DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   What is this discoloration in toilet? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/183923-what-discoloration-toilet.html)

[email protected] November 26th 06 06:56 PM

What is this discoloration in toilet?

Hello,
I've been getting this discoloration at the bottom of my toilet. It
looks like something is peeling off the bottom, but not sure what it
is? Anyone know? Also, is there a chemical product that i can use to
get rid of this? Pic below. Thanks.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y19...IMG_3890-1.jpg

Speedy Jim November 26th 06 07:03 PM

wrote:

Hello,
I've been getting this discoloration at the bottom of my toilet. It
looks like something is peeling off the bottom, but not sure what it
is? Anyone know? Also, is there a chemical product that i can use to
get rid of this? Pic below. Thanks.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y19...IMG_3890-1.jpg

Calcium buildup from the water supply (hardness).

Muriatic acid is very effective in dissolving
the minerals.

Muriatic acid is also VERY dangerous to use!!
Wear eye protection and have good ventilation.
Rubber gloves to protect skin.

Plunge the bowl to get rid of as much water as you can.

GOOGLE "muriatic acid" so you know what you're dealing with.

AYOR

Jim

Oren November 26th 06 07:07 PM

What is this discoloration in toilet?

On 26 Nov 2006 10:56:17 -0800, "
wrote:

Hello,
I've been getting this discoloration at the bottom of my toilet. It
looks like something is peeling off the bottom, but not sure what it
is? Anyone know? Also, is there a chemical product that i can use to
get rid of this? Pic below. Thanks.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y19...IMG_3890-1.jpg

I would try diluted muratic acid (follow directions) to clean it and
rinse well. My guess is your water causes this.

--
Oren

Colbyt November 26th 06 07:20 PM

What is this discoloration in toilet?

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello,
I've been getting this discoloration at the bottom of my toilet. It
looks like something is peeling off the bottom, but not sure what it
is? Anyone know? Also, is there a chemical product that i can use to
get rid of this? Pic below. Thanks.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y19...IMG_3890-1.jpg

Calcium buildup. If it is a light case a product like clr might remove it.

For a heavy layer reduce the water level to the lowest point and use about a
quart of muriatic acid with the window open. The fumes are nasty.

Be very careful if you use the acid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Frank November 26th 06 07:47 PM

Colbyt wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello,
I've been getting this discoloration at the bottom of my toilet. It
looks like something is peeling off the bottom, but not sure what it
is? Anyone know? Also, is there a chemical product that i can use to
get rid of this? Pic below. Thanks.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y19...IMG_3890-1.jpg

Calcium buildup. If it is a light case a product like clr might remove it.

For a heavy layer reduce the water level to the lowest point and use about a
quart of muriatic acid with the window open. The fumes are nasty.

Be very careful if you use the acid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vinegar may also do it and it's obviously safer to use.
Frank

[email protected] November 26th 06 07:48 PM

What is this discoloration in toilet?

hows it flushing? the build up often clogs the inner bowl passages
causing poor flushing.....

muriatic acids risks are overstated, just have window open, dont
splash, wear gloves. wear eye protection in case you splash by
accident.

i just take a deep breathe hold it use acid and leave room immediately
shutting door

years ago acids were used all the time without the safety hype

Oren November 26th 06 08:24 PM

On 26 Nov 2006 11:47:47 -0800, "Frank" wrote:

Calcium buildup. If it is a light case a product like clr might remove it.

For a heavy layer reduce the water level to the lowest point and use about a
quart of muriatic acid with the window open. The fumes are nasty.

Be very careful if you use the acid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vinegar may also do it and it's obviously safer to use.

Vinegar is excellent for removing calcium spots on cars hit by
sprinklers with hard water.

--
Oren

Oren November 26th 06 08:49 PM

What is this discoloration in toilet?

On 26 Nov 2006 11:48:02 -0800, "
wrote:

muriatic acids risks are overstated, just have window open, dont
splash, wear gloves. wear eye protection in case you splash by
accident.

Don't pour water into muriatic acid; pour muriatic acid into water.

i just take a deep breathe hold it use acid and leave room immediately
shutting door

Abandon ship....

years ago acids were used all the time without the safety hype

If Jimmy Hoffa could tell us........

--
Oren

Malcolm Hoar November 26th 06 08:56 PM

In article , Oren wrote:
On 26 Nov 2006 11:47:47 -0800, "Frank" wrote:

Calcium buildup. If it is a light case a product like clr might remove it.

For a heavy layer reduce the water level to the lowest point and use about a
quart of muriatic acid with the window open. The fumes are nasty.

Be very careful if you use the acid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vinegar may also do it and it's obviously safer to use.

Vinegar is excellent for removing calcium spots on cars hit by
sprinklers with hard water.

It's also excellent for removing calcium deposits from the
porcelain on sinks (around the faucets and drain). A few
drops of white vinegar every few months does wonders for
my sinks.

Not sure it will handle heavy deposits in a toilet bowl tho'.
Could try let the vinegar working for a few hours, scrub with
a stiff brush, and repeat. I guess one would get there in the
end but it might take a few days.

| Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |

Oren November 26th 06 09:24 PM

What is this discoloration in toilet?

On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 20:56:10 GMT, (Malcolm Hoar)
wrote:

Vinegar is excellent for removing calcium spots on cars hit by
sprinklers with hard water.

It's also excellent for removing calcium deposits from the
porcelain on sinks (around the faucets and drain). A few
drops of white vinegar every few months does wonders for
my sinks.

Mom always sat her steam iron in a shallow dish of Vinegar to clean
the bottom.

Not sure it will handle heavy deposits in a toilet bowl tho'.
Could try let the vinegar working for a few hours, scrub with
a stiff brush, and repeat. I guess one would get there in the
end but it might take a few days.

I would not use Vinegar for the picture I saw. I was scared to look.

--
Oren

mm November 26th 06 09:32 PM

Colbyt wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello,
I've been getting this discoloration at the bottom of my toilet. It
looks like something is peeling off the bottom, but not sure what it
is? Anyone know? Also, is there a chemical product that i can use to
get rid of this? Pic below. Thanks.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y19...IMG_3890-1.jpg

Calcium buildup. If it is a light case a product like clr might remove it.

For a heavy layer reduce the water level to the lowest point and use about a
quart of muriatic acid with the window open. The fumes are nasty.

Be very careful if you use the acid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vinegar may also do it and it's obviously safer to use.
Frank

Stronger, I think, than vinegar but safer, I think, than muriatic acid
would be Zep Acidic Toilet Bowl Cleaner sold at Lowes. They sell a lot
of Zep products in their cleaning and janitorial section. It has
hypochloric acid, which sounds similar to muriatic (hydrochloric) but
is probably weaker and whose warnings are less. And it's already
diluted. And it's also a bit thick so it clings to the sides better
than muriatic acid would (which I have somewhere and have used a
little bit.) Blue with yellow lable on white plastic bottle.

It can take several applications with soaking and brushiing inbetween
to completely clean the bowl.

There used to be anohter brand, with a largely green or 3-color one of
which is green bottle, and the tub cleaner by that company is still
sold around Baltimore, but I never see the toilet bowl cleaner. (Not
talking about CLR)

George E. Cawthon November 26th 06 11:15 PM

wrote:
Hello,
I've been getting this discoloration at the bottom of my toilet. It
looks like something is peeling off the bottom, but not sure what it
is? Anyone know? Also, is there a chemical product that i can use to
get rid of this? Pic below. Thanks.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y19...IMG_3890-1.jpg

Hardwater deposits. How often do you use a toilet
cleaning solution? and scrub the dark area shown.

Contrary to others, you probably don't need any
special acid, regular toilet clean products
usually are acidic. What you should try and
probably the quickest and best approach is using a
pumice block ("PUMI" or some such name). Turn
the water supply off, flush the toilet, put on
your rubber gloves and scrub. Probably take 1
minute to remove most of it and will probably
smooth the surface enough to retard future deposits.

[email protected] November 27th 06 12:25 AM

What is this discoloration in toilet?

I usually clean the toilet every two weeks or so. I use clorox toilet
bowl cleaner,bathroom cleaner, and scrub free products. Thanks for the
tip.

Stormin Mormon November 27th 06 03:03 AM

What is this discoloration in toilet?

Yeah, and a lot of people got hurt, too.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

wrote in message
ups.com...

years ago acids were used all the time without the safety hype

Stormin Mormon November 27th 06 03:03 AM

What is this discoloration in toilet?

