DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Furnace and AC prices - (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/182185-furnace-ac-prices.html)

[email protected] November 10th 06 11:37 PM

Furnace and AC prices -

I live in Missouri and am a first time home buyer. The home we are
looking at buying has an ancient furnace and central air conditioner.
I'm having a lot of trouble just finding what a new furnace and air
conditioner might cost. Can anyone give me a range for furnace and for
ac in US dollars? Thanks

udarrell November 11th 06 01:15 AM

Furnace and AC prices -

wrote:

I live in Missouri and am a first time home buyer. The home we are
looking at buying has an ancient furnace and central air conditioner.
I'm having a lot of trouble just finding what a new furnace and air
conditioner might cost. Can anyone give me a range for furnace and for
ac in US dollars? Thanks

First, Check the ductwork so you know its condition & what airflow it
will carry within the requisite static pressures & velocities for the
required cooling tonnage.
Read the linked pages to learn hopefully enough to make good decisions.

Get a lot of quotes & know the reputation of the contractor you select,
because the manual J load calc & Manual D duct evaluation are critical
to a good performing system! If it costs too much to upgrade the
ductwork, -there are ductless systems you can use. Soleus Air units have
the best airflow per to of cooling that I have found. - udarrell

--
PROPER A/C UNIT & DUCTWORK Sizing is over 70% of Operating Efficiency
http://www.udarrell.com/proper_cfm_b...syste ms.html

udarrell November 11th 06 01:20 AM

Furnace and AC prices -

wrote:

I live in Missouri and am a first time home buyer. The home we are
looking at buying has an ancient furnace and central air conditioner.
I'm having a lot of trouble just finding what a new furnace and air
conditioner might cost. Can anyone give me a range for furnace and for
ac in US dollars? Thanks

First, Check the ductwork so you know its condition, & what airflow it
will carry within the requisite static pressures & velocities for the
required cooling tonnage.

Read the linked pages to learn hopefully enough to make good decisions.

Get a lot of quotes & know the reputation of the contractor you select,
because the manual J load calc & Manual D duct evaluation are critical
to a good performing system! If it costs too much to upgrade the
ductwork, -there are ductless systems you can use. Soleus Air units have
the best airflow per ton of cooling that I have found (-/+400-cfm per
ton of cooling). - udarrell

Joseph Meehan November 11th 06 01:30 AM

Furnace and AC prices -

wrote:
I live in Missouri and am a first time home buyer. The home we are
looking at buying has an ancient furnace and central air conditioner.
I'm having a lot of trouble just finding what a new furnace and air
conditioner might cost. Can anyone give me a range for furnace and
for ac in US dollars? Thanks

The problem is there is a very great range. Check with a local provider
and have them at least give you a preliminary estimate. Without actually
looking at the existing system ducts returns size of home, insulation
windows orientation etc. any guess would be almost worthless.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Richard J Kinch November 11th 06 02:39 AM

Furnace and AC prices -

Can anyone give me a range for furnace and for ac in US dollars?

http://www.grainger.com/

Steve Barker LT November 11th 06 03:09 AM

Furnace and AC prices -

Have you tried contacting some HVAC outfits? That might be a place to
start.

--
Steve Barker

oups.com...

galacon November 11th 06 04:57 AM

Furnace and AC prices -

None of these "experts" answered your question, did they?
I am an Illinois contractor, and the pricing in your area is similar.
Without knowing the size of your house, I can give you a range: budget
between 5-8000.00 US for the work, maybe as much as 10000.00 if the
ductwork needs extensive repairs and alterations. "Ancient" forced air
sustems are usually severely lacking in cold air return paths, and that
can run into some dough. A good rule of thumb is 2.50-3.00 per square
foot of living space for your heating plant. A better way is to make an
offer contingent on replacement costs being known before closing, and
adjust the contract accordingly. Your attorney can guide you there.

Good Luck!

Glenn
http://www.goalelectrical.com

Stormin Mormon November 12th 06 08:02 AM

Furnace and AC prices -

What's your energy source? Gas, oil, or propane? Or electric heat
pump?

Where I live in NYS, it's about two or three grand to replace a
furnace, add another two or three g for the air conditioning.

Of course, a plumber installing Goodman is cheaper. A HVAC technician
doing a nice job and installing Rheem or Heil is a bit more expensive.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

oups.com...

m Ransley November 12th 06 01:10 PM

Furnace and AC prices -

1200-12000, thats what you get without details..