Posted to alt.home.repair
Sue Sue is offline

Default Garage Door Opener: Chain vs. Belt?

Any opinions on which is better, a chain or belt driven garage door opener?
I understand the belt driven are quieter, but are they better?
Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sue wrote:
Any opinions on which is better, a chain or belt driven garage door
opener? I understand the belt driven are quieter, but are they better?
Thanks!

I have used screw drives. They are quieter than chains and generally
don't require adjustments.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

I suppose you could ask the harley davidson people which is better. A chain
or a belt. If they can stand up to 100+ HP, i'd rekon they can lift a
garage door for many years.

--
Steve Barker

"Sue" wrote in message
. ..
Any opinions on which is better, a chain or belt driven garage door
opener?
I understand the belt driven are quieter, but are they better?
Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

I think it was "Steve Barker LT" who
stated:

I suppose you could ask the harley davidson people which is better. A chain
or a belt. If they can stand up to 100+ HP, i'd rekon they can lift a
garage door for many years.

I think you're a little confused here. 100+ HP Harley Davidson??

Heh, heh, heh . . . .

Chains are ALWAYS preferred on high-performance motorcycles. With good
reason; to handle 100+ HP, a belt would need to be WIDE.

-Don (riding a shaft-drive BMW)
--
"Trust me, there is NO way to nonchalantly conceal the fact that you have a
power tool in your head, no matter what you do." -- El Gato

Posted to alt.home.repair

Joseph Meehan wrote:
Sue wrote:
Any opinions on which is better, a chain or belt driven garage door
opener? I understand the belt driven are quieter, but are they better?
Thanks!

I have used screw drives. They are quieter than chains and generally
don't require adjustments.

I agree. My two chain drive units have lasted 20 years. I've never had
to adjust the chain tension, but I can see that I'm going to have to.
The screw drive seems like a better idea.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I think it was Mike Hartigan who stated:

In article ,
says...
I think it was "Steve Barker LT" who
stated:

I suppose you could ask the harley davidson people which is better. A chain
or a belt. If they can stand up to 100+ HP, i'd rekon they can lift a
garage door for many years.

I think you're a little confused here. 100+ HP Harley Davidson??

Heh, heh, heh . . . .

Chains are ALWAYS preferred on high-performance motorcycles. With good
reason; to handle 100+ HP, a belt would need to be WIDE.

Also consider a timing chain vs belt in a typical car engine. A belt
needs to be replaced at some prescribed interval, per the
manufacturer. A chain is generally expected to last the life of the
engine.

BUT, those are both HIGH stress applications; especially the car
engine, where the heat cycles are tremendous (from many degrees below
zero to a couple of hundred degrees above zero here in Minnesota
during some parts of the year that will be coming soon). I should
think that a belt that would last 60,000 miles in a car would last
hundreds of thousands of cycles in a garage door opener. If it were
engineered correctly.

-Don (seeing both sides of the issue)
--
"Trust me, there is NO way to nonchalantly conceal the fact that you have a
power tool in your head, no matter what you do." -- El Gato
Posted to alt.home.repair

belt drive much quieter, main advantage is never need to lube belt,
with chain or screw drive oil lube can get on vehicles.

belt drive is higher end unit, higher cost probably means slightly
better parts.

in any case openers last a long time and tend to work well. new ones
have superior safety features too...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Sue" wrote in message
. ..
Any opinions on which is better, a chain or belt driven garage door
opener?
I understand the belt driven are quieter, but are they better?
Thanks!

I have 5 double and one single garage doors and in the process of converting
all to belt drives. I had chain drives before and was just a constant PIA
for adjustment - never again. The screw drives were pretty good and
reliable. My first belt drive lasted about 15 years (broken belt) but my new
belt drives have a life time warranty on the belts. I have a belt drive with
battery backup in case of a power outage. Yes, its too quiet. My 1/2hp screw
seems to be a little stronger than my 1/2hp belt drive but if you have a
balanced door it doesn't matter too much. Belt drive usually mean
top-of-the-line and with that there are more options (bells and whistles) in
flexibility, controls and security. Chain drive is at the low end.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Belt drive garage door openers are quieter but not any more reliable than
their chain drive counterparts.
But quieter is better in my book.
Rich
http://www.garagedoorsupply.com

"Sue" wrote in message
. ..
Any opinions on which is better, a chain or belt driven garage door
opener?
I understand the belt driven are quieter, but are they better?
Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

And, how about the direct drive units
that connect directly to the pipe
above the door? These have been
available for commercial doors for
many years and I have now seen units for
home use. I have had a chain
drive unit for 32 year and it has been
some problems, but not that bad.
If I had to replace it now, I would
consider the direct drive. I know they
are a little more expensive than chain
or screw drive .... but anything "new"
usually is.

Rich wrote:
Belt drive garage door openers are quieter but not any more reliable than
their chain drive counterparts.
But quieter is better in my book.
Rich
http://www.garagedoorsupply.com

"Sue" wrote in message
. ..
Any opinions on which is better, a chain or belt driven garage door
opener?
I understand the belt driven are quieter, but are they better?
Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Art Todesco wrote:
And, how about the direct drive units
that connect directly to the pipe
above the door? These have been
available for commercial doors for
many years and I have now seen units for
home use.

who sells direct drive units? it might solve my clearance issues that
have prevented me from installing a opener in this garage.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 09 Dec 2006 18:16:31 GMT, "Sue"
wrote:

Any opinions on which is better, a chain or belt driven garage door opener?
I understand the belt driven are quieter, but are they better?
Thanks!

Although I have never had a belt drive I imagine the tension would be
greater on a belt drive, therefore stick with the chain. The bearings
that support the tension will last longer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

www.overheaddoor.com

--
Steve Barker