I hate it when sprinklers hit my car. Goes thunk, and leaves
scratches.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Oren" wrote in message
Vinegar may also do it and it's obviously safer to use.

Vinegar is excellent for removing calcium spots on cars hit by
sprinklers with hard water.

--
Oren

"Well, it doesn't happen all the time, but when it happens, it happens
constantly."

HeyBub November 27th 06 03:50 AM

mm wrote:

Stronger, I think, than vinegar but safer, I think, than muriatic acid
would be Zep Acidic Toilet Bowl Cleaner sold at Lowes. They sell a lot
of Zep products in their cleaning and janitorial section. It has
hypochloric acid, which sounds similar to muriatic (hydrochloric) but
is probably weaker and whose warnings are less. And it's already
diluted. And it's also a bit thick so it clings to the sides better
than muriatic acid would (which I have somewhere and have used a
little bit.) Blue with yellow lable on white plastic bottle.

Muriatic Acid = Hydrochloric Acid

........................@................................... November 27th 06 09:51 AM

On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 12:24:38 -0800, Oren wrote:

On 26 Nov 2006 11:47:47 -0800, "Frank" wrote:

Calcium buildup. If it is a light case a product like clr might remove it.

For a heavy layer reduce the water level to the lowest point and use about a
quart of muriatic acid with the window open. The fumes are nasty.

Be very careful if you use the acid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vinegar may also do it and it's obviously safer to use.

Vinegar is excellent for removing calcium spots on cars hit by
sprinklers with hard water.

Be thankful that you have hard water. Men who drink hard water get
HARD erections (unlike those who drink soft water and have to re-marry
every year).

Noozer November 27th 06 12:28 PM

What is this discoloration in toilet?

For a heavy layer reduce the water level to the lowest point and use
about a
quart of muriatic acid with the window open. The fumes are nasty.

Be very careful if you use the acid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vinegar may also do it and it's obviously safer to use.

Vinegar is excellent for removing calcium spots on cars hit by
sprinklers with hard water.

Be thankful that you have hard water. Men who drink hard water get
HARD erections (unlike those who drink soft water and have to re-marry
every year).

Voice of experience?

mm November 27th 06 01:58 PM

What is this discoloration in toilet?

On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 21:50:31 -0600, "HeyBub"
wrote:

mm wrote:

Stronger, I think, than vinegar but safer, I think, than muriatic acid
would be Zep Acidic Toilet Bowl Cleaner sold at Lowes. They sell a lot
of Zep products in their cleaning and janitorial section. It has
hypochloric acid, which sounds similar to muriatic (hydrochloric) but
is probably weaker and whose warnings are less. And it's already
diluted. And it's also a bit thick so it clings to the sides better
than muriatic acid would (which I have somewhere and have used a
little bit.) Blue with yellow lable on white plastic bottle.

Muriatic Acid = Hydrochloric Acid

That's what I said above. However Zep contains hypochloric acid.

BTW, if it doesn't work, the op can use up the bottle using the stuff
like other toilet bowl cleaner.

[email protected] November 27th 06 04:40 PM

Most people call it ****.......

Kyle November 29th 06 02:32 PM

Frank wrote:
Vinegar may also do it and it's obviously safer to use.

Vinegar is amazing with mineral build-up, but you have to let it soak
for quite a while - several hours to a couple days. What I would
recommend is if you are going away for a weekend or otherwise traveling
for a few days, turn the water supply off on the toilet, flush it until
you have little-to-no water left in the bowl, pour in a few cups of
vinegar, close the bathroom door and leave.

When you come home, use the toilet bowl brush to dislodge any stubborn
bits of mineral, turn on the water and flush. You should get rid of
most, if not all, of the mineral build-up. If there's anything left,
try one of the milder cleansers such as Bon Ami...I would stay away
from the chemical cleansers at first, just because I'm not sure how
they'd react with the vinegar (which is basically acetic acid) and what
fumes might be created. After a couple flushes you might be OK to use
the chemical cleaners.

I did this recently with my shower head, which had a TERRIBLE calcium
build-up, and the vinegar worked like a dream.

