DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Question about ceramic tile grouting (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/184137-question-about-ceramic-tile-grouting.html)

[email protected] November 28th 06 02:04 PM

Question about ceramic tile grouting

I just installed tiles in a small entryway area (about 5X7) and it
looks good. Now I need to grout it. I have an almost-full bag of
Latex Portland Cement Grout--PM Sanded. There is a label affixed to
the bag that says "Bonded - Use before 2001". How crucial is this
expiarion date? Thanks.

Mikepier November 28th 06 02:19 PM

wrote:
I just installed tiles in a small entryway area (about 5X7) and it
looks good. Now I need to grout it. I have an almost-full bag of
Latex Portland Cement Grout--PM Sanded. There is a label affixed to
the bag that says "Bonded - Use before 2001". How crucial is this
expiarion date? Thanks.

Considering it's almost 6 years old, why would you want to chance it
even if you have a small area? Buy some new grout and rest assured you
won't have to do the job twice.

RicodJour November 28th 06 05:35 PM

wrote:
I just installed tiles in a small entryway area (about 5X7) and it
looks good. Now I need to grout it. I have an almost-full bag of
Latex Portland Cement Grout--PM Sanded. There is a label affixed to
the bag that says "Bonded - Use before 2001". How crucial is this
expiarion date? Thanks.

Who knows? Question is, do you want to take a risk for $10?

Norminn November 28th 06 11:07 PM

wrote:
I just installed tiles in a small entryway area (about 5X7) and it
looks good. Now I need to grout it. I have an almost-full bag of
Latex Portland Cement Grout--PM Sanded. There is a label affixed to
the bag that says "Bonded - Use before 2001". How crucial is this
expiarion date? Thanks.

Plaster and mortar can absorb moisture if stored a long time. For the
cost of a bag of grout, why risk a nice tile job? I'd buy new, just to
be sure.

thetiler November 30th 06 05:42 AM

wrote:
I just installed tiles in a small entryway area (about 5X7) and it
looks good. Now I need to grout it. I have an almost-full bag of
Latex Portland Cement Grout--PM Sanded. There is a label affixed to
the bag that says "Bonded - Use before 2001". How crucial is this
expiarion date? Thanks.

Grout loses it's properties over time. It has a shelf life of only
about a year. Not that older grout won't get hard, it just won't be
as good. If it's begun to get lumpy, you cannot break it up and
reuse it. Once the chemical reaction occurs with moisture, it
can't be revived.
It's unbelievable that grout is not hard as a brick. You must be in
Arizona. In Florida I can't keep a bag-good from getting lumpy
after about a month.

Get yourself a new bag of sanded grout and don't ruin that new
tile job. Homey Depot has 10lb. boxes that should do your job
provided it's not smaller than 8x8 tile.
If any Home Depot employee gives you advice, just do the
opposite and that should work.

Don't mix it too soupy as it will be too weakened. Mix it to about
the consistency of mayonaise.

thetiler