DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   dust coming from crack in wall (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/182759-dust-coming-crack-wall.html)

[email protected] November 15th 06 08:26 PM

dust coming from crack in wall

I have an 100 yr old town house that suffered termite damage over the
years, at least one time majorly around 1985.. I don't have the cash
to do a complete overhaul, but am doing things incrementally. such as
replacing all the hardwood flooring in one floor of my house. I have
an annual termite inspection and they were found once and treated. I
last had a full treatment in July. My neighbors have the same
experiences, so I'm not unique- we're near woods and a creek, so
there's lots of wet wood nearby.

Generally it's an old house with lots of settling. It was also
imperfectly rehabbed.

I have many cracks in the plaster and one, which happens to face an
outside wall has a weird effect. If I seal the window and slam the
door, little bits of termite-chewed wood come out. I did a visual
inspection and do not see any holes in the old mortar (though
repointing is in my future) and I held a wet finger to the crack and
didn't feel any wind or cold air.

Has anyone seen this before?

Don

Eric in North TX November 15th 06 08:41 PM

dust coming from crack in wall

Has anyone seen this before?

Don

All the time, before we got the Sentricon system. I still have residual
damage, but I'm winning. They seem to like drywall paper, probably a
desert after gnawing a 2X4. That system is pricey, I paid $1700, + 300
annual fee, but it beat the bugs, now we just have to clean up the
mess. BTW the house had been inspected and treated yearly for about 5
years before I bought it, but it never really eliminated them, it just
kept them in check.

http://www.dowagro.com/sentricon/us/

DK November 15th 06 09:25 PM

On 15 Nov 2006 12:26:32 -0800, wrote:

[...]

I have a window sill that collects termite droppings from drywood
termites.
There is a pinhole or two in the seam above where the windows meets
the wood and I can tap on the wall nearby and droppings just keep
coming out.
I need to drill lots of holes thru the drywall and into the studs and
spray.