Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Circuit Breaker Box Vibrates

I am hearing a vibration (humming) noise from my circuit breaker box.
Any ideas of the problem?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Randy" wrote in message
ups.com...
I am hearing a vibration (humming) noise from my circuit breaker box.
Any ideas of the problem?

Normal. Don't worry about it unless there are other symptoms/problems.
Electric flow has an associated magnetic field and ac has an alternating
flow which often makes a humming sound.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Had you just discovered this hum? Is it possible it has been humming all
along? Sometimes when heavy load is being pulled through a circuit breaker
it will hum for a moment. Is it possible that there is a transformer near or
in the panel, for a doorbell . That would be a very likely source for a
continuous hum

"Randy" wrote in message
ups.com...
I am hearing a vibration (humming) noise from my circuit breaker box.
Any ideas of the problem?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3 Dec 2006 14:39:42 -0800, "Randy" wrote:

I am hearing a vibration (humming) noise from my circuit breaker box.
Any ideas of the problem?

Do you have a bell transformer attached to the panel?

later,

tom @ www.WorkAtHomePlans.com

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

I had a occasional loud 60 hz hum that almost drove me nuts trying to pin it
down. For over 6 months, I tried to locate the source, but the sound did not
seem to come from any single location. The final straw was when the power
was off on the street and the house was very quiet and I still heard it. It
was not possible to be an electric 60 cycle hum when the power was off. A
further search found the gas meter on the same concrete wall on the outside
was making a noise only when gas was being used by the water heater. It was
close to a 60 hz noise and was transmitted through the house via the gas
pipes. A call to the gas utility had it replaced the next day.

"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message
Had you just discovered this hum? Is it possible it has been humming all
along? Sometimes when heavy load is being pulled through a circuit breaker
it will hum for a moment. Is it possible that there is a transformer near
or in the panel, for a doorbell . That would be a very likely source for a
continuous hum

"Randy" wrote in message
ups.com...
I am hearing a vibration (humming) noise from my circuit breaker box.
Any ideas of the problem?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3 Dec 2006 14:39:42 -0800, "Randy" wrote:

I am hearing a vibration (humming) noise from my circuit breaker box.
Any ideas of the problem?

One thing that can cause this is when the hot and the neutral don't go
thru the same opening in a metal box.

This would be very unlikely in a house, but not impossible.