DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   How to clean a insta-hot water reservoir (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/186185-how-clean-insta-hot-water-reservoir.html)

Larry Bud December 17th 06 06:16 PM

How to clean a insta-hot water reservoir

I have an insinkerator insta-hot water dispenser in which the water has
gotten a funky smell to it.

The filter has been replaced, but the smell is clearly coming from the
reservoir. I disconnected everything and drain the reservoir (in which
the water definitely smells bad). What's the best product to clean
this thing out? My water has a lot of minerals and a fair amount of
rust in it, which was evident my examining the reservoir. So I can
pour stuff into this thing, but what will dissolve all the crap that's
in it?

Bob F December 17th 06 08:02 PM

How to clean a insta-hot water reservoir

"Larry Bud" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have an insinkerator insta-hot water dispenser in which the water has
gotten a funky smell to it.

The filter has been replaced, but the smell is clearly coming from the
reservoir. I disconnected everything and drain the reservoir (in which
the water definitely smells bad). What's the best product to clean
this thing out? My water has a lot of minerals and a fair amount of
rust in it, which was evident my examining the reservoir. So I can
pour stuff into this thing, but what will dissolve all the crap that's
in it?

Personally, I'd contact the manufacturer for this info.

Bob

Paul Franklin December 18th 06 04:55 AM

On 17 Dec 2006 16:16:22 -0800, "chuckster" wrote:

Vinegar. Let it sit for an hour, then flush out.

Bob F wrote:
"Larry Bud" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have an insinkerator insta-hot water dispenser in which the water has
gotten a funky smell to it.

The filter has been replaced, but the smell is clearly coming from the
reservoir. I disconnected everything and drain the reservoir (in which
the water definitely smells bad). What's the best product to clean
this thing out? My water has a lot of minerals and a fair amount of
rust in it, which was evident my examining the reservoir. So I can
pour stuff into this thing, but what will dissolve all the crap that's
in it?

Personally, I'd contact the manufacturer for this info.

Bob

Vinegar will help dissolve some mineral deposits. You can also use
the cleaner sold for coffee pots.

Also may want to disinfect, especially if the smell is musty/moldy.
Unplug or turn off power, fill with weak solution of chlorine laundry
bleach and water, let sit for 30 minutes or more, and then flush until
bleach odor is gone.

HTH,

Paul

Bob F December 18th 06 04:44 PM

"Paul Franklin" wrote in message
On 17 Dec 2006 16:16:22 -0800, "chuckster" wrote:

Vinegar. Let it sit for an hour, then flush out.

Bob F wrote:
"Larry Bud" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Some of these units have copper tanks. Some are plastic. I'd
be really careful about using bleach for any significant time on copper.
For that matter, the heating elements in the plastic ones could be
destroyed by it also.

Bob

Bob

Paul Franklin December 19th 06 03:10 AM

How to clean a insta-hot water reservoir

snip
Vinegar will help dissolve some mineral deposits. You can also use
the cleaner sold for coffee pots.

Also may want to disinfect, especially if the smell is musty/moldy.
Unplug or turn off power, fill with weak solution of chlorine laundry
bleach and water, let sit for 30 minutes or more, and then flush until
bleach odor is gone.

Some of these units have copper tanks. Some are plastic. I'd
be really careful about using bleach for any significant time on copper.
For that matter, the heating elements in the plastic ones could be
destroyed by it also.

Bob

Diluted bleach is routinely used to disinfect water systems,
particularly well water systems. Copper will react with highly
concentrated chlorine bleach, but it is a very slow reaction,
especially at room temperature. 30 minutes with diluted bleach will do
no harm whatsoever.

I've not seen an insta-hot with a plastic tank, although many have
plastic shrouds. If the heating tank itself is plastic, then I'd check
with manufacturer for disinfection instructions.

Paul