Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default replacing oil tank gauge

I got my tank filled up and the gauge is still stuck at 90 gallons. I
was just going to use a pipe wrench to pry it off then buy a new one to
replace it. Is there anything I should know before replacing it?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Joe wrote:
I got my tank filled up and the gauge is still stuck at 90 gallons. I
was just going to use a pipe wrench to pry it off then buy a new one to
replace it. Is there anything I should know before replacing it?

Here's a common gauge for 275Gal indoor use:
http://www.usahardware.com/inet/shop...al/1401422.htm

Hopefully the old one will unscrew without using
too much force.

Use thread sealant on the new one and orient the
float in the correct direction. Done.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

Joe wrote:

which way is the right direction?

Float arm goes long dimension
(length) of the tank

Speedy Jim wrote:

Joe wrote:

I got my tank filled up and the gauge is still stuck at 90 gallons. I
was just going to use a pipe wrench to pry it off then buy a new one to
replace it. Is there anything I should know before replacing it?

Here's a common gauge for 275Gal indoor use:
http://www.usahardware.com/inet/shop...al/1401422.htm

Hopefully the old one will unscrew without using
too much force.

Use thread sealant on the new one and orient the
float in the correct direction. Done.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

Joe wrote:

Is it possible that mine got turned around while they were filling the
tank?

Filling should not have affected it.
Take it out and see if you can find the problem.
Don't leave it open for long as the fumes
(from the oil) can affect breathing if allergic.