DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   P Trap into wall extension - How to remove - exposed bathroom sink (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/184916-p-trap-into-wall-extension-how-remove-exposed-bathroom-sink.html)

Peter December 5th 06 08:14 PM

P Trap into wall extension - How to remove - exposed bathroom sink

I have a chrome plated P - Trap under an exposed bathroom sink.

Need to replace the P Trap and trap to wall extension as a piece of
corroded thread from the P Trap managed to broken off in the compression
nut. Far as I can tell the extension just goes into the wall pipe and has
been sealed with plumbers putty for the past 15 years or so.

P Trap is removed...... I tried using a pipe wrench on the extension...won't
budge. Tried some caulk remover and some bolt spray... pipe still won't
budge from the wall. This is the 22 gauge slip in type of pipe.

What's the easiest way to remove the slip in extension from the wall pipe.

Do they sell a strap wrench for additional gripping of the extension.

Should I cut the extension off close to the pipe, then make a cut
or two on the remaining piece and try to pull it away from the wall
pipe.

Should I not worry about cutting back the extension and just use
a chisel or punch to break it free from the pipe...(without hammering
on the pipe).

At least one thing works in my favor... the wall connection is
directly accessible..

Thanks in advance for your help.

Pete

Speedy Jim December 5th 06 09:02 PM

Peter wrote:
[...]

Since you can't budge it, it may be soldered into a brass
ferrule or trap adapter.

I would just saw the chrome piece off *outside* the wall
and use a "repair trap" or a 1 1/4" slip coupling.

I can't see from here what it looks like, but you can get
in trouble fixing whatever is in the wall.

Jim

Peter December 5th 06 10:14 PM

P Trap into wall extension - How to remove - exposed bathroom sink

Should I not worry about cutting back the extension and just use
a chisel or punch to break it free from the pipe...(without hammering
on the pipe).

At least one thing works in my favor... the wall connection is
directly accessible..

Thanks in advance for your help.

Pete

Since you can't budge it, it may be soldered into a brass
ferrule or trap adapter.

I would just saw the chrome piece off *outside* the wall
and use a "repair trap" or a 1 1/4" slip coupling.

I can't see from here what it looks like, but you can get
in trouble fixing whatever is in the wall.

Jim

Thanks Jim... I got it out.

I used some auto gasket remover (spray) to loosen up
the plumbers putty, followed by a good dose of PB Blaster
(nice stuff to keep handy).

One problem was the pipe wrench (with good teeth)
couldn't grab the surface to apply sufficient force
to turn it. Figured I would destory the extension anyway
so went for the curved end and got it to budge. The
rest was easy. Punched the tube in with a chisel and
twisted right out. Cleaned pipe and inserted the new
one. Didn't bother using plumbers putty this time as the
fit was pretty tight. I can apply it later if necessary.

The replacement extension and pipe was so darn THIN
it flexed when twisting it back into the pipe. Plus the original
p-trap had a cleanout plug. The replacement didn't... both
came from home depot who no longer carries the cleanout
plug replacement. bummer.

Jim... thanks for your help... I'll keep the information
handy as there will be other traps to replace.

Peter

Don Young December 6th 06 03:52 AM

"Peter" wrote in message

[...]

Often the easiest way to remove these pipes is to just collapse it near the
extension pipe with a pipe wrench, big pair of pliers, or even a big
c-clamp.

Don Young

Peter December 6th 06 03:40 PM

P Trap into wall extension - How to remove - exposed bathroom sink

On Tue, 5 Dec 2006 20:52:25 -0600, "Don Young" wrote:

"Peter" wrote in message
.. .

Should I not worry about cutting back the extension and just use
a chisel or punch to break it free from the pipe...(without hammering
on the pipe).

At least one thing works in my favor... the wall connection is
directly accessible..

Thanks in advance for your help.

Pete

Often the easiest way to remove these pipes is to just collapse it near the
extension pipe with a pipe wrench, big pair of pliers, or even a big
c-clamp.

Don Young

That's another great idea which would have worked perfectly.
Thanks for sharing it Don !!

Peter