Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cockroaches

How can i get rid of cockroches from my house. They always get access
to my kitchen.

Posted to alt.home.repair

waheed wrote:
How can i get rid of cockroches from my house. They always get access
to my kitchen.

Cockroaches can be a tough problem since even if you kill your roaches
there are more at the nieghbors place ready to move in.

1. Boric acid is a powder that can be sprinkled around the baseboard.
As a general household insecticide Boric Acid is safe enough to use
around children, and has been used in ointments and salves for diaper
rash on babies. It is also used, in a very dilute solution, as an
eyewash. It is effective but has to be cleaned up after use.

2. Cleanliness is numero uno. If you don't have the time or energy to
do this then hire or blackmail someone. The kitchen is the most
important. You can't be too thourough. Remove everthing from the
cabinets and put down boric acid. Concentrate also on the baseboards.
You could try caulking the baseboards and inside the cabinets. When
you are done the cabinets and floors should be squeaky clean.
Eliminate any open storage in your hous like cardboard boxes. Put
everything into neatly labeled plastic bins. If you have carpet
consider getting rid of it.

3. Some folk who don't have it to do the above will call a
professional exterminator. These guys will use deadly chemicals to
kill the scum suckers. I don't recommend this cause I don't like
poison. Be especially careful when you have kids or pets.

Posted to alt.home.repair

waheed wrote:
How can i get rid of cockroches from my house. They always get access
to my kitchen.

For a few of the big ones that manage to get inside, think cat.

If plagued by thousands of little ones, more extreme measure are required.

Posted to alt.home.repair

waheed wrote:
How can i get rid of cockroches from my house. They always get access
to my kitchen.

A very effective roach bait can be easily made as follows:

1 cup boric acid
1/4 cup bacon grease
1/8 cup sugar
1/2 cup flour
2 tbs minced onion
water

Mix bacon grease, onion, & sugar. Mix flour & boric acid. Combine
ingredients. Add enough water to make a stiff dough. Roll in small
balls. Place in cabinets, under stove, behind refrig, etc. (DO NOT
place where children or pets can get to them). Keep excess in a baggie
in refrig. Replace every 4-6 weeks. Guaranteed to work!

Posted to alt.home.repair
Lar Lar is offline

waheed wrote:
How can i get rid of cockroches from my house. They always get access
to my kitchen.

Are you dealing with German roaches that are all in the cabinets around
the appliances or are you dealing with the large outdoor roaches coming in?

Lar

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 24 Dec 2006 06:01:41 -0800, "waheed" wrote:

How can i get rid of cockroches from my house. They always get access
to my kitchen.

Boric acid lightly dusted in areas or mixed with a small amount of
water to form a brush on solution. When wet the boric acid supposedly
has no affect, but once brushed on and allowed to dry will kill the
roaches that crawl over it. The solution will allow you to treat
vertical areas inside cabinets.

Recently I read about using "agricultural grade diatomaceous earth"
(AGDE). This is not the same as that used in swimming pools. AGDE is
not harmful to humans or animals. It is sometimes added to animal food
and has shown to reduce parasites in animals.

"Sprinkle in areas where ants and roaches are present or areas in
which they run, such as baseboards, under sinks, etc. "

--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair
Lar Lar is offline

Lawrence wrote:

1. Boric acid is a powder that can be sprinkled around the baseboard.
As a general household insecticide Boric Acid is safe enough to use
around children, and has been used in ointments and salves for diaper
rash on babies. It is also used, in a very dilute solution, as an
eyewash. It is effective but has to be cleaned up after use.

ewww wrong way to use it... BA is many times more toxic than any
insecticide commonly used for roach control, be it bought off of a shelf
or used by an exterminator. I most commonly see the "Roach Proof" type
powders sprinkled about the floor and in cabinets...if you can readily
see it it is being put out to heavy. BA is a repellent, so yes when it
is sprinkled about the roaches seem to disappear, but just out of sight.
If a child can get a pinch into their mouth and swallow it will be a
trip to the hospital and Boric Acid poisoning has no antidote.