Buffalo Bob October 9th 16 02:44 PM

What is this discoloration in toilet?

replying to Speedy Jim, Buffalo Bob wrote:
*150 GRIT sandpaper! Works everytime!!*

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...et-169783-.htm

[email protected] October 9th 16 11:23 PM

On Sunday, November 26, 2006 at 12:56:17 PM UTC-6, wrote:
Hello,
I've been getting this discoloration at the bottom of my toilet. It
looks like something is peeling off the bottom, but not sure what it
is? Anyone know? Also, is there a chemical product that i can use to
get rid of this? Pic below. Thanks.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y19...IMG_3890-1.jpg

After ten years, the toilet is filled solid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nick September 27th 17 06:14 PM

What is this discoloration in toilet?

replying to zcarenow, Nick wrote:
It is a scale build up from urine and is very hard. You can scrape it off with
a flat screw driver or any sharp object you can get in to scrape it off

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...et-169783-.htm

Uncle Monster[_2_] September 27th 17 09:35 PM

On Wednesday, September 27, 2017 at 12:14:06 PM UTC-5, Nick wrote:
replying to zcarenow, Nick wrote:
It is a scale build up from urine and is very hard. You can scrape it off with
a flat screw driver or any sharp object you can get in to scrape it off
--

You're too late. 10 years ago, zcarenow became so enraged at the stains in his toilet that he suffered a stroke, fell headfirst into his toilet and drowned. After four days without food, his 267 gerbils escaped their enclosure and since they were so hungry, the furry little critters found and feasted on zcarenow's corpse. It was three months before the tragedy was discovered when a family member went to check on him. There is now a colony of carnivorous gerbils hidden in the surrounding hills preying upon area pets and livestock. Animal Control has tried to eliminate the feral gerbils by using flame throwers but the offensive odor of roasting gerbils has been too much for the officers to tolerate. Some guys from Peru were finally brought in to help since they eat guinea pigs and it was reasoned that those rodents were close enough. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Furry Monster

Oren[_2_] September 27th 17 10:27 PM

What is this discoloration in toilet?

On Wed, 27 Sep 2017 17:14:02 GMT, Nick
m wrote:

It is a scale build up from urine and is very hard. You can scrape it off with
a flat screw driver or any sharp object you can get in to scrape it off

Sure, go ahead and chip the bowl glazing while other simpler methods
work and take three (3) minutes.

=?iso-8859-15?Q?Tekkie=AE?= October 2nd 17 09:35 PM

What is this discoloration in toilet?

Oren posted for all of us...

m wrote:

It is a scale build up from urine and is very hard. You can scrape it off with
a flat screw driver or any sharp object you can get in to scrape it off

Sure, go ahead and chip the bowl glazing while other simpler methods
work and take three (3) minutes.

I would think a Snap-On large pry-bar would be the solution. Much wider
blade. Get one with a striking head...

--
Tekkie

serendipity February 25th 18 09:14 PM

What is this discoloration in toilet?

replying to zcarenow, serendipity wrote:
Had same - disgusting brown gunk all over bottom of bowl. Tried absolutly
everything for a year. Then tried new/old product
Domestios Zero from supermarket. Left it for a few hours - a brilliant result
- brown gunk had peeled off. Have used on all bathroom items since, with
excellent results.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...et-169783-.htm

Nick March 28th 18 03:14 AM

What is this discoloration in toilet?

replying to zcarenow, Nick wrote:
Hello
Muriatic acid is very toxic for you............. After the usage, it will end
up in the environment, it will not vanish.So vinegar and baking soda works
also; but you need to emptied as much as possible the toilet and scrub with
green scrubbing pad

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...et-169783-.htm

[email protected] March 28th 18 05:52 AM

What is this discoloration in toilet?

On Wed, 28 Mar 2018 02:14:02 GMT, Nick
m wrote:

replying to zcarenow, Nick wrote:
Hello
Muriatic acid is very toxic for you............. After the usage, it will end
up in the environment, it will not vanish.So vinegar and baking soda works
also; but you need to emptied as much as possible the toilet and scrub with
green scrubbing pad

Muriatic acid is tough on skin and the fumes will burn your lungs but
in the environment it disappears pretty quickly. It will react with
the calcium or other metals in the soil and become salts. Certainly a
rail car full would be a problem but a cup of it disappears pretty
fast. I use it by the gallon in my pool.

