Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Gas or Electric Heat?

Which is cheaper, Gas or Electric?
I've got about 5 space heaters of various types in my house, but I
rarely turn them on because it seems like the Gas furnace is keeping up
well.

My furnace is about 3 years old, and is marked with an energy guide
sticker that says it's not all that efficient, though I'm not sure if
that's because the air conditioning uses a bunch.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com...
spake thus:

Which is cheaper, Gas or Electric?

Here (northern California), gas wins.

--

Gas is infinitely cheaper in western Washington.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
Which is cheaper, Gas or Electric?
I've got about 5 space heaters of various types in my house, but I
rarely turn them on because it seems like the Gas furnace is keeping up
well.

My furnace is about 3 years old, and is marked with an energy guide
sticker that says it's not all that efficient, though I'm not sure if
that's because the air conditioning uses a bunch.

In most places, gas is cheaper by far. Not knowing your rates, no one can
say for sure. Most of New England is 15¢ or more for electric making it
very expensive.

Go he http://www.warmair.net/html/fuel_cost_comparisons.htm and plug
in the numbers to see what the differences are. I avoid electric heat here
as it is about 60% more than oil.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8 Dec 2006 11:57:25 -0800, "
wrote:

Which is cheaper, Gas or Electric?
I've got about 5 space heaters of various types in my house, but I
rarely turn them on because it seems like the Gas furnace is keeping up
well.

My furnace is about 3 years old, and is marked with an energy guide
sticker that says it's not all that efficient, though I'm not sure if
that's because the air conditioning uses a bunch.

In my area gas heat is lower in cost. For most folks once you have
gas heat, nothing else is better! A gas furnace costs more up front,
but saves in the long run. I might choose electric if I planned on
selling the house soon.
Posted to alt.home.repair

much electric is made by burning gas to turn generators, this makes
electric cost more its a added step, with added expenses and mark up

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8 Dec 2006 11:57:25 -0800, "
wrote:

Which is cheaper, Gas or Electric?
I've got about 5 space heaters of various types in my house, but I
rarely turn them on because it seems like the Gas furnace is keeping up
well.

My furnace is about 3 years old, and is marked with an energy guide
sticker that says it's not all that efficient, though I'm not sure if
that's because the air conditioning uses a bunch.

Electric always costs more. The heat at the power company turns into
electric and you are turning that electricity back in to heat. It's
not efficient.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On 8 Dec 2006 11:57:25 -0800, "
wrote:

Which is cheaper, Gas or Electric?
I've got about 5 space heaters of various types in my house, but I
rarely turn them on because it seems like the Gas furnace is keeping up
well.

My furnace is about 3 years old, and is marked with an energy guide
sticker that says it's not all that efficient, though I'm not sure if
that's because the air conditioning uses a bunch.

Electric always costs more. The heat at the power company turns into
electric and you are turning that electricity back in to heat. It's
not efficient.

At 7 cents per KWH or less electric heat may well be cheaper than NG, oil
and for sure propane.

And yes that rate is available.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks guys.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 9 Dec 2006 21:39:14 -0500, "Colbyt"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
On 8 Dec 2006 11:57:25 -0800, "
wrote:

Which is cheaper, Gas or Electric?
I've got about 5 space heaters of various types in my house, but I
rarely turn them on because it seems like the Gas furnace is keeping up
well.

My furnace is about 3 years old, and is marked with an energy guide
sticker that says it's not all that efficient, though I'm not sure if
that's because the air conditioning uses a bunch.

Electric always costs more. The heat at the power company turns into
electric and you are turning that electricity back in to heat. It's
not efficient.

At 7 cents per KWH or less electric heat may well be cheaper than NG, oil
and for sure propane.

And yes that rate is available.

Colbyt

WHERE????

Doug
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Doug" wrote in message
On Sat, 9 Dec 2006 21:39:14 -0500, "Colbyt"
wrote:

wrote in message
. ..
On 8 Dec 2006 11:57:25 -0800, "
wrote:

Which is cheaper, Gas or Electric?
I've got about 5 space heaters of various types in my house, but I
rarely turn them on because it seems like the Gas furnace is keeping up
well.

My furnace is about 3 years old, and is marked with an energy guide
sticker that says it's not all that efficient, though I'm not sure if
that's because the air conditioning uses a bunch.

Electric always costs more. The heat at the power company turns into
electric and you are turning that electricity back in to heat. It's
not efficient.