2. Cleanliness is numero uno. If you don't have the time or energy to
do this then hire or blackmail someone. The kitchen is the most
important. You can't be too thourough. Remove everthing from the
cabinets and put down boric acid. Concentrate also on the baseboards.
You could try caulking the baseboards and inside the cabinets. When
you are done the cabinets and floors should be squeaky clean.
Eliminate any open storage in your hous like cardboard boxes. Put
everything into neatly labeled plastic bins. If you have carpet
consider getting rid of it.

Depends on the type of roach one is dealing with. The majority of the
homes I service are million dollar plus and with maids in a couple of
times a week if not more, cleanliness in these homes is usually not the
reason for the roaches.

3. Some folk who don't have it to do the above will call a
professional exterminator. These guys will use deadly chemicals to
kill the scum suckers. I don't recommend this cause I don't like
poison. Be especially careful when you have kids or pets.

The toxicity of chemicals are compared to each other by a measurement
called an LD50...the lower the number the more toxic the product. The
LD50 of boric acid for rats is around 2660, relatively safe to be
around. Any of the insecticides you are fearing from a pro will be in
100,000 plus range and off of the store shelves could be close to
doubling that. The use of knowledge, hopefully what using a pro would
bring into the home, around the kids can be more beneficial than some of
what I see in the name of protecting children and pets from "toxins".

Lar
Posted to alt.home.repair

Lar wrote:

The toxicity of chemicals are compared to each other by a measurement
called an LD50...the lower the number the more toxic the product. The
LD50 of boric acid for rats is around 2660, relatively safe to be
around.

My exposure to "LD50" considerations was when the US Military was trying
to get volunteers to take anthrax vaccination shots. They wanted to
impress people with just how deadly anthrax is. "LD50" is the Leathal
Dose (in grams????) which will kill 50% of the population. [I seem to
remember a gram of anthrax will kill sheep a mile away!]
Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Yes, cats can be helpful. An indoor cat is looking for something to hunt,
particularly if you have one with lots of hunting talent. Our cat will track
a small fly, following it through the house until either the fly dies or the
cat kills it. We once had what looked like a roach in the house right after
bringing in some bulk vegetables. The only reason we knew about it is the
cat was playing with it and wanted to show us what it had caught. We
finished it off for the cat and got rid of it. If there were any more the
cat didn't tell us, and we never saw any.

"HeyBub" wrote in message
waheed wrote:
How can i get rid of cockroches from my house. They always get access
to my kitchen.

For a few of the big ones that manage to get inside, think cat.

If plagued by thousands of little ones, more extreme measure are required.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 24 Dec 2006 14:51:45 -0500, "EXT"
wrote:

Yes, cats can be helpful. An indoor cat is looking for something to hunt,
particularly if you have one with lots of hunting talent. Our cat will track
a small fly, following it through the house until either the fly dies or the
cat kills it. We once had what looked like a roach in the house right after
bringing in some bulk vegetables. The only reason we knew about it is the
cat was playing with it and wanted to show us what it had caught. We
finished it off for the cat and got rid of it. If there were any more the
cat didn't tell us, and we never saw any.

We have a *fly-snapping dog*. Our cats have brought us many presents
over the years. It took us several days to capture and release a
chipmunk running around the house, one cat brought in to play with.
One year we kept seeing what looked like animal pieces on the porch;
turns out one had found a rabbit lair and was eating tiny bunnies,
leaving the kidney for us. Now and then a cricket gets in and cat is
right there to pounce.

"HeyBub" wrote in message
waheed wrote:
How can i get rid of cockroches from my house. They always get access
to my kitchen.

For a few of the big ones that manage to get inside, think cat.

If plagued by thousands of little ones, more extreme measure are required.

--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote:

Recently I read about using "agricultural grade diatomaceous earth"
(AGDE). This is not the same as that used in swimming pools. AGDE is
not harmful to humans or animals. It is sometimes added to animal food
and has shown to reduce parasites in animals.

