Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sealing grout lines on ceramic tile floor

What is the best way to seal the grout lines on a glazed ceramic tile floor?
There are many grout lines since the floor consists of many small tiles:
1x1, 1x2 and 2x2 mosaic pattern. Can I just brush the silicon over
everything and then wipe the tiles clean after it dries? It would be very
time consuming to apply the silicon just to the grout lines.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Herb

Posted to alt.home.repair

I find those little bottles of sealer with the brush/roller on the cap
tedious. Grout sealer will not harm/discolor your tiles if they are
glazed. I just pour it over the tiles and spread it around with a sponge,
wiping up any residue on the tiles with an old rag. You can also use a
paint roller, foam paint brush, spray bottle, what ever is easiest for you
to apply. Just wipe up left over droplets off the glazed portion of the
tile with a rag.

Mark

What is the best way to seal the grout lines on a glazed ceramic tile
floor? There are many grout lines since the floor consists of many
small tiles: 1x1, 1x2 and 2x2 mosaic pattern. Can I just brush the
silicon over everything and then wipe the tiles clean after it dries?
It would be very time consuming to apply the silicon just to the
grout lines.

I'd get one of the bottles with a brush in the cap intended for
sealing grout. It won't take long to paint all the lines, even
with 1" tiles.

I doubt the sealer would hurt the glazed tiles though. Clean up
with some water and a blue/green Scotch-Brite pad.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for your input Mark. I appreciate the response from both you and
Keith. You may have different opinions (both of which are valid) and I
learned something from the two of you who have more experience than me.

Do you wipe up the residue right after application? If the silicon dries on
the glazed tile will it still wipe off easily? Will wiping excess silicon
off the grout lines be okay? How quickly does the grout absorb the silicon?

"Kram" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
krw krw is offline

In article ,
says...
Thanks for your input Mark. I appreciate the response from both you and
Keith. You may have different opinions (both of which are valid) and I
learned something from the two of you who have more experience than me.

I'm certainly not a pro; only tiled one house (2.5 baths, laundry,
and a couple of closets). The reason I prefer to paint the lines
is it uses less sealer and makes the cleanup simpler. I don't find
it any harder to do. My Jacuzzi tub surround (though 6" tile) may
have taken ten minutes for each coat and another ten to clean the
tile after.

Do you wipe up the residue right after application?

the directions should be on the bottle. I generally go over the
entire floor and then come back to wipe up the excess. Wait a half
hour or so and repeat. IIRC the directions on the bottle I used
said to do it until the stuff no longer is absorbed into the grout.

If the silicon dries on the glazed tile will it still wipe off easily?

I've never had any trouble. A ScotchBrite pad is a good cleaning
abrasive (will even take grout off tile). It won't hurt the glaze
on the tile but will take anything else off it. Just don't use it
on the grout (the tile should be higher than the grout).

Will wiping excess silicon off the grout lines be okay?

After it's done soaking into the grout, yes. You'll see the
difference. At first it'll soak right in, then a lot slower. Let
it sit a while then wipe it up (check the directions).

How quickly does the grout absorb the silicon?

At first, pretty quickly. The second coat it may just sit there
for a while. Again, check the directions for the specific product
you're using.

--
Keith
Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks again Keith. You've been a big help and I appreciate the info.

Herb

"krw" wrote in message
t...
In article ,
says...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Herb S" wrote in message
What is the best way to seal the grout lines on a glazed ceramic tile
floor? There are many grout lines since the floor consists of many small
tiles: 1x1, 1x2 and 2x2 mosaic pattern. Can I just brush the silicon over
everything and then wipe the tiles clean after it dries? It would be very
time consuming to apply the silicon just to the grout lines.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Herb

I sealed all the grout in my house with a colored sealant (to avoid future
staining and cover up current stains). I tried several methods, starting
with a paint brush and ending with one of those bottles with an attached
roller. The bottle was a huge time saver and I wish I'd had it in the
beginning because I have a lot of tile in my 2400 sq. ft. house.

If the grout needs cleaning before it's sealed, try those Mr. Clean Magic
Erasers. They work great.

Dawn

Sealing Subway Tile Grout [email protected] Home Repair 1 October 21st 06 06:21 PM
Remove grout from ceramic tile michelle Home Repair 8 October 4th 06 03:20 PM
Ceramic Tile/ Grout question yourname Home Repair 2 July 28th 06 05:45 AM
Sealing Tile Grout Vince Home Repair 1 April 27th 05 06:11 PM
Best grout / sealant for shower ceramic tile ? MAG Home Repair 5 June 19th 04 04:48 PM