Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Hague water softener brine tank filling up

I have a Hague Watermax 94 water softener that's worked flawlessly for
8 years, but suddenly the brine tank has been filling up with water. I
didn't even realize it was happening until it overflowed and there was
water on the floor. I disconnected the small hose that goes to the
valve head and there's a constant trickle from it. Regeneration
results in all of the water being purged and around 4 inches of water
replaced, then slowly it starts to fill up again.

I don't know much about how softeners work, but I took the float unit
out of the brine tank. It has a plastic ball that (I think) is
supposed to float up and stop the flow of water once it reaches a
certain level. Is that how it's supposed to work? The ball moves
freely and the gasket it stops against seemed clean enough. Again, I
don't know much about them and no idea if the brine float unit is
solely responsible for stopping the flow, the valve head, or a
combination of both.

Unfortunately the local Hague dealer went out of business shortly after
they sold/installed the unit so I can't call them for help.

Thanks in advance for any help

Posted to alt.home.repair

bowlesm had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...up-178361-.htm
:
You need to replace the brine valve assembly. It is not shutting off but
there is not enough flow/pressure to shut off the tank float valve (it is
a check valve type that will always let water out but will shut off
incomming water when the float rises up). I assume it is recharging
properly?? Part number for the Brine Valve is 93514 around $20. It is
the little button that the cam on the end of the magnet wheel presses in
during brine recharge and tank fill operations (#2 and #4 on the clock)