"Sprinkle in areas where ants and roaches are present or areas in
which they run, such as baseboards, under sinks, etc. "

Use DE after cleanup, before pesticides. DE is not a toxin.
It's an abrasive. It perforates insects' exoskeletons, dehydrating
them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 24 Dec 2006 12:21:01 -0800, "Father Haskell"
wrote:

Oren wrote:

Recently I read about using "agricultural grade diatomaceous earth"
(AGDE). This is not the same as that used in swimming pools. AGDE is
not harmful to humans or animals. It is sometimes added to animal food
and has shown to reduce parasites in animals.

"Sprinkle in areas where ants and roaches are present or areas in
which they run, such as baseboards, under sinks, etc. "

Use DE after cleanup, before pesticides. DE is not a toxin.
It's an abrasive. It perforates insects' exoskeletons, dehydrating
them.

A serious abrasive for insects .. (even slugs - the reason I read
about it. ) microscopic fossils. They are harvested and DE for
pools which is heated, more like crystals does not have the same
affect (do not use other then pool filters). The un-heated fossil
(microscopic) maintains the fossil edges to better damage the insect.
The agricultural DE is even mixed in storage grain to reduce insects.

All things even I bet it works on crickets also.

--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Oren wrote:

[...]

I wonder if baited sheets of sandpaper wouldn't also work? Drywall
mesh might work even better. There's no way they couldn't try to
squeeze through without shredding themselves.

Posted to alt.home.repair

anews.com...

"HeyBub" wrote in message
waheed wrote:
How can i get rid of cockroches from my house. They always get access
to my kitchen.

For a few of the big ones that manage to get inside, think cat.

We lived in Texas from 1963 to 1966 and our Siamese cat killed all of the
big roaches. The small ones require chemicals.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Oren wrote:

[...]

I would not be sure sandpaper is best, never tried what you propose.
Roaches have a way getting in when you don't expect. Products from the
local Landscape Nursery gave me a massive amount of crickets one year.
I try to take the pre-emptive action. Stomp the roach and have one
less.

--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 24 Dec 2006 16:56:40 -0500, "Charles Schuler"
wrote:

tanews.com...

"HeyBub" wrote in message
waheed wrote:
How can i get rid of cockroches from my house. They always get access
to my kitchen.

For a few of the big ones that manage to get inside, think cat.

We lived in Texas from 1963 to 1966 and our Siamese cat killed all of the
big roaches. The small ones require chemicals.

During the '50's an 60's in Florida we had what was called a "Palmetto
Bug". These were huge creatures; 3 - 4 inches long, maybe 3/4 - 1"
wide. Unless you lived there and knew, you might think of them as a
"giant cockroach". Rarely did they get into the home. They looked the
same as a roach. I've seen large cockroaches "fly across a room",
even seen them drop the egg sack.

The small ones, yes, more difficult and they keep showing up.. Once I
was known to send poison down drains in a house and into a septic tank
system...disturbing the habitat.

--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 24 Dec 2006 18:40:57 -0500, wrote:

On Sun, 24 Dec 2006 14:49:30 -0800, Oren wrote:

During the '50's an 60's in Florida we had what was called a "Palmetto
Bug". These were huge creatures; 3 - 4 inches long, maybe 3/4 - 1"
wide. Unless you lived there and knew, you might think of them as a
"giant cockroach". Rarely did they get into the home. They looked the
same as a roach.

*

The farher you get from Florida the bigger the palmetto bugs seem to
get (at least in the stories).The winners in the contests seem to be
in the 1 ¼ -1½ inch range.

Like a fish story; those may be *snow-bird stories*. The widest I've
seen was about 1 " at any point, last seen in the many years ago.

You are right that they are not really that much of a pest unless you
are breeding them. I like to keep an assortment of tree frogs around

excuse Me, never did breed one...

in my screen cage and that holds them down to nothing. In spite of the
rumors, the anoles (lizards) are really not that much help. The anoles
are day time guys and the roaches arew usually out at night. A gecko
will take one though. They are also night guys. The tree frog is
probably the biggest predator. They will come from 50 feet away to
nail a palmetto bug .
We are now seeing another asian that is actually attracted to the
lights. They look somewhat like a german but a very pale tan, almost
white.

