Posted to alt.home.repair
Ook Ook is offline

Default House wiring question.

I'm wiring up some outlets in my garage. I have a receptacle, wire going in
the box, wire coming out and going to the next box. The receptacle is a
standard receptacls, and has two screws for the neutral wire, two screws for
the hot wire, but only one screw for the ground wire. I hook the hot and
neutral wires to the respective screws, works fine.What is the correct way
to wire up the ground wire? Can I put both of them on the same screw? It
seems to be secure, but it is it the correct way to do this?

Posted to alt.home.repair

I usually wrap the two grounds together and then attach one of the
ground wires to the screw, cutting the other one a little shorter.

(I am NOT an electrician)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ook wrote:
I'm wiring up some outlets in my garage. I have a receptacle, wire going in
the box, wire coming out and going to the next box. The receptacle is a
standard receptacls, and has two screws for the neutral wire, two screws for
the hot wire, but only one screw for the ground wire. I hook the hot and
neutral wires to the respective screws, works fine.What is the correct way
to wire up the ground wire? Can I put both of them on the same screw? It
seems to be secure, but it is it the correct way to do this?

Take a look at the diagram at:

http://img.timeinc.net/toh/images/el...outlets01t.jpg

In other words, connect the ground wire with a pig tail to the screw on
top of the outlet. I wouldn't use the same screw. Home Depot, actually
has some pre-made pig tails, but using those only make sense if you are
going to do a lot of them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Depending on who you ask the important thing is secure a good continuous
mechanical connection through the circuit. Being in the garage check to see
because some codes require a GFCI circuit in the garage area. You can wrap
take a bare copper (ground) wire and run to the ground connection, of the
outlet, then secure it to the remaining wire runs with a lug nut or most
just pull enough wire out of the outlet and loop the connections or cut it
and make your splices there. The important thing, again, is maintaining the
integrity of the ground through your outlets. Make sure that your HOT
(Black) wire goes into the proper position on the receptacle and maintain
that throughout each outlet or you risk electrocution. Each outlet has a
HOT side and a Neutral side but sounds like you already have that down.

On 12/23/06 8:50 PM, in article
, "Ook" Ook Don't send me any
freakin' spam at zootal dot com delete the Don't send me any freakin' spam
wrote:

I'm wiring up some outlets in my garage. I have a receptacle, wire going in
the box, wire coming out and going to the next box. The receptacle is a
standard receptacls, and has two screws for the neutral wire, two screws for
the hot wire, but only one screw for the ground wire. I hook the hot and
neutral wires to the respective screws, works fine.What is the correct way
to wire up the ground wire? Can I put both of them on the same screw? It
seems to be secure, but it is it the correct way to do this?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ps.com...
I usually wrap the two grounds together and then attach one of the
ground wires to the screw, cutting the other one a little shorter.

I don't trust just wrapping two grounds together.

If it's "new work" I use one of those wirenuts with a hole in the end and
leave the longer of the two ground wires uncut. Slip the wirenut over the
long wire and slide it down to where the second ground can be laid
alongside. Twist both wires together. If the ground wires have already
been but short, you just add a third through the hole.

I picked up some "pigtail" wirenuts (12 each in white, black, red, and
green) and they are useful when you have only a single device.

(I am NOT an electrician)

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ook Ook is offline

I have the hot/neutral stuff down . I've probably forgotten more about
electricity then most electricians will ever know. However, having said
that, I know squat about building codes. I decided to run a short wire from
the ground screw of the receptacle and use a wirenut to bind that to the two
ground wires running through the box. I gather that doing it that way meets
code, and it will probably work almost as well though I'll be the first to
admit I don't like using wire nuts, even if it is the time honored way to
wire houses. I've seen too many get hot because the connection wasn't as
good as it should/could have been.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ook Ook is offline

Ook wrote:
[...]

This is how I ended up doing it. I wasn't sure if code allowed two wires to
be attached to one screw or not, so I redid it like the picture shows.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Don't send me any freakin' spam wrote in message
I have the hot/neutral stuff down . I've probably forgotten more about
electricity then most electricians will ever know. However, having said
that, I know squat about building codes. I decided to run a short wire

from
the ground screw of the receptacle and use a wirenut to bind that to the

two
ground wires running through the box. I gather that doing it that way

meets
code, and it will probably work almost as well though I'll be the first to
admit I don't like using wire nuts, even if it is the time honored way to
wire houses. I've seen too many get hot because the connection wasn't as
good as it should/could have been.

Twist the wires together tightly with pliers and then twist on the wire
connector. You won't have a heat problem that way. Too often inexperienced
DIYers will just insert the wires into the wire connector and twist it on.
I think that the Scotchloks are the only brand that are approved for
non-twisted mechanical connection.

wrote:

I'm wiring up some outlets in my garage. I have a receptacle, wire

going
in
the box, wire coming out and going to the next box. The receptacle is a
standard receptacls, and has two screws for the neutral wire, two

screws
for
the hot wire, but only one screw for the ground wire. I hook the hot

and
neutral wires to the respective screws, works fine.What is the correct
way
to wire up the ground wire? Can I put both of them on the same screw?

