Posted to alt.home.repair

Default "Federal Pacific" Breaker box

I have a 200-amp capable "Federal pacific" breaker box in my 44 year
old home. I've been told by a home inspector that the box is
unreliable and the breakers "can occasionally no-trip and could
potentially cause a fire" This, obviously, scares me.

The breakers aren't the cheapest or super-easy to find, but I haven't
had to replace any in the year or so I've lived in this house, the unit
seems reliable. Also, the breakers have tripped a few times as the
circuits have around 8-10 receptacles on a few runs in some cases.

I'm considering doing some remodeling, including the addition of can
lights (about 20 of them) and a few receptacles...all on new runs as
the breaker box isn't much more than half full.

Should I consider replacing the service panel and breakers to a current
model like a Square D as part of this remodel? After all, it doesn't
make much sense remodel a house that's going to just burn to the ground
anyway.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article .com, " wrote:
I have a 200-amp capable "Federal pacific" breaker box in my 44 year
old home. I've been told by a home inspector that the box is
unreliable and the breakers "can occasionally no-trip and could
potentially cause a fire" This, obviously, scares me.

The inspector is right. Google on "Federal Pacific" and I'm sure you'll find
plenty of information about it.

The breakers aren't the cheapest or super-easy to find, but I haven't
had to replace any in the year or so I've lived in this house, the unit
seems reliable. Also, the breakers have tripped a few times as the
circuits have around 8-10 receptacles on a few runs in some cases.

I'm considering doing some remodeling, including the addition of can
lights (about 20 of them) and a few receptacles...all on new runs as
the breaker box isn't much more than half full.

Should I consider replacing the service panel and breakers to a current
model like a Square D as part of this remodel?

Yes, absolutely. You should more than "consider" it -- you should do it.

After all, it doesn't
make much sense remodel a house that's going to just burn to the ground
anyway.

Exactly.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I would. I have personal experience with FPE circuit breakers not tripping
from dead shorts. My brother jokes that it is possible to weld with a wire
connected to an FPE breaker.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

wrote:
I have a 200-amp capable "Federal pacific" breaker box in my 44 year
old home. I've been told by a home inspector that the box is
unreliable and the breakers "can occasionally no-trip and could
potentially cause a fire" This, obviously, scares me.

Should I consider replacing the service panel and breakers to a current
model like a Square D as part of this remodel? After all, it doesn't
make much sense remodel a house that's going to just burn to the ground
anyway.

You pretty much answered your own question, didn't you?

http://www.inspect-ny.com/fpe/fpepanel.htm

This guy is promoting himself, of course, as well, but it appears the
data referenced are real and FPE did go under after a set of legal
challenges and lawsuits. The CPSC began and closed an inconclusinve
investigation way back in '83 or so and while I've not found it
directly(but haven't looked extensively, either) there's at least an
implication that FPE may have actually falsified some data supplied
from tests supplied for UL testing and that UL "de-listed" the original
FPE breakers. The replacements from Federal Pioneer in Canada have, to
the best of my knowledge, a UL or equivalent rating, whether that is
somehow based on previous qualification or were/are newly qualified
I've also not been able to resolve unambiguously. (But, again, I've
not done extensive "research", only poked around at what I could find
on occasion as there are several FPE panels here in the house, barn,
other outbuildings dating to roughly same time frame.)

http://www.schneider-electric.ca/www...ok/html/cb.htm

Overall, it does appear is that there is at least a risk of a trip
failure from a mechanical "jam" of the handle preventing opening w/ the
older FPE breakers. Without substantiating data, there's no real way
to judge the frequency of this as compared to other breakers, which
I've not seen at any point.

My judgement would be, it's fairly inexpensive in comparison to an
overall sizable remodeling project budget, and that would also seem a
convenient time to update other things in an older home, so I'd
probably spring for it. That essentially is my plan. As in your case,
I've never had a failure to trip, and have seen no signs of any other
problems. I have replaced one breaker that showed some signs of
overheating at the connection, but that appeared to be related to a
contact condition at that point rather than anything to do with the
breaker itself. Such an incident is not particularly unuique to FPE --
a slightly loose connection can exhibit the same symptoms at any
connecting point, not just a breaker.

Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote:

[...]

I'd strongly recommend replacing the FPE incendiary device. I replaced
the one in my house with a good Square D QO series 40 space panel and
sleep much better at night. I had heard all the bad things about FPE
before and had replacement high on my to do list anyway, but it wasn't
until I started tearing the old POS apart that I realized what a POS it
really was. As an additional note, since the FPE panels are pretty old,
replacing them may get you an insurance discount if your insurance
company charges more for 30+yr old electrical.

Pete C.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Any electrical panel with breakers that old should be considered
suspect, irregardless of brand. If you could just replace the breakers
with new ones, you would be perfectly fine. However, that's not
economically viable in your case, so replacement is probably a good
idea.

