DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   corner cracks in slab (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/182419-corner-cracks-slab.html)

Mook Johnson November 13th 06 01:19 AM

corner cracks in slab

This is on a new home in Houston with a slab foundation.

There are cracks on two different outside corners of the slab that go from
about 3" in at the top to a point at ground level. If it came off it would
be a triangular shaped piece.

The cracks are about 1/8" wide. What would be the best way to fix this?

[email protected] November 13th 06 04:28 AM

corner cracks in slab

mook Johnson wrote:
This is on a new home in Houston with a slab foundation.

There are cracks on two different outside corners of the slab that go from
about 3" in at the top to a point at ground level. If it came off it would
be a triangular shaped piece.

The cracks are about 1/8" wide. What would be the best way to fix this?

I would check your home warrenty first , for a new home, and contact
the builder for rectification.

There are a variety of concrete crack fillers , some premixed in a
sqeeze bottle but a relatively new slab should not be cracking.

Bob November 13th 06 11:43 AM

corner cracks in slab

"mook Johnson" wrote in message
This is on a new home in Houston with a slab foundation.

There are cracks on two different outside corners of the slab that go from
about 3" in at the top to a point at ground level. If it came off it would
be a triangular shaped piece.

The cracks are about 1/8" wide. What would be the best way to fix this?

We had the same problem with our house after seven years.
Called the builder. He said the problem was that they did not wrap the
corners of the house with plastic correctly. Apparently this was a common
practice back then.

Our builder sent a concrete man who told me the same thing. He fixed it by
chipping the loose concrete off - it only went about a quarter inch deep,
and then putting on new underpinning.

That was over a year ago, and it has not returned.

Hope this helps. Call your builder.

Edwin Pawlowski November 13th 06 09:08 PM

corner cracks in slab

mook Johnson wrote:
This is on a new home in Houston with a slab foundation.

There are cracks on two different outside corners of the slab that go
from
about 3" in at the top to a point at ground level. If it came off it
would
be a triangular shaped piece.

The cracks are about 1/8" wide. What would be the best way to fix this?

Some cracks are normal and will never be a problem. If it is a brand new
house, have the builder check it out to be sure. You (or he) can put a
caulk type material in them.