Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,alt.home.repair

Default Gaps in floorboards & carpet & felt underlay

We have a small bedroom in a 1936 terraced house in north London. we have
decided to go for a new fitted carpet with a natural material underlay. (not
rubber underlay, which we suspect might deteriorate after ten or fifteen
years or so).

The wooden flooring has gaps pretty much all over up to roughly 5 cm where
the boards have shrunk over the years. with a few places with some shortish
strips up
to 1 cm wide, where the wood has been damaged at some point, probably we
guess before
laying them down.

We thought we would go for the most basic carpet from john Lewis with a
Hessian backing. It's about £20 sq metre. (we know the rubber back underlay
deteriorate because the carpet we pulled up and threw out was like a mass of
decayed bread crumbs underneath). John Lewis's felt underlay is £4.45 sq
metre, their basic carpet is £20 a square metre and the fitting charge is
£4.65 a square metre, since I don't think I could fit it myself.

Does all this sound a reasonable choice? And what please is it best to do
about the gaps between the floor boards especially the larger ones? Since I
would like to sort out the gaps in my own time before the carpet actually
arrives. Thanks for any advice.

Sanddust Mixed w/ Polyurethane to fill Gaps & Cracks Mako Home Repair 9 June 12th 18 04:09 AM
Solid Wood flooring & self-adhesive underlay SteveG UK diy 1 December 2nd 06 09:56 PM
Laying T&G Floorboards Kevin UK diy 2 October 30th 06 08:26 AM
Joining carpet 2 carpet & carpet 2 tiles JoeJoe UK diy 1 September 1st 06 07:24 AM
Underlay & Suspended Floor Séan Connolly UK diy 3 December 21st 05 11:12 AM