I've seen Anoles eat pests in daylight; given a shady ambush point.
Never did one eat a Palmetto Bug.....roaches - yes.

--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

waheed wrote:
They always get access
to my kitchen.

I saw a little info-mercial that claims

mix tabasco or hot-sauce with water.. shake and spray

(probably only use enough tabasco where you can't smell it)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 24 Dec 2006 16:56:40 -0500, "Charles Schuler"
wrote:

tanews.com...

"HeyBub" wrote in message
waheed wrote:
How can i get rid of cockroches from my house. They always get access
to my kitchen.

For a few of the big ones that manage to get inside, think cat.

We lived in Texas from 1963 to 1966 and our Siamese cat killed all of the
big roaches. The small ones require chemicals.

No. Some will always survive, mutate, and procreate. Problem not
solved.

This comes up periodically on the NGs.

Best long-range solution is plain boric acid, available at drug
stores, very inexpensive. Sprinkle at every possible opening to
kitchen and (if they have gotten into closets or drawers - shudder -
happened to me!) sprinkle under shelf/drawer liners. Happens more
slowly than with harsh chemicals, but happens permanently.

Good luck!

Posted to alt.home.repair
Lar Lar is offline

Stubby wrote:

Lar wrote:

The toxicity of chemicals are compared to each other by a measurement
called an LD50...the lower the number the more toxic the product. The
LD50 of boric acid for rats is around 2660, relatively safe to be around.

My exposure to "LD50" considerations was when the US Military was trying
to get volunteers to take anthrax vaccination shots. They wanted to
impress people with just how deadly anthrax is. "LD50" is the Leathal
Dose (in grams????) which will kill 50% of the population. [I seem to
remember a gram of anthrax will kill sheep a mile away!]

it's measured in milligrams per kilograms of body weight...boric acid
for example with the oral of 2660 for rats would be if 50 rats all
weighing exactly 1 kilogram (2.2 lbs) and you fed all 2660 milligrams of
BA, 25 of them would die from that feeding

not sure what the oral ld50 for anthrax would be, but believe the
inhalation ld50 for it is measure in a number of spores...
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 24 Dec 2006 06:01:41 -0800, "waheed" wrote:

How can i get rid of cockroches from my house. They always get access
to my kitchen.

Boric acid is good, and cheap. I don't see any point to putting it
where people can see it. I put it behind the stove and other places
by the baseboards where it couldn't be seen.

Sprayers that spray a stream, rather than a cloud, are good. That is,
no aerosol cans. Rather get a half-gallon or gallon can with a hose
with a sprayer on the end, and spray the poison into cracks etc.

I lived in Brooklyn NY for 12 years and only had roaches for 2 of
them.

The owner of the building never hired an exterminator, so eventually I
was losing the battle. Finally bombing the place worked well. I
don't know if they sell such things outside of areas like the parts of
NY with lots of apartments, so go there if you have to. It's an
aerosol can, and I had one for the kitchen and one for the other 5
rooms, and it sits on the floor with the nozzle pointing up, and once
you open it, you have to get out of the place quickly and it sprays
its cloud until the can is empty. The mist fills every crack. And it
worked . All the roaches were dead. And they stayed dead for 3 or 4
years. (some stories about insects say you have to do something again
when the last set of eggs hatch, but that didnt' seem to the case with
roaches.)

Be careful not to turn th elights on or off until the cloud is
disburse. The spark can ignite the cloud, but you shouldn't be there
anyhow for 24 hours. I had my roommates stay somewhere else that
night.

Maybe you can get these things mail order over the internet. I think
in the 70's and 80's they had them at regular hardware stores in NY,
but maybe I had to go to an exterminator.

Also they make good Christmas snacks. There is still time to catch a
bunch before dinner.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 24 Dec 2006 06:01:41 -0800, "waheed" wrote:

How can i get rid of cockroches from my house. They always get access
to my kitchen.

