DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Sheetrock ceiling vs. drop ceiling tiles (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/181860-sheetrock-ceiling-vs-drop-ceiling-tiles.html)

bluerock1 November 7th 06 10:46 PM

Sheetrock ceiling vs. drop ceiling tiles

Does it cost more to have a sheetrock ceiling vs. drop ceiling tiles
installed?

[email protected] November 7th 06 11:34 PM

Sheetrock ceiling vs. drop ceiling tiles

Wow, good question. I'd bet on tiles being more $$$. Price out the
materials at lowes.com, sheetrock is way lower. Labor - if you use a
good drywaller - would be comparable.

(Disclaimer: I may be wrong.)

Eric in North TX November 8th 06 12:56 AM

Sheetrock ceiling vs. drop ceiling tiles

As a DIY suspended may end up cheaper if you would have to hire the
tape and bed for the drywall and you have to paint it as well. A well
trained chimp with a level could hang suspended, the top side can look
like crap with tie wire everywhere so long as the bottom side looks
good.

Tim Fischer November 8th 06 03:36 AM

Sheetrock ceiling vs. drop ceiling tiles

"Eric in North TX" wrote in message
s.com...

As a DIY suspended may end up cheaper if you would have to hire the
tape and bed for the drywall and you have to paint it as well. A well
trained chimp with a level could hang suspended, the top side can look
like crap with tie wire everywhere so long as the bottom side looks
good.

Suspended ceilings rarely look good in residential settings, with the
possible exception of a small room like a bath. I would only use them were
access to plumbing, etc. above is paramount.

-Tim

Eric in North TX November 8th 06 05:10 AM

Sheetrock ceiling vs. drop ceiling tiles

Suspended ceilings rarely look good in residential settings, with the
possible exception of a small room like a bath.

My sister had a house in Fla. that had them throughout, and while it
looked a little odd at first, it grew on you. That was the first time
I'd ever seen it done with every panel the egg crate plastic grid
normally reserved for lights.