At 7 cents per KWH or less electric heat may well be cheaper than NG, oil
and for sure propane.

And yes that rate is available.

Colbyt

WHERE????

Doug

Central Kentucky KU Energy Actual bill 10/26/06

base rate (not full electric) 0.053629343629344 per KWH
Actual rate with all the crap and taxes added on 0.068429858429858 per KWH

Total electric is a little cheaper.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

Central Kentucky KU Energy Actual bill 10/26/06

base rate (not full electric) 0.053629343629344 per KWH
Actual rate with all the crap and taxes added on 0.068429858429858 per KWH

Total electric is a little cheaper.

Colbyt

dont forget thesignificant cost to upgrade the service, plus to make
such a change cost effective electrical must be significantly less.

otherwise the capital costs will prevent payback/.

lets imagine a existing 3 year old 80% GAS FURNACE

now imagine electic per btu is less....

after paying or a new service, and new furnace the difference must be a
lot.......

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 16:09:22 -0500, "Colbyt"
wrote:

"Doug" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 9 Dec 2006 21:39:14 -0500, "Colbyt"
wrote:

wrote in message
On 8 Dec 2006 11:57:25 -0800, "
wrote:

[...]

What's the energy source for their generators? Hydroelectric?
Are you part of the Tennesse Valley Authority's hydroelectric
generating plants?

Nuclear?

Any fossil fuel generation can't supply electricity at those rates...
The parts of the USA that depend on fossil fuel generating plants have
to charge about 3 times your quoted rates. That's about 80% of the
country.

Doug

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Doug" wrote in message
On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 16:09:22 -0500, "Colbyt"
Central Kentucky KU Energy Actual bill 10/26/06

base rate (not full electric) 0.053629343629344 per KWH
Actual rate with all the crap and taxes added on 0.068429858429858 per
KWH

Total electric is a little cheaper.

Colbyt

What's the energy source for their generators? Hydroelectric?
Are you part of the Tennesse Valley Authority's hydroelectric
generating plants?

Nuclear?

Any fossil fuel generation can't supply electricity at those rates...
The parts of the USA that depend on fossil fuel generating plants have
to charge about 3 times your quoted rates. That's about 80% of the
country.

Doug

I am just a country boy so I'm not real sure. They haul a lot of coal over
there to that there plant.

Coal is a fossil fuel of sorts isn't it?

Maybe it is an abundant supply and a short haul that makes it so cheap.

I think you can view the rates online at kuenergy.com

I know it hurts to see prices that cheap. Bourbon costs a lot more.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

Which is cheaper, Gas or Electric [heat]?

I'm sure that varies by region, and by the availability of the fuel at the
time.

However, I prefer electric for a number of reasons, even if it isn't
necessarily the cheapest option.

1. Electricity can be generated in many different ways (hydroelectric, gas
fired plants, wind generators, coal generators, nuclear, fuel cells, etc.).
If one source runs low, there are other ways of generating electricity. So
it's fairly "future" proof. If you choose gas, you're basically stuck with
gas, even if supplies dwindle and get more expensive in the future.

2. Electric heat is 100% efficient. In other words, the heater I buy today
won't be "old technology" in a few years and need replacing. Of course, the
methods used to generate the electricity aren't 100% efficient, but those
improvements are made by the power company, not by me.

3. Electric heat is safe (barring flammables too close to the heater). No
worries of gas leaks, carbon monoxide poisoning, or explosions.

4. Electric heat is easy to zone. We installed individual electric wall
heaters (King Electric Pic-A-Watt heaters) in each room. This lets us heat
only the rooms we are in, and set the temperature lower in the bedrooms
than other rooms. This also means no ductwork to make noise, collect dust,
spread allergens, etc... Another benefit of individual zoned heaters is if
one fails, you still have heaters in other rooms to keep warm while you fix
it.

5. Electric heat doesn't pollute. Yes, some of the generating sources cause
pollution, but those are better monitored and regulated than home furnaces.

Just my 2 cents...

Anthony
Posted to alt.home.repair

"HerHusband" wrote in message

1. Electricity can be generated in many different ways (hydroelectric, gas
fired plants, wind generators, coal generators, nuclear, fuel cells,
etc.).
If one source runs low, there are other ways of generating electricity. So
it's fairly "future" proof. If you choose gas, you're basically stuck with
gas, even if supplies dwindle and get more expensive in the future.

