DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   roof decking (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/182158-roof-decking.html)

Goedjn November 10th 06 06:43 PM

roof decking

Ok, So I'm in my attic last night, checking to make sure that
the fiber=glass patching material I drenched the roof with
is keeping water out, and I occurs to me as I'm considering
taking the skip sheathing out and replacing it with a
plywood deck,(in the spring) that it looks a bit odd.

It turns out that my rafters are spaced 5 every 12',
which works out to around 28 3/4" apart. Standard
4x8 plywood isn't going to work out anywhere,
and I'm not especially eager to be paying extra
in order to fight with 10' plywood trimmed to 115"...

The two least gruesome solutions I can think of
are to either just add in extra rafters
at the 8' marks once I get the roof off,
or abandon plywood and re-do to the roof
with planks.

(I would *LIKE* to go with slate, but
I don't expect to be able to afford that,
even though that avoids the cost of re-decking.)

Am I missing any obvious approaches? Un-obvious
approaches? And is there any reason other
than price to prefer plywood over a planked
roof?

--Goedjn

tom November 11th 06 02:12 AM

roof decking

Just lay your ply over the skip sheathing or scab boards. It's done all
the time. Go with 1/2 inch ply. Tom