Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Gas Water Heater - Pilot button dosen't pop back up.

My gas water heater started leaking out of the pressure releif valve.
I replaced the valve, in the process of trying to relight the water
heater, it will now not light. The pilot button sticks down and you
have to pull it up to get it to come back up. The manual says call the
gas company when this happens, which I will do.. But does anyone know
what causes this?

Thanks,
Mike

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
My gas water heater started leaking out of the pressure releif valve.
I replaced the valve, in the process of trying to relight the water
heater, it will now not light. The pilot button sticks down and you
have to pull it up to get it to come back up. The manual says call the
gas company when this happens, which I will do.. But does anyone know
what causes this?

The gas company has no knowledge or ability to fix your water heater.
They'll just shut off your gas.

Call the manufacturer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
My gas water heater started leaking out of the pressure releif valve.
I replaced the valve, in the process of trying to relight the water
heater, it will now not light. The pilot button sticks down and you
have to pull it up to get it to come back up. The manual says call the
gas company when this happens, which I will do.. But does anyone know
what causes this?

The gas company has no knowledge or ability to fix your water heater.
They'll just shut off your gas.

Call the manufacturer.

If what you're saying is the valve button stays depressed in the
position where it provides gas to the pilot to light it, then it sounds
like a problem with the valve assembly. Depending on your skill
level, replacements are available and you can replace the whole thing
for a lot less than a service call.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
My gas water heater started leaking out of the pressure releif valve.
I replaced the valve, in the process of trying to relight the water
heater, it will now not light. The pilot button sticks down and you
have to pull it up to get it to come back up. The manual says call the
gas company when this happens, which I will do.. But does anyone know
what causes this?

The gas company has no knowledge or ability to fix your water heater.
They'll just shut off your gas.

Call the manufacturer.

If what you're saying is the valve button stays depressed in the
position where it provides gas to the pilot to light it, then it sounds
like a problem with the valve assembly. Depending on your skill
level, replacements are available and you can replace the whole thing
for a lot less than a service call.

Another thought. What kind of problem was there with the relief valve?
Was this just a tiny drip, that got worse over time, or a sudden
bigger one? Reason I ask is if it opened due to over temp, there is
another final over temp cuttoff in the gas valve itself. And once that
goes, the valve is kaput. I don't know how it behaves after that, but
perhaps the symptom you are seeing is it?

Posted to alt.home.repair

control valve bad its replaceable but if the tank is more than a
couple years old your better off just replacing the tank, control
valves are expensive and tank may leak later after valve replacement.

time for a new tank and its likely the tank overheated and the
thermostat failed first.

tanks are cheap parts are expensive