DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Simple question about underlayment for tile counter (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/181838-simple-question-about-underlayment-tile-counter.html)

David Nebenzahl November 7th 06 09:59 PM

Simple question about underlayment for tile counter

[Hopefully a simple question with a simple reply; on Usenet, you never know]

Helping a friend tile her kitchen counter, I'm making my bill of
materials. Just want to double-check one thing.

Question is: what thickness plywood should I use?

The plan is to put plywood over cabinets, then "wonderboard" (1/2"
cement-fiberglass board) over that, using thinset to bond it, then tile
over that. I was planning on using 1/2" plywood (counters are 24" deep),
but now I'm wondering if I should use 3/4". Or would that be overkill?

And what grade? Seems to me that since it's there for support only (the
cement board provides the smooth surface for tiling) that I could get
away with something like CDX.

Thanks to those who can provide helpful advice.

you're curious but don't really care about the quality of your knowledge.

- Matthew White's WikiWatch (http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/wikiwoo.htm)

Bald Eagle November 7th 06 10:27 PM

David Nebenzahl wrote:
[Hopefully a simple question with a simple reply; on Usenet, you never
know]

Helping a friend tile her kitchen counter, I'm making my bill of
materials. Just want to double-check one thing.

Question is: what thickness plywood should I use?

The plan is to put plywood over cabinets, then "wonderboard" (1/2"
cement-fiberglass board) over that, using thinset to bond it, then tile
over that. I was planning on using 1/2" plywood (counters are 24" deep),
but now I'm wondering if I should use 3/4". Or would that be overkill?

And what grade? Seems to me that since it's there for support only (the
cement board provides the smooth surface for tiling) that I could get
away with something like CDX.

Thanks to those who can provide helpful advice.

When I did my tile counter, I read books and asked around. I used:
1. 3/4" exterior plywood over counter.
2. 1/2" wonder board over plywood
3. 1/4" wonderboard over 1/2 wonderborad
4. 12" granite tiles.

So the total thickness is 2", which can be covered by 2" edge tiles.

Comparing the other costs of the kitchen, the few sheets of cement
boards are really nothing.

David Nebenzahl November 7th 06 11:13 PM

Simple question about underlayment for tile counter

Bald Eagle spake thus:

When I did my tile counter, I read books and asked around. I used:
1. 3/4" exterior plywood over counter.
2. 1/2" wonder board over plywood
3. 1/4" wonderboard over 1/2 wonderborad
4. 12" granite tiles.

Just curious why two layers of wonderboard? Planning on driving a truck
over the counter when not used for kitchen stuff?

Comparing the other costs of the kitchen, the few sheets of cement
boards are really nothing.

Cost isn't the issue, but 2" seems excessively thick for this job.