DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   shower drain to long (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/183491-shower-drain-long.html)

[email protected] November 22nd 06 02:20 AM

shower drain to long

My upstairs shower drain pipe broke about a year ago and we fixed it.
We found out that the pipe in the floor is hitting the drywall in the
ceiling below. we notched out the dry wall to allow room for the pipe
but now it happened again. I was sitting in the family room and a
water fall came down from the ceiling. What else can we do? Is there
a different pipe we should try and use or a different way to dry wall?
I do not know what else we can do?

Tony Hwang November 22nd 06 02:27 AM

shower drain to long

wrote:
My upstairs shower drain pipe broke about a year ago and we fixed it.
We found out that the pipe in the floor is hitting the drywall in the
ceiling below. we notched out the dry wall to allow room for the pipe
but now it happened again. I was sitting in the family room and a
water fall came down from the ceiling. What else can we do? Is there
a different pipe we should try and use or a different way to dry wall?
I do not know what else we can do?

Hi,
Maybe your shower base is not solid enough. It flexes causing pipe move
vertically. If that's the case, a shoddy workmanship whoever built your
house or installed the shower.

[email protected] November 22nd 06 06:11 AM

shower drain to long

wrote:
My upstairs shower drain pipe broke about a year ago and we fixed it.
We found out that the pipe in the floor is hitting the drywall in the
ceiling below. we notched out the dry wall to allow room for the pipe
but now it happened again. I was sitting in the family room and a
water fall came down from the ceiling. What else can we do? Is there
a different pipe we should try and use or a different way to dry wall?
I do not know what else we can do?

your shower drain should run into a trap and then into a lateral drain
pipe leading to the vertical stack.

Is it broken at the trap or at the lateral pipe ?

it sounds like there is too much movement of the shower floor pan , and
that movement is causing the pipe to crack .

You should be able to tell if the floor is flexing by placing a
straight edge across the shower floor and then standing in the shower.
Measure the distance from the straight edge to the floor .