MJG August 2nd 18 08:44 PM

What is this discoloration in toilet?

replying to zcarenow, MJG wrote:
Had this problem, it's urine sediment build up. In my case had a pee, forgot
to flush as I was leaving to go on holiday, doh!
Tried everything then came across Calsolve toilet descaler, about £15 on
amazon. Fantastic, really works. Follow instructions including hot water.
Sorted!

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...et-169783-.htm

Bob F August 3rd 18 02:43 AM

On 2/25/2018 1:14 PM, serendipity wrote:
replying to zcarenow, serendipity wrote:
Had same - disgusting brown gunk all over bottom of bowl.Â* Tried absolutly
everything for a year.Â* Then tried new/old product
Domestios Zero from supermarket.Â* Left it for a few hours - a brilliant
result
- brown gunk had peeled off.Â* Have used on all bathroom items since, with
excellent results.

I just pour in 1/2 cup bleach, then lay a layer of TP on the sides above
the water with 1/2" in the water to wick the bleach water above the
water level. Flush it 6 or more hours later, and it's pretty clean.

[email protected] August 3rd 18 10:45 AM

What is this discoloration in toilet?

Vinegar may not be strong enough. Use phosphoric acid. Muriatic acid is likely to etch the porcelain.

Steve-O-Rino August 10th 18 01:14 PM

What is this discoloration in toilet?

replying to hallerb, Steve-O-Rino wrote:
I've thought the same. But the more I think about it, it 'snot the 'safety
hype'. It's the lawyers who have everybody afraid they'll get sued for
suggesting something where someone gets hurt. "He told me I should do it!"

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...et-169783-.htm

tom cassidy September 24th 18 07:44 PM

What is this discoloration in toilet?

replying to zcarenow, tom cassidy wrote:
if you go to a chemist shop buy a bottle of caustic soada granuals put 2or 3
table spoons down the loo last thing at night or when it will be least used
leave over night flush well in the morn prob will be solved. gnteed.also very
good to unblock drains.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...et-169783-.htm

Prairie Girl October 25th 18 01:14 PM

What is this discoloration in toilet?

replying to zcarenow, Prairie Girl wrote:
Try full strength bleach poured into the water and left for several hours (or
overnight). Weekly cleaning followed by a splash of bleach in the water, and
you wont see this again!

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...et-169783-.htm

Bob F October 26th 18 04:05 AM

What is this discoloration in toilet?

On 10/25/2018 10:33 AM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
On Thu 25 Oct 2018 05:14:02a, Prairie Girl told us...

replying to zcarenow, Prairie Girl wrote:
Try full strength bleach poured into the water and left for
several hours (or overnight). Weekly cleaning followed by a
splash of bleach in the water, and you won€„¢t see this again!

We had two brand new toilets tht quickly began a discoloration at the
water line in the bowl. We tried leaviang bleach in overnight but it
didn't work for us initially. To finally get rid of it we used a
commercial acid-based toilet cleaner that completely eradicated it.
Now we drop in a cholorine tablet into the tank once a month and the
stain has never occured again.

Flush the toilet, add 1/2 cup bleach, then lay a layer of TP all around
on the bowl so the lower edge is in the water, over the stain. Flush it
in the morning.

DBeck350 December 25th 18 05:44 AM

What is this discoloration in toilet?

replying to zcarenow, DBeck350 wrote:
Its really old Pooh stains. Just like the discoloration in thighty
whities. Nothing can be done about it. Pooh is Pooh so Pooh on my
friend........Pooh on.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...et-169783-.htm

Joseph Durand July 6th 19 04:14 PM

What is this discoloration in toilet?

replying to mm, Joseph Durand wrote:
Actually muriatic acid is made from hydrochloric . Muriatic is a more diluted
form , used to clean inground swimming pool tile. Sold in swimming pool supply
stores.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...et-169783-.htm

rbowman July 6th 19 05:12 PM

On 07/06/2019 09:14 AM, Joseph Durand wrote:
replying to mm, Joseph Durand wrote:
Actually muriatic acid is made from hydrochloric . Muriatic is a more
diluted
form , used to clean inground swimming pool tile. Sold in swimming pool
supply
stores.

Actually, they are the same thing. Hydrochloric, muriatic, Salzsäure,
all the same same.