Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Who is my best bet to contact to solve water leak problem?

Hello to all -

I am trying to figure out how to solve an old water leak along
the back of my house. It shows up along the ceiling seam on the back
wall, directly under the sliding glass door on the floor above.
I have tried eveything I can think of to find & solve the
leak. Checked the door, the chaulking, the fixtures on the wall
outside, the gutters... and I give up.
So, who/what type of service person is best suited to 1) FIND
the stupid leak, and then 2) FIX the stupid thing.
A home inspector was suggested, or a water-proofing company.
Not sure the inspector would be right, and I think of a water-proofing
company for structural/foundation problems. Am I worng?
And if anyone knows of someone good in the NoVa/DC area, all
the better.
Suggestions? TIA...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Whodat wrote:
Hello to all -

I am trying to figure out how to solve an old water leak along
the back of my house. It shows up along the ceiling seam on the back
wall, directly under the sliding glass door on the floor above.

What's outside that sliding door? Something that would direct water
towards the wall?

Posted to alt.home.repair

bowgus wrote:
Whodat wrote:

I am trying to figure out how to solve an old water leak along
the back of my house. It shows up along the ceiling seam on the back
wall, directly under the sliding glass door on the floor above.

What's outside that sliding door? Something that would direct water
towards the wall?

Let's see:
- there may be a gutter that is leaking
- there may be no gutter so the water comes right off the roof
- the roof may be leaking
- etc

Dick
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 24 Nov 2006 12:59:10 -0800, "bowgus" wrote:

Whodat wrote:
Hello to all -

I am trying to figure out how to solve an old water leak along
the back of my house. It shows up along the ceiling seam on the back
wall, directly under the sliding glass door on the floor above.

What's outside that sliding door? Something that would direct water
towards the wall?

There is a deck & a brick step down to the deck. I've chaulked
& sealed everything I can see on that junction.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Whodat wrote:
Hello to all -

I am trying to figure out how to solve an old water leak along
the back of my house. It shows up along the ceiling seam on the back
wall, directly under the sliding glass door on the floor above.
I have tried eveything I can think of to find & solve the
leak. Checked the door, the chaulking, the fixtures on the wall
outside, the gutters... and I give up.
So, who/what type of service person is best suited to 1) FIND
the stupid leak, and then 2) FIX the stupid thing.
A home inspector was suggested, or a water-proofing company.
Not sure the inspector would be right, and I think of a water-proofing
company for structural/foundation problems. Am I worng?
And if anyone knows of someone good in the NoVa/DC area, all
the better.
Suggestions? TIA...

I'd suggest a forensic engineer or architect.
Water infiltration is difficult to trace and to repair.
TB

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Whodat" wrote
Hello to all -

I am trying to figure out how to solve an old water leak along
the back of my house. It shows up along the ceiling seam on the back
wall, directly under the sliding glass door on the floor above.
I have tried eveything I can think of to find & solve the
leak. Checked the door, the chaulking, the fixtures on the wall
outside, the gutters... and I give up.
So, who/what type of service person is best suited to 1) FIND
the stupid leak, and then 2) FIX the stupid thing.
A home inspector was suggested, or a water-proofing company.
Not sure the inspector would be right, and I think of a water-proofing
company for structural/foundation problems. Am I worng?
And if anyone knows of someone good in the NoVa/DC area, all
the better.
Suggestions? TIA...

You can try the usual method people take, which is, hit & miss. Or, you can
get a hold of someone which does _infrared thermography_. Roofing companies
that specialize in flat work, use this, some home inspectors, are just a
couple examples. Once the source is located, you will know who to call for
repair.

OTOH, I had the same problem as you describe. The problem was there wasn't
any flashing under the patio door, the water would run back under the sill
when it left through the weep holes. A "L" shaped flashing with a small
bend for under the door solved the problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Whodat" wrote in message
Hello to all -

I am trying to figure out how to solve an old water leak along
the back of my house. It shows up along the ceiling seam on the back
wall, directly under the sliding glass door on the floor above.

Big clue there.

You have sliding glass doors on the second floor. Rain hits them and runs
down into the tracks ... they are like gutters but, unfortunately, have no
drain pipes. The tracks fill with water in no time and the water will (as
you know) seek a lower level. Any easy way to keep the rain away from those
doors?

What is best way to drain water away from house and solve leaky basement problem. [email protected] Home Repair 9 August 9th 06 03:49 PM
Ideas to solve a problem... R.P.McMurphy UK diy 11 February 6th 06 09:17 AM
installing a Kenmore Water Softener Leak Problem denverwr Home Ownership 1 January 15th 06 08:15 PM
Gloating? you bet No Woodworking 11 November 15th 05 02:01 AM
Solve the gas water heater mystery Paul in Boise Home Repair 11 February 16th 05 02:31 AM