from plumbing system (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/187906-loud-whistling-sound-plumbing-system.html)

[email protected] January 3rd 07 06:58 AM

Loud whistling sound from plumbing system

Hi all,

When we turn on the water anywhere in the house, there is a loud
whistling sound which sometimes is ear piercing. While the water is
running in one area and another faucet (or shower) is turned on, the
sound disappears. The house has two stories, built in early 1970s,
and has copper plumbing. Until now, we've never had any plumbing
problems. I assume this a water pressure problem. Would really
appreciate any suggestions on how fix it.

Thanks

Speedy Jim January 3rd 07 02:35 PM

wrote:
Hi all,

When we turn on the water anywhere in the house, there is a loud
whistling sound which sometimes is ear piercing. While the water is
running in one area and another faucet (or shower) is turned on, the
sound disappears. The house has two stories, built in early 1970s,
and has copper plumbing. Until now, we've never had any plumbing
problems. I assume this a water pressure problem. Would really
appreciate any suggestions on how fix it.

Thanks

Do a process of elimination.

If city water, see if there is a pressure regulator (PRV)
on the service. If so, see if it is making the sound.

Close the shutoff valves to each toilet and see if that
cures it. If it does, isolate further. Ballcocks
(toilet fill valves) sometimes create these effects.

If still no cause found, look for more clues; try closing
other parts of the system, shut off appliances, etc.

Jim

Tom The Great January 3rd 07 08:30 PM

On 2 Jan 2007 22:58:48 -0800, wrote:

Hi all,

When we turn on the water anywhere in the house, there is a loud
whistling sound which sometimes is ear piercing. While the water is
running in one area and another faucet (or shower) is turned on, the
sound disappears. The house has two stories, built in early 1970s,
and has copper plumbing. Until now, we've never had any plumbing
problems. I assume this a water pressure problem. Would really
appreciate any suggestions on how fix it.

Thanks

Your disk might be vibrating, as if it's loose. Have your plumber
look at it.

tom @
www.MeetANewFriend.com