DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   wiring device mounting screws (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/187278-wiring-device-mounting-screws.html)

Nate Nagel December 28th 06 01:50 AM

wiring device mounting screws

what are they? 6-32? I have one recep. in the basement that I was
unable to remove from its metal box without snapping one of the mounting
screws. I am not quite ready to pull that wall down (I will in a couple
years when I'm more settled and get around to remodeling that space) in
the meantime I think I will just drill it out and glue a nut behind the
tab. But what size nut? My tap/die set and thread gauge is 50 mi. away
in my friend's garage :(

I think the girlie is starting to get annoyed at the various
half-installed devices hanging out of the walls around the house and I'd
like to make the house a little more aesthetically appealing (not to
mention safe) before it gets out of control.

thanks,

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

Speedy Jim December 28th 06 02:26 AM

Nate Nagel wrote:

what are they? 6-32? I have one recep. in the basement that I was
unable to remove from its metal box without snapping one of the mounting
screws. I am not quite ready to pull that wall down (I will in a couple
years when I'm more settled and get around to remodeling that space) in
the meantime I think I will just drill it out and glue a nut behind the
tab. But what size nut? My tap/die set and thread gauge is 50 mi. away
in my friend's garage :(

I think the girlie is starting to get annoyed at the various
half-installed devices hanging out of the walls around the house and I'd
like to make the house a little more aesthetically appealing (not to
mention safe) before it gets out of control.

thanks,

nate

They are 6-32.

If I had a tap handy, I'd simply tap it 8-32,
or self-tapping screw.

Jim

Don Young December 28th 06 02:34 AM

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
[...]

Receptacle box screws are 6-32 and ceiling box screws are 8-32.

Don Young

teshaf December 28th 06 02:55 AM

wiring device mounting screws

Go to the local Hardware store and tell the clerk you need a 6 way tap
for electrical boxes. It has 3 size taps on one ens and 3 other sizes
on the other. If the hole is too big for 6-32 then use the 8-32 tap and
so on.

Pete C. December 28th 06 03:23 AM

teshaf wrote:

Go to the local Hardware store and tell the clerk you need a 6 way tap
for electrical boxes. It has 3 size taps on one ens and 3 other sizes
on the other. If the hole is too big for 6-32 then use the 8-32 tap and
so on.

Second this, very handy. There is a three step version as well, a bit
cheaper that has 6-32, 8-32 and 10-32 which is all you really need.

Pete C.

buffalobill December 28th 06 09:01 AM

wiring device mounting screws

they were until the last guy stripped them with a wrong replacement.

SIX-IN-ONE TAPPING TOOL
Klein® 6-In-1 Tapping Tool - Six Thread Sizes 6-32, 8-32, 10-32,
10-24, 12-24 And 1/4-20 - Forms New Threads - Re-Forms Burred Threads -
Cleans Out Plaster Obstructions - Mfg...
627-20
300861 1+ $21.97

www.hdsupply.com

7/8" WALLPLATE SCREWS "PKG OF 50"
6-32 x 7/8" Wall Plate Screw "Pkg Of 50" - Ivory
LEVITON / 86500-PRT
301272 1-9 $5.69
10+ $5.19

6-32 X 1/2" PLATE SCREW "PKG OF 100"
6-32 x 1/2" Wall Plate Screw "Pkg Of 100" - White
327775 1-2 $3.98
3+ $3.74

Colbyt December 28th 06 05:49 PM

wiring device mounting screws

"buffalobill" wrote in message
oups.com...
they were until the last guy stripped them with a wrong replacement.

SIX-IN-ONE TAPPING TOOL
Klein® 6-In-1 Tapping Tool - Six Thread Sizes 6-32, 8-32, 10-32,
10-24, 12-24 And 1/4-20 - Forms New Threads - Re-Forms Burred Threads -
Cleans Out Plaster Obstructions - Mfg...
627-20
300861 1+ $21.97

Cost of a #6 or #8 sheet metal screw .015

Savings $21.95

Colbyt