By he way, I think the boric acid kills by clogging the holes in their
thorax through which they "breathe". I wouldn't eat the stuff myself,
but it's not poisonous to humans just lying on the floor. We breathe
differently.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Red is offline

mm wrote:
On 24 Dec 2006 06:01:41 -0800, "waheed" wrote:

How can i get rid of cockroches from my house. They always get access
to my kitchen.

By he way, I think the boric acid kills by clogging the holes in their
thorax through which they "breathe". I wouldn't eat the stuff myself,
but it's not poisonous to humans just lying on the floor. We breathe
differently.

I heard it clogs their butt, gives them gas they can't pass, & pops
their gut.
;)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 24 Dec 2006 06:01:41 -0800, "waheed" wrote:

How can i get rid of cockroches from my house. They always get access
to my kitchen.

Good Grief......
It's Christmas. Please refrain from using the word COCK on
Christmas.......

Posted to alt.home.repair

waheed wrote:
How can i get rid of cockroches from my house. They always get access
to my kitchen.

=============

yep

You've probably heard the story about cockroaches surviving a nuclear
war: we die but they live! This is supposed to make you feel better
when you have trouble getting rid of these critters.
So, the real truth: radiologists have found that humans can safely
withstand a one-time exposure of 5 rems (A "rem" is the dosage of
radiation that will cause a specific, measured amount of injury to
human tissue). A lethal dose is 800 rems or more (people are exposed to
about 16 rems during their lifetime).

Insect researchers have found that cockroaches can tolerate a much
higher dose -- really higher! The lethal dose for the American
cockroach is 67,500 rems and for the German cockroach it is between
90,000 and 105,000 rems (yikes!). In truth the amount of radiation that
cockroaches can withstand is equivalent to that of a thermonuclear
explosion. So, show a little respect the next time your chasing one
through the kitchen with a spray can in your hand!

from: http://www.thaibugs.com/Articles/roach.html

Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Red is offline

naked on the phone wrote:

Insect researchers have found that cockroaches can tolerate a much
higher dose -- really higher! The lethal dose for the American
cockroach is 67,500 rems and for the German cockroach it is between
90,000 and 105,000 rems (yikes!). In truth the amount of radiation that
cockroaches can withstand is equivalent to that of a thermonuclear
explosion. So, show a little respect the next time your chasing one
through the kitchen with a spray can in your hand!

After a bad day of dealing with insects, I tried a little experiment.
I put a spider in the microwave & turned it on. It lasted about 1/2
second. Then I put a Japanese ladybug in there & turned it on. It
walked around like it was unaffected for at least 30 seconds. I
figgured if it was that tough it deserved to be let free, so I did.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Red wrote:

After a bad day of dealing with insects, I tried a little experiment.
I put a spider in the microwave & turned it on. It lasted about 1/2
second. Then I put a Japanese ladybug in there & turned it on. It
walked around like it was unaffected for at least 30 seconds. I
figgured if it was that tough it deserved to be let free, so I did.

choices choices

you was probably scared the lady bug would explode
but her wings were probably denser than the microwaves

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 24 Dec 2006 06:01:41 -0800, waheed wrote:

How can i get rid of cockroches from my house. They always get access
to my kitchen.

Ask Tony Montagna.

--
"Due to circumstances beyond your control, you are master of your fate and
captain of your soul."

12/25/2006 9:07:12 PM
Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.entomology.cornell.edu/Ex...ckroaches.html

waheed wrote:
How can i get rid of cockroches from my house. They always get access
to my kitchen.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Red wrote:

After a bad day of dealing with insects, I tried a little experiment.
I put a spider in the microwave & turned it on. It lasted about 1/2
second. Then I put a Japanese ladybug in there & turned it on. It
walked around like it was unaffected for at least 30 seconds. I
figgured if it was that tough it deserved to be let free, so I did.

aaah, you was scared

why didn't you finish the job

when we was teens growing up, we walked into a 7-11, we stuck a ho ho,
in the mircrowave... it started to burn, we freaked the cashier out, we
told her it was a cat
~we had her going real good!

on another note, i read you can make a hard-core arc welder with the
transformers found in a common microwave, (yule need about 6-8 good
ones)