DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Exterior door for Bilco entrance.... (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/187317-exterior-door-bilco-entrance.html)

[email protected] December 28th 06 02:34 PM

Exterior door for Bilco entrance....

Was thinking about installing a pre-hung exterior door where our Bilco
steps enter our basement. Currently have an old-style tongue and
groove Z-brace door that leaks like a sieve! The rough opening is
perfect for a stock size door (36x80). I was thinking a steel
insulated door, but maybe wood might be the way to go (I assume the
Bilco traps a fair amount of heat in the summer, enough to buckle the
thin steel lining on the door), if I can find a decent wood door at a
decent price (I assume solid wood doors dont come cheap!)

My question is about the threshold. Since it will be a metal threshold
resting on concrete, I assume it will transfer an awful lot of cold
thru the metal. The cold in itself isnt a huge issue, but I also
assume it will start condensing on the warm side. What would be a good
way to try and isolate the threshold from the concrete? Can I just use
the foam strips that go between the wall sill plates and the
foundation?

I also wanted to see the threshold to the concrete for air infiltration
reasons........I was going to use an epoxy caulk, does that sound
correct?

Thanks in advance!
-Chris

Edwin Pawlowski December 28th 06 03:06 PM

wrote in message
My question is about the threshold. Since it will be a metal threshold
resting on concrete, I assume it will transfer an awful lot of cold
thru the metal.

No, it won't. It is physically impossible to transmit cold. You cannot
make cold either.

The cold in itself isnt a huge issue, but I also
assume it will start condensing on the warm side. What would be a good
way to try and isolate the threshold from the concrete? Can I just use
the foam strips that go between the wall sill plates and the
foundation?

Yes.

I also wanted to see the threshold to the concrete for air infiltration
reasons........I was going to use an epoxy caulk, does that sound
correct?

Or you can use a urethane adhesive.

willshak December 28th 06 03:15 PM

wrote:
[...]

I have an exterior steel door at the bottom of my Bilco steps. I just
stuffed fiberglass insulation under the aluminum threshhold. I never
noticed any condensation on the aluminum or steel, but I rarely use that
door.

--
Bill
in Hamptonburgh, NY