Having said all of that, I have one fo these panels, and I have
replaced many of my 1962 breakers with newer ones made in the 80's and
I am perfectly fine with the panel. I have also tested all of my
breakers and they all work fine. The single pole breakers are as good
as any others their age. The two pole FPE breakers are the ones that
are notoriously bad. And unlike almost all the other FPE bashers, I
actually have an electrical Engineering degree and actually know what
I'm talking about.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm glad I asked. You guys are amazing!

How much should I expect to pay to replace just the service panel and
all the breakers? (I don't do stuff that can kill me alone) Also,
what brand and size should I replace it with? It's a 200 amp now,
should I spring for a 200 this time around?

Thanks again gents!

Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote:

I'm glad I asked. You guys are amazing!

How much should I expect to pay to replace just the service panel and
all the breakers? (I don't do stuff that can kill me alone) Also,
what brand and size should I replace it with? It's a 200 amp now,
should I spring for a 200 this time around?

Thanks again gents!

Figure around $400 in materials for a good Square D QO panel and
breakers, a little less for the lesser brands. Labor would vary greatly
by market and by other factors that could make the job easy or difficult
like access to the panel.

Also, replacing a panel can NOT kill you, panel replacements are done
with the power off, usually be pulling the meter.

Pete C.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks Nate...that makes perfect sense. 200 amp it is. Have an
electrician coming out soon... he's a friend of a friend and is highly
recommended. I'm stopping by walmart on the way home for a fire
extinguisher, good to have around regardless of my service panel. ;-)

How can I tell if mine is a "stab-loc" type? From what I've read,
it's best to replace it no matter what kind it is, but stab-loc's are
the electrical version of napalm.

Also, has anyone had this type of work done? How much should I expect
to pay? I'd hate to pay too much just because I didn't want to wait an
extra few days for a better quote.

Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote:

I'm glad I asked. You guys are amazing!

How much should I expect to pay to replace just the service panel and
all the breakers? (I don't do stuff that can kill me alone) Also,
what brand and size should I replace it with? It's a 200 amp now,
should I spring for a 200 this time around?

Thanks again gents!

Oh yea, of course stick with 200A. Short of doing a new load calc after
a big energy reduction audit and appliance replacement, I would never
downgrade a service. Also the cost difference between a 100A and 200A
panel is really small.

Pete C.
Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote:

Thanks Nate...that makes perfect sense. 200 amp it is. Have an
electrician coming out soon... he's a friend of a friend and is highly
recommended. I'm stopping by walmart on the way home for a fire
extinguisher, good to have around regardless of my service panel. ;-)

How can I tell if mine is a "stab-loc" type? From what I've read,
it's best to replace it no matter what kind it is, but stab-loc's are
the electrical version of napalm.

Also, has anyone had this type of work done? How much should I expect
to pay? I'd hate to pay too much just because I didn't want to wait an
extra few days for a better quote.

If it's a "stab-loc" it will usually have a label with that name on it.
If you have the cover off or can otherwise see the buss i.e. empty
breaker spaces in the cover, the bus is flat and has little triangular
holes where the breakers "stab" in. I think there are pictures on one or
more of the sites people have referenced.

Pete C.

Posted to alt.home.repair

If you are going to stick with a 200A, just make sure you get one with
enough extra space in it for more breakers for future expansion. You
can almost never have too much extra space in there. And over time
stuff tends to get added or put on it's own breaker. If you don't
already have things like your microwave and toaster oven on their own
breakers, as well as all of your appliances on their own, now would be
the time to figure that into the new box.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7 Nov 2006 05:42:26 -0800, "
wrote:

[...]

IMHO:

If this was my house, and knowing how easy it is to just change out
the service panel, no upgrades, I would do it.

But that is me...

tom @ www.Consolidated-Loans.info

Posted to alt.home.repair

I have one of those FPE stab lock panels and have personally seen a no
trip, the short eventually exploded. I was stunned....

Replacement is at the top of my to do list, awaiting some bucks

Posted to alt.home.repair

I didn't read the other messages as this message string was getting
long but when I was on the home hunt 6 months ago, my electrician
uncle-in-law and electrician father-in-law warned me not to buy a home
with a Federal Pacific breaker panel. I was told that the problem is
in the quality of wiring used in the panel box and the fact that it has
caused many electrical fires in homes. Pretty scary thought when you
think about it.

If you are going to make improvements anyway, I would look into
changing out your electrical panel and any potentially faulty wiring
leading to and leaving your electrical panel.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks Nate...that makes perfect sense. 200 amp it is. Have an
electrician coming out soon... he's a friend of a friend and is highly
recommended. I'm stopping by walmart on the way home for a fire
extinguisher, good to have around regardless of my service panel. ;-)

How can I tell if mine is a "stab-loc" type? From what I've read,
it's best to replace it no matter what kind it is, but stab-loc's are
the electrical version of napalm.

Also, has anyone had this type of work done? How much should I expect
to pay? I'd hate to pay too much just because I didn't want to wait an
extra few days for a better quote.

You will pay $800 to $1400 depending on labor costs in your neighborhood,
inspection fees, and cost of permits. The parts cost the same: ~$250 retail
for the basic "kit" (200-amp box plus an assortment of 16 or so common
breakers). You can price the "kit" at HD or Loews.

