Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Attic Ladder lets warm air out, cold air in

Recently the hinge on my attic ladder broke and my friend welded a
reinforcement strip of metal to the hinge to prevent a repeat. The
original manufacturer's design must have been a little off because the
hinge had been bending over a long period of time.

Unfortunalely without holding it in place with an unused closet pole,
the door now hangs down about a half inch, allowing a considrable
amount of cold air into the room from the attic. I now half to close
the door to that room or let my heater attempt to "catch-up".

What are my options to solve the problem. Perhaps some sort of
decorative "latch" attached to the frame to hold the attic door to the
ceiling. Has anyone else done this? What works best? I'd like a
solution that solves the problem and still allows it to look okay. I
used wood trim previously to frame out the opening and all is painted
white. Buying a whole new attic ladder seems overkill and unneccessary
as the ladder itself works nicely otherwise and doesn't leak air (not
noticable) if fully closed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article om, "1_Patriotic_Guy" wrote:
Recently the hinge on my attic ladder broke and my friend welded a
reinforcement strip of metal to the hinge to prevent a repeat. The
original manufacturer's design must have been a little off because the
hinge had been bending over a long period of time.

It's also possible that the installation was "a little off", causing the hinge
to be stressed when the ladder was operated.

Unfortunalely without holding it in place with an unused closet pole,
the door now hangs down about a half inch, allowing a considrable
amount of cold air into the room from the attic. I now half to close
the door to that room or let my heater attempt to "catch-up".

I guess your buddy with the welder might not have gotten things lined up quite
the way they were before...

What are my options to solve the problem. Perhaps some sort of
decorative "latch" attached to the frame to hold the attic door to the
ceiling. Has anyone else done this? What works best? I'd like a
solution that solves the problem and still allows it to look okay.

Buy a replacement hinge -- you can probably get one from the manufacturer.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

Unfortunately, the original hinge design isn't the best. (not apparant
until ladder has been used 30 or 40 times). Menards probably supplied
their store from some overseas manufacturer that didn't test the design
properly. Buying new from the manufacturer just recreates the original
problem and I'll have another bent/broken hinge 3 years down the road.

Doug Miller wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

1_Patriotic_Guy wrote:
[...]

Rig a "screen door latch?" The kind that click shut under spring tension.

Beef up the springs - perhaps they're adjustable?

A counter-weight?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 3 Jan 2007 09:01:01 -0600, "HeyBub"
wrote:

1_Patriotic_Guy wrote:
[...]

Bungie cords or a pair of long extension springs, screwed to
the first section of ladder and the roof. Or big-ass
magnets and a metal plate. How much force is needed to
keep the thing in the fully closed position?

Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

1_Patriotic_Guy wrote:

[...]

Since you had to reassemble it, are you sure you got the springs
re tensioned the way they're supposed to be? In mine, the springs have
to be routed over a pair of metal bars that hold them away from the
opening.

I'd go to a hardware store (or even a neighbor's house) and compare with
how they look when properly assembled.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3 Jan 2007 04:00:37 -0800, "1_Patriotic_Guy"
wrote:

[...]

imho:

I installed a sash lock on my attic door, with weather stripping
around the edge.

This seems to have worked for me, but I've been looking at the "pink
cap" from OC to further minimize air leakage.

tom @ www.FreeCreditCheckGuide.com

Heat basement with warm attic air thelooch Home Repair 6 May 23rd 06 05:00 PM
Cold air blowing outta cold air return vents when blower's not running [email protected] Home Ownership 2 December 19th 05 12:33 PM
Warm Air Units Uk gastec UK diy 74 December 1st 05 11:04 PM
Warm air or radiators Ronald UK diy 18 April 25th 05 08:48 AM
Attic Split System Air Conditioner Question: Outside Air From ? Robert11 Home Repair 2 April 24th 05 05:16 PM