It
seems to be secure, but it is it the correct way to do this?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Twisting the grounds together is perfectly acceptable and works fine.

--
Steve Barker

"John Gilmer" wrote in message

wrote in message
ps.com...
I usually wrap the two grounds together and then attach one of the
ground wires to the screw, cutting the other one a little shorter.

I don't trust just wrapping two grounds together.

If it's "new work" I use one of those wirenuts with a hole in the end and
leave the longer of the two ground wires uncut. Slip the wirenut over
the
long wire and slide it down to where the second ground can be laid
alongside. Twist both wires together. If the ground wires have already
been but short, you just add a third through the hole.

I picked up some "pigtail" wirenuts (12 each in white, black, red, and
green) and they are useful when you have only a single device.

(I am NOT an electrician)

Posted to alt.home.repair

It actually would have been more important to pigtail the hots and neutrals.
Putting one on each screw creates a situation where if one connection goes
bad, then you lose all your downstream current.

--
Steve Barker

"Ook" Ook Don't send me any freakin' spam at zootal dot com delete the
Don't send me any freakin' spam wrote in message
I have the hot/neutral stuff down . I've probably forgotten more about
electricity then most electricians will ever know. However, having said
that, I know squat about building codes. I decided to run a short wire from
the ground screw of the receptacle and use a wirenut to bind that to the
two ground wires running through the box. I gather that doing it that way
meets code, and it will probably work almost as well though I'll be the
first to admit I don't like using wire nuts, even if it is the time honored
way to wire houses. I've seen too many get hot because the connection
wasn't as good as it should/could have been.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ook" Ook Don't send me any freakin' spam at zootal dot com delete the
Don't send me any freakin' spam wrote in message
I'm wiring up some outlets in my garage. I have a receptacle, wire going
in the box, wire coming out and going to the next box. The receptacle is a
standard receptacls, and has two screws for the neutral wire, two screws
for the hot wire, but only one screw for the ground wire. I hook the hot
and neutral wires to the respective screws, works fine.What is the correct
way to wire up the ground wire? Can I put both of them on the same screw?
It seems to be secure, but it is it the correct way to do this?

Around here grounds are required to be crimped. I crimp them and put the
longer one on the outlet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

John Grabowski wrote:

Twist the wires together tightly with pliers and then twist on the wire
connector. You won't have a heat problem that way. Too often inexperienced
DIYers will just insert the wires into the wire connector and twist it on.
I think that the Scotchloks are the only brand that are approved for
non-twisted mechanical connection.

Ye Gads! I guess you learn something every day. I'm not an electrician
and I've always just worked on my own house, but I've never twisted the
wires first. However, I have always made sure that the wires are
securely fastened in the connector. The good news is that 20-years
later, I haven't had any problems. The bad news is that you've given me
yet another thing to worry about, but thanks anyway.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve Barker LT wrote:
It actually would have been more important to pigtail the hots and neutrals.
Putting one on each screw creates a situation where if one connection goes
bad, then you lose all your downstream current.

Which is a nuisance, but easily diagnosed and fixed. Losing your safety
ground is a potentially serious problem.

Chris

Posted to alt.home.repair

Toller wrote:
"Ook" Ook Don't send me any freakin' spam at zootal dot com delete the
Don't send me any freakin' spam wrote in message
I'm wiring up some outlets in my garage. I have a receptacle, wire going
in the box, wire coming out and going to the next box. The receptacle is a
standard receptacls, and has two screws for the neutral wire, two screws
for the hot wire, but only one screw for the ground wire. I hook the hot
and neutral wires to the respective screws, works fine.What is the correct
way to wire up the ground wire? Can I put both of them on the same screw?
It seems to be secure, but it is it the correct way to do this?

Around here grounds are required to be crimped. I crimp them and put the
longer one on the outlet.

That's what I use too. They have the little metal crimp widgets that
look like a small barrel. I leave one ground a lot longer, twist them
all together, slide the crimp barrel thing over them and crimp.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

You can't put them on the same screw, you can attach both wires to the box,
then use a self grounding outlet, or you can splice the two wires together,
using an approved method, then attach one to the receptacle. You can not
just twist the two wires together, cut one short and attach it to the
outlet, some mechanical means must be used to maintain continuity between
the ground wires

"Ook" Ook Don't send me any freakin' spam at zootal dot com delete the
Don't send me any freakin' spam wrote in message
I'm wiring up some outlets in my garage. I have a receptacle, wire going
in the box, wire coming out and going to the next box. The receptacle is a
standard receptacls, and has two screws for the neutral wire, two screws
for the hot wire, but only one screw for the ground wire. I hook the hot
and neutral wires to the respective screws, works fine.What is the correct
way to wire up the ground wire? Can I put both of them on the same screw?
It seems to be secure, but it is it the correct way to do this?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve Barker LT wrote:
It actually would have been more important to pigtail the hots and neutrals.
Putting one on each screw creates a situation where if one connection goes
bad, then you lose all your downstream current.

I think the regulations restrict the number of "devices" in a box, but
I don't know if wire nuts are considered to be a "device".