DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Painting question (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/184200-painting-question.html)

Eric in North TX November 28th 06 11:33 PM

Painting question

I have an outside wall primed and ready, tomorrow is supposed to be 70,
but tomorrow night it is supposed to drop into the low 30s maybe even
the 20s. I am thinking of shooting it with latex through an airless
sprayer in the morning. Would I be shooting myself in the foot?

Pete C. November 28th 06 11:48 PM

Painting question

Eric in North TX wrote:

I have an outside wall primed and ready, tomorrow is supposed to be 70,
but tomorrow night it is supposed to drop into the low 30s maybe even
the 20s. I am thinking of shooting it with latex through an airless
sprayer in the morning. Would I be shooting myself in the foot?

Doesn't the can say you're supposed to have the surface above 55
degrees? Will the wall surface be 55 even if the air has made it to 70?
I'd expect the wall to still be cold from the overnight. I wouldn't risk
it since redoing it would be a royal pain. That "Wintery Mix" listed on
the NWS forecast for Thursday doesn't look paint friendly.

Pete C.

Eric in North TX November 29th 06 12:22 AM

Painting question

Doesn't the can say you're supposed to have the surface above 55
degrees? Will the wall surface be 55 even if the air has made it to 70?
I'd expect the wall to still be cold from the overnight. I wouldn't risk
it since redoing it would be a royal pain. That "Wintery Mix" listed on
the NWS forecast for Thursday doesn't look paint friendly.

Pete C.

The wall faces east and will be plenty warm by the time I was ready to
shoot, but I agree, it might seriously be effected by Thursday night.
I'll just wait, "if you don't like the weather here wait 5 minutes."

dpb November 29th 06 01:09 AM

Painting question

Eric in North TX wrote:

Doesn't the can say you're supposed to have the surface above 55
degrees? Will the wall surface be 55 even if the air has made it to 70?
I'd expect the wall to still be cold from the overnight. I wouldn't risk
it since redoing it would be a royal pain. That "Wintery Mix" listed on
the NWS forecast for Thursday doesn't look paint friendly.

Pete C.

The wall faces east and will be plenty warm by the time I was ready to
shoot, but I agree, it might seriously be effected by Thursday night.
I'll just wait, "if you don't like the weather here wait 5 minutes."

I don't think you should have any problem w/ a latex as most are
rain-resistant in a couple hours or so. Again can should give you time
you need.

The front is on its way certainly -- still near 60 here, two places a
little ways to the north of us less than 50 mi apart were different by
over 25 F on the weather an hour ago. Don't think it will get to you
'til fairly late in the day anyway unless it speeds up significantly,
it's probably 300 mi from southern edge of it now down there.

RicodJour November 29th 06 03:15 AM

Painting question

Eric in North TX wrote:
I have an outside wall primed and ready, tomorrow is supposed to be 70,
but tomorrow night it is supposed to drop into the low 30s maybe even
the 20s. I am thinking of shooting it with latex through an airless
sprayer in the morning. Would I be shooting myself in the foot?

You're conducting a risk/aversion poll. You will get the usual bell
curve in the answers.

There are low temperature paints that you could use. Sherwin Williams,
for one, has a few paints that can be applied with temperatures down to
35 degrees. That should be all the insurance you need.

Pete C. November 29th 06 08:28 PM

Painting question

Eric in North TX wrote:

Doesn't the can say you're supposed to have the surface above 55
degrees? Will the wall surface be 55 even if the air has made it to 70?
I'd expect the wall to still be cold from the overnight. I wouldn't risk
it since redoing it would be a royal pain. That "Wintery Mix" listed on
the NWS forecast for Thursday doesn't look paint friendly.

Pete C.

The wall faces east and will be plenty warm by the time I was ready to
shoot, but I agree, it might seriously be effected by Thursday night.
I'll just wait, "if you don't like the weather here wait 5 minutes."

Given the current "Severe thunderstorm warning", "Winter storm warning"
and "Tornado watch" I think not painting outside today is a good idea...

Pete C.

[email protected] November 29th 06 08:40 PM

Painting question

I'm in Wichita, KS... I've got about 1/4 inch of sleet/ice to scrape
off my windsheild before I leave work tonight.

Hopefully, you didn't paint anything...this weather is the pits. Not
too mention, it's 25 degrees outside with 30-40 mph north winds... my
lips get numb in a few minutes when I go out for a smoke, can't imagine
what it would be like being outside all day in this.