Personally, I don't see this being a big factor for the n ext 30 to 50 years
or more. We shold have more methods though.

2. Electric heat is 100% efficient. In other words, the heater I buy today
won't be "old technology" in a few years and need replacing. Of course,
the
methods used to generate the electricity aren't 100% efficient, but those
improvements are made by the power company, not by me.

I'd have to pay a premeium of about $2,000 a year not to keep my old
technology. Since I've owned my house, translated to today's dollars, that
would be a $50,000 premium so far. No thanks, I'll take my chances with
having to replace my heater.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Doug wrote:
On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 16:09:22 -0500, "Colbyt"

Central Kentucky KU Energy Actual bill 10/26/06

base rate (not full electric) 0.053629343629344 per KWH
Actual rate with all the crap and taxes added on 0.068429858429858 per KWH

Total electric is a little cheaper.

What's the energy source for their generators? Hydroelectric?
Are you part of the Tennesse Valley Authority's hydroelectric
generating plants?

Nuclear?

Any fossil fuel generation can't supply electricity at those rates...
The parts of the USA that depend on fossil fuel generating plants have
to charge about 3 times your quoted rates. That's about 80% of the
country.

TVA grid-wide is roughly 60% fossil (coal-fired), 30% nuclear, and 10%
hydro.

The Paradise Fossil Plant is nearest to C KY, so would be fair to
assume most of his power is, in fact, from a coal-fired plant.

It's now been 5-6 years since I was last at Paradise when was
supporting an R&D effort to evaluate a new type of on-line elemental
analyzer to aid in their attempts at blending much higher percentages
of western low-sulfur coal. I presume but don't have recent data that
trend continues as well as adding scrubbers on at least one unit was in
the works.

All the info on the TVA grid is available at

http://www.tva.gov/power/index.htm
http://www.tva.gov/sites/sites_ie2.htm
http://www.tva.gov/sites/paradise.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

Edwin,

Personally, I don't see this being a big factor

None of the items are big decision makers, but viewed together electric
heat was the right choice for "me". Obviously, folks with high electric
rates and low gas rates will probably view things differently.

We were also building our own house, so individual electric wall heaters
were a good choice. Readily available, inexpensive, easy to install, easy
to maintain.

Also, our last house had an electric forced air furnace. It had a relay
fail one winter, which left us without heat for two weeks while we waited
for the part to be ordered. So, this reinforced the idea of multiple heat
sources for me.

Anthony
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Doug wrote:
On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 16:09:22 -0500, "Colbyt"

WHERE????

Doug

Central Kentucky KU Energy Actual bill 10/26/06

base rate (not full electric) 0.053629343629344 per KWH
Actual rate with all the crap and taxes added on 0.068429858429858 per KWH

Total electric is a little cheaper.

Colbyt

What's the energy source for their generators? Hydroelectric?
Are you part of the Tennesse Valley Authority's hydroelectric
generating plants?

Nuclear?

Any fossil fuel generation can't supply electricity at those rates...
The parts of the USA that depend on fossil fuel generating plants have
to charge about 3 times your quoted rates. That's about 80% of the
country.

TVA grid-wide generation mix is roughly 60% fossil (coal), 30% nuclear,
and 10% hydro.

Central KY would be closest to Paradise Fossil Plant so it's safe to
assume most of Colby's power is generated there (by burning coal).

It's been about 5-6 years since last I was there, but at that time they
were working very hard on blending coals to utilize far more western
low-sulfur coal than had been. I was there in support of a R&D project
to evaluate a new type of on-line elemental analyzer to hopefully use
its data as part of the blending operation. I got tired of the travel
after moving (Central City, KY, isn't the easiest place to get to from
W KW , despite being the home of the Everly Brothers), so left the
follow-on of the project to a colleague at Kingston so consequently
don't actually know how it turned out...of course, the local coal
producers of KY and IL were not pleased by the proposed shift and at
one time there was a major effort in state legislatures to require at
least a certain fraction of local high-sulfur coals be used by TVA to
support the local coal industry. Where that currently stands I also
don't know...

Everything (and more, undoubtedly) than you wanted to know...

http://www.tva.gov/sites/sites_ie2.htm
http://www.tva.gov/sites/paradise.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

JIm Baber wrote:

HerHusband wrote:

Which is cheaper, Gas or Electric [heat]?

If you are in California and get electricity from an investor owned
utility it is a sure bet that natural gas cost will be lower by a lot.

