DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Chimney Pointing (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/183291-chimney-pointing.html)

Handi November 20th 06 12:44 PM

Chimney Pointing

One of my chimneys is in a sad state of repair. Motar and pieces of brick
are missing in spots. Would it be that difficult for me to repair my own
chimney or should I call a professional to repoint it?

Its a bit late in the year for it now, the weather is getting colder. This
is a project I'm planning for next spring.

Handi

[email protected] November 20th 06 12:56 PM

Chimney Pointing

at least get it professionally inspected if its a working chimney for
fireplace or flue vents.

if outside appearance is poor the interior may have troubles

I nearly died from carbon monoxide poisioning from a bad chimney cap!

[email protected] November 20th 06 02:56 PM

Chimney Pointing

Handi wrote:
One of my chimneys is in a sad state of repair. Motar and pieces of brick
are missing in spots. Would it be that difficult for me to repair my own
chimney or should I call a professional to repoint it?

Its a bit late in the year for it now, the weather is getting colder. This
is a project I'm planning for next spring.

Handi

Pieces of brick missing would lead me to suspect improper choice of
brick. Apparently some are not suitable for such exterior use- water
penetrates and freezes, splitting the bricks. I've seen a large
memorial
in E. Norwalk CT literally pulverized that way.