DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   ceramic tile Vs natural stone in bathroom (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/182687-ceramic-tile-vs-natural-stone-bathroom.html)

Locks Pro November 15th 06 05:15 AM

ceramic tile Vs natural stone in bathroom

I am planing on remodeling a bathroom. I will be using marble (sealed)
as the counter top, and not sure of which way to go with the shower and
bathroom floor. Other than price, which one will be better for me to
use - ceramic / porcelain tile or natural stone (travertine or
marble)?
Other than cleaning, which one will require less maintenance? Is it
true that the natural stone may have more cracks over time than ceramic
tile?

Malcolm Hoar November 15th 06 05:42 AM

In article .com, "Locks Pro" wrote:
I am planing on remodeling a bathroom. I will be using marble (sealed)
as the counter top, and not sure of which way to go with the shower and
bathroom floor. Other than price, which one will be better for me to
use - ceramic / porcelain tile or natural stone (travertine or
marble)?
Other than cleaning, which one will require less maintenance? Is it
true that the natural stone may have more cracks over time than ceramic
tile?

I wouldn't be that concerned about cracking assuming a
good quality installation.

As far as maintenance and appearance is concerned, a lot
will depend on the specific materials and hence the colors
you select.

Consider the porosity of the natural stones (this is a
bathroom) and how visible any stains will be given the
color/pattern of your stone.

For example, if you like/want white, or something very
close, I think most natural stones are likely to show
some staining in 10 years time. A white ceramic tile
should hold up just fine.

| Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |