Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Why does my hot water heater have a blower on top of it?

The home I recently bought has a hot water heater that is different
from any I've ever seen before. There is a fan blower on the top of
it, so that every time the hot water heater kicks on, so does the
blower. Seems odd to me. Hot air rises. But I do notice that the
exhaust is out the side of the house about rather than through the
roof. Is that why? Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , 46erjoe wrote:
The home I recently bought has a hot water heater that is different
from any I've ever seen before. There is a fan blower on the top of
it, so that every time the hot water heater kicks on, so does the
blower. Seems odd to me. Hot air rises. But I do notice that the
exhaust is out the side of the house about rather than through the
roof. Is that why? Thanks.

High-efficiency units need fan-forced exhaust because the exhaust temperature
is too low for exhaust gases to be adequately removed by convection alone.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

46erjoe wrote:
The home I recently bought has a hot water heater that is different
from any I've ever seen before. There is a fan blower on the top of
it, so that every time the hot water heater kicks on, so does the
blower. Seems odd to me. Hot air rises. But I do notice that the
exhaust is out the side of the house about rather than through the
roof. Is that why? Thanks.

I presume it's a gas fired high efficiency water heater.

As you pointed out, hot air rises, but since the exhaust "pipe" can run
sideways for quite a distance in some installations a fan is needed to
push the combustion products outside.

Capice?

Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair

46erjoe wrote:

The home I recently bought has a hot water heater that is different
from any I've ever seen before. There is a fan blower on the top of
it, so that every time the hot water heater kicks on, so does the
blower. Seems odd to me. Hot air rises. But I do notice that the
exhaust is out the side of the house about rather than through the
roof. Is that why? Thanks.

http://www.ho****er.com/products/residential/gas.html

Called a Power Vent heater (or you might have a Direct Vent).
Instead of having a chimney, the draft blower sends the
combustion gases out the side of the house.

Not needing a chimney, they can be located more
conveniently.
Posted to alt.home.repair

The power vent also prevents back draft which is common in some of the newer
tightly constructed houses. the old style type furnaces are a safety hazard
in new construction so count yourself lucky.

"46erjoe" wrote in message
The home I recently bought has a hot water heater that is different
from any I've ever seen before. There is a fan blower on the top of
it, so that every time the hot water heater kicks on, so does the
blower. Seems odd to me. Hot air rises. But I do notice that the
exhaust is out the side of the house about rather than through the
roof. Is that why? Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

What will happen if my blower is not working. Should I unplug it until I order new one

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...it-163744-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

You're at tremendous risk of carbon monoxide poisoning. I would turn off the gas supply to the water heater immediately and get the unit serviced (if feasible) or replaced today. Meanwhile, you can go a day or two without washing clothes or taking a shower. Dishes can be washed in the sink with cold water unless someone is very ill with a highly communicable disease, in which case, buy a small supply of disposable paper plates, cups, and plastic utensils

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...it-163744-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, October 23, 2020 at 10:45:11 AM UTC-4, Retirednoguilt wrote:
You're at tremendous risk of carbon monoxide poisoning. I would turn off the gas supply to the water heater immediately and get the unit serviced (if feasible) or replaced today. Meanwhile, you can go a day or two without washing clothes or taking a shower. Dishes can be washed in the sink with cold water unless someone is very ill with a highly communicable disease, in which case, buy a small supply of disposable paper plates, cups, and plastic utensils

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...it-163744-.htm

I agree, it's the exhaust blower and if it's not working, I would turn off
the water heater until it can be replaced. I would think they must have an
interlock of some kind there to prevent it from firing if the blower fails.
If it doesn't have proper airflow it will generate CO.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 23 Oct 2020 05:15:02 +0000, Hnkclinical
wrote:

What will happen if my blower is not working. Should I unplug it until I order new one

Yes. the blower purges the exhaust - without it you risk carbon
monoxife poisoning.