DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Gas Generator Won't Start (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/183925-gas-generator-wont-start.html)

[email protected] November 26th 06 08:32 PM

Gas Generator Won't Start

Hello. I live in Kosovo and I have an ACME generator, made in Italy.
It is fairly new and has been recently serviced, although it is
difficult to get it serviced.

My problem is that when I try to start it- with a full tank, the fuel
on, choke on and on button on and a good looking spark plug- it starts
for about 4 seconds and then dies, not to be started again until I've
regained my patience, which is usually the next day.

I need this machine for the work I do and was wondering if anyone can
give me any tips on what to look at.

Thank you,

Karl

RBM November 26th 06 08:41 PM

Gas Generator Won't Start

Pull out the spark plug and squirt a small amount of gas into the hole,
replace the plug and try to start it. If it runs for a few seconds, it may
be an indication that it's not getting fuel, in which case I would open the
carburetor and see if the float is stuck,and clean it. If gas sits in the
unit for any period of time it turns to jelly and things that should move
get stuck, and small jets get clogged. Also be sure there isn't a low oil
switch preventing it from running

oups.com...

Rich256 November 26th 06 08:55 PM

Gas Generator Won't Start

wrote:
Hello. I live in Kosovo and I have an ACME generator, made in Italy.
It is fairly new and has been recently serviced, although it is
difficult to get it serviced.

My problem is that when I try to start it- with a full tank, the fuel
on, choke on and on button on and a good looking spark plug- it starts
for about 4 seconds and then dies, not to be started again until I've
regained my patience, which is usually the next day.

I need this machine for the work I do and was wondering if anyone can
give me any tips on what to look at.

Thank you,

Karl

I think you are saying that you are able to start it the next day so the
fuel system must be working at that time.

If it doesn't start do you try without the choke? My thought is that
you might be flooding it.

Larry Caldwell November 27th 06 01:46 AM

Gas Generator Won't Start

In article .com,
) says...
Hello. I live in Kosovo and I have an ACME generator, made in Italy.
It is fairly new and has been recently serviced, although it is
difficult to get it serviced.

My problem is that when I try to start it- with a full tank, the fuel
on, choke on and on button on and a good looking spark plug- it starts
for about 4 seconds and then dies, not to be started again until I've
regained my patience, which is usually the next day.

I need this machine for the work I do and was wondering if anyone can
give me any tips on what to look at.

Go through the fuel system. Have you replaced the fuel filter? That's
a cheap thing to try, and never hurts. Disconnect the fuel line at the
carburetor to make sure you are getting fuel that far. If so, the
carburetor is the next thing to service. Order a carburetor rebuild kit
before you start, then dismantle it and give it a thorough cleaning.

--
For email, replace firstnamelastinitial
with my first name and last initial.

Bob November 27th 06 11:30 AM

Gas Generator Won't Start

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello. I live in Kosovo and I have an ACME generator, made in Italy.
It is fairly new and has been recently serviced, although it is
difficult to get it serviced.

My problem is that when I try to start it- with a full tank, the fuel
on, choke on and on button on and a good looking spark plug- it starts
for about 4 seconds and then dies, not to be started again until I've
regained my patience, which is usually the next day.

I need this machine for the work I do and was wondering if anyone can
give me any tips on what to look at.
_________________________________

First things first.
Have you checked the air filter?
If it is dirty, replace it if it the replaceable type,
otherwise was it in water (not gasoline) and let
it dry well before putting it back.

Goedjn November 27th 06 05:14 PM

Gas Generator Won't Start

On 26 Nov 2006 12:32:56 -0800, wrote:

Hello. I live in Kosovo and I have an ACME generator, made in Italy.
It is fairly new and has been recently serviced, although it is
difficult to get it serviced.

My problem is that when I try to start it- with a full tank, the fuel
on, choke on and on button on and a good looking spark plug- it starts
for about 4 seconds and then dies, not to be started again until I've
regained my patience, which is usually the next day.

I need this machine for the work I do and was wondering if anyone can
give me any tips on what to look at.

Thank you,

Clogged fuel line/filter?

John Lawrence November 27th 06 06:29 PM

Gas Generator Won't Start

I lost the original post however I wanted to mention that you may not need a
choke in Kosovo because of the heat of the ambient air. You may be flooding
it.

Bob F November 27th 06 09:20 PM

Gas Generator Won't Start

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello. I live in Kosovo and I have an ACME generator, made in Italy.
It is fairly new and has been recently serviced, although it is
difficult to get it serviced.

My problem is that when I try to start it- with a full tank, the fuel
on, choke on and on button on and a good looking spark plug- it starts
for about 4 seconds and then dies, not to be started again until I've
regained my patience, which is usually the next day.

I need this machine for the work I do and was wondering if anyone can
give me any tips on what to look at.

Pull the plug after it stalls. Is it wet? If so, use less choke.

If not, try squirting a little gas into the carb after it stalls. Does it
restart then? If so, you have a fuel supply problem. Filter, float,
water in fuel, etc.

Bob

Stormin Mormon November 28th 06 03:15 AM

Gas Generator Won't Start

Sounds flooded. Try starting it with the choke open.

If it fails to start again, unscrew the spark plug and see if it's wet
looking, and smells like gasoline.

Also please take the bowl off the carb, drain out any water, or
particles that might be in the carb bowl.

Please let us know what works, and if you get running.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

oups.com...