I'm sure that varies by region, and by the availability of the fuel at the
time.

However, I prefer electric for a number of reasons, even if it isn't
necessarily the cheapest option.

1. Electricity can be generated in many different ways (hydroelectric, gas
fired plants, wind generators, coal generators, nuclear, fuel cells, etc.).
If one source runs low, there are other ways of generating electricity. So
it's fairly "future" proof. If you choose gas, you're basically stuck with
gas, even if supplies dwindle and get more expensive in the future.

True, but they will pass those higher costs right straight to you plus
any allowed profit margin.

2. Electric heat is 100% efficient. In other words, the heater I buy today
won't be "old technology" in a few years and need replacing. Of course, the
methods used to generate the electricity aren't 100% efficient, but those
improvements are made by the power company, not by me.

Again, they will pass those improvement costs right straight to you
plus any allowed profit margin.

3. Electric heat is safe (barring flammables too close to the heater). No
worries of gas leaks, carbon monoxide poisoning, or explosions.

What about short circuits. rotting insulation on old wiring, bad
equipment, and similar problems. All heat sources have some kind of
problems, usually worsening with age of heaters.

4. Electric heat is easy to zone.

Very true and I like the idea of reduced usage in areas not in use.

We installed individual electric wall heaters (King Electric Pic-A-Watt
heaters) in each room. This lets us heat only the rooms we are in, and
set the temperature lower in the bedrooms than other rooms. This also
means no ductwork to make noise, collect dust, spread allergens, etc...

The wall mounted electric's I had several years ago definitely would
collect dust and smell terrible when first turned on in fall.

Another benefit of individual zoned heaters is if one fails, you still
have heaters in other rooms to keep warm while you fix it.

Agreed, if the power is on, I suffered with one spring snow storm that
dumped 9 foot of snow on us in 30 hours. It took the power company 10
days to get our power back. I do admit at the time we lived in a home
in the Sierra Nevada mountains @ 6600 ft. But, there were 120 homes
in the immediate area, we had underground power in our tract, and it
was still out that long. Fortunately we had 2 wood stoves, and still
had an adequate wood supply. The use of Coleman lamps and hot wood
stove tops to cook on got us back to power. My drive was 300 ft.
long, and I stayed fairly warm for two days digging out to the street.

5. Electric heat doesn't pollute. Yes, some of the generating sources cause
pollution, but those are better monitored and regulated than home furnaces.

Just my 2 cents...

And my dime.

Anthony

Jim Baber in CA
Posted to alt.home.repair

Hi Jim,

they will pass those higher costs right straight
to you plus any allowed profit margin.

Of course, but so do the oil companies...

We are all electric here (heat, hot water, lighting, appliances, etc.), and
only pay $109 per month for our 1456 square foot home. And we're not exactly
"frugal" with our electric usage. Still, compared to our other bills, that's
one of the cheaper ones.

What about short circuits. rotting insulation on old wiring, bad
equipment, and similar problems. All heat sources have some kind of
problems, usually worsening with age of heaters.

True, I guess it's just what you're more comfortable with.

The wall mounted electric's I had several years ago definitely would
collect dust and smell terrible when first turned on in fall.

The wall heaters don't have filters like a furnace, but they should still be
vacuumed clean once or twice a year. There's still a slight amount of dust
smell that first time they are turned on, but it's a one time deal that goes
away quickly.

Agreed, if the power is on

That's why we also have a backup woodstove. We actually just had a
windstorm knock out the power for a couple of hours last week. The woodstove
kept us warm and cozy.

Of course, with electric, I could also install a backup generator if I had
the desire and money.

My drive was 300 ft. long, and I stayed fairly warm
for two days digging out to the street.

Ours is about 150 feet. I can relate...

Anthony
Posted to alt.home.repair

"HerHusband" wrote in message
We are all electric here (heat, hot water, lighting, appliances, etc.),
and
only pay $109 per month for our 1456 square foot home. And we're not
exactly
"frugal" with our electric usage. Still, compared to our other bills,
that's
one of the cheaper ones.

That is CHEAP. I paid $142 just for lighting and refrigeration. No heating,
no special appliances. Our rates are going up again in January about 7.5%
over the 17¢ we pay now.

I'm looking to rent a villa in Italy for vacation next year. Some do not
include electric and they charge .26 Euro, or about .34¢ per kW/hr