My son and I replaced a 200-amp service at my place and, a week later,
repeated the process at his home.

We were quoted $1200 (each) by a commercial electrical contractor. In our
jurisdiction (Houston) neither a permit nor inspection is required, so we
were able to save about $900 apiece by spending Saturday afternoon on the
project. [In addition to the "kit" expense, there's always something piddly
that the contractor will have on his truck: a bit of wire, a funny coupling,
an extra ground lug, something.]

It takes two people about five hours to do the job.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm glad I asked. You guys are amazing!

How much should I expect to pay to replace just the service panel and
all the breakers? (I don't do stuff that can kill me alone) Also,
what brand and size should I replace it with? It's a 200 amp now,
should I spring for a 200 this time around?

Thanks again gents!

I few years ago I replaced our 1967 Fed Pacific 100A panel with a Square D
"Q0" series with an upgrade to 200A service. I did the work myself and it
ran around $500 (including the local permit and inspection). I live in
central Ohio (Westerville) any their codes allow the homeowner to do the
work on their own house. A neighbor contracted basically the same work in
their house to an electrician and it was about $1,200. In both cases is
was essentially a swap out of the panel and re-attaching the existing
circuits the new panel.

By the way, in no way am I suggesting that having a pro do the work is a
waste or anything. I have some experience (nothing this big before, though)
and did a lot of research and felt I could do the work. My neighbor didn't
feel comfortable taking something like that and to him the cost was
reasonable (the pro also did the work in about 4 hours, my job took all
day..)

Mike O.

Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote:
wrote:

[...]

Reliance Electric bought FPE and discovered that FPE fraudulently
supplied test information to UL. UL then delisted most of the FPE line.
Reliance Electric sued the seller of FPE and setteled for about 43
million dollars to cover future liability. I believe there is currently
a class action law suit in New Jersey. The problem probably covers the
1965-1980 time period although the current Canadian manufacturer won't
say what changes have been made to the line.

The link from dpb at
http://www.inspect-ny.com/fpe/fpepanel.htm
has a lot of information of FPE, much of it derived from the
investigation by the Consumer Product Safety Commission. It includes
information on the limited testing done for the CPSC. Two pole breakers
may not trip (can jam and never trip) if the current on both poles is
not the same (like ground fault). (Service disconnect size breakers were
not tested.) Another problem - single pole breakers may never trip at
135% of rating. Also bus failures which cannot be seen as they are
developing without panel disassembly.

One reason the CPSC investigation was dropped was the high cost of
testing required to allow regulatory action vs. the size of the CPSC
funding. This was probably also the start of the Reagan years which were
not favorable to regulation. And perhaps most important, the CPSC had
tried to regulate aluminum wire and in the predictable industry lawsuit
the court ruled aluminum wire was not a consumer item and thus could not
be regulated by the CPSC. Circuit breakers would probably have also not
been under the CPSC.

Another source:
http://www.codecheck.com/pdf/electri...%20Nov2003.pdf
includes additional problems with FPE panels, including the bus problems
referred to by Pete C.

--
bud--
Posted to alt.home.repair

According to dpb :

FPE breakers. The replacements from Federal Pioneer in Canada have, to
the best of my knowledge, a UL or equivalent rating, whether that is
somehow based on previous qualification or were/are newly qualified
I've also not been able to resolve unambiguously.

I believe this is a fair summary of the issue:

The problem with Federal Pacific in the US is that of dual
20A breakers getting into a fail-to-trip mode and caused
major fires.

The lawsuits essentially bankrupted them. The remnants of the
company were bought out by Schneider Electric in Canada and sell
under the name Federal Pioneer. Schneider is a pretty well
respected company, and does a lot more than Federal Pioneer.

These breakers had to be certified by CSA (on the whole slightly
more stringent than UL) before sold in Canada - CSA or explicitly
named equivalent approval is a legal requirement here.

They're also certified by ULC (UL Canada), which is more or less
exactly equivalent to UL.

Approximately two years worth of Schneider-made Federal Pioneer
_single_ 15A breakers were recalled several years back.
[I _think_ this was Schneider-initiated.]

Manufacturing dates around 1998 if I recall correctly. The
inspect-ny (and Schneider's) web site has a copy of the recall notice.

As I understand, no fires/injuries have resulted from the defective
15A breakers, and there's no indication that Federal Pioneer
breakers/panels are a problem otherwise.

My experience (several full panels worth) has been that Federal
Pioneer breakers are just fine. That can't be said of
Square D Homeline (over the past 10 years, 3 of 4 Homeline
breakers in the pony panel under my cooktop have fried. We
hates them, we really do.).

If your Federal Pacific (US) _panel_ is in good shape, rather than
replacing it, I'd consider net/mail-ordering some replacement dual
20As from a Schneider distributor or retailer, and not worrying
about it anymore. Current Schneider production in 15A singles
is fine, and you can still get free replacements for the recalled
15A single breaker (tho, they're unlikely to be found in US
FP panels).

There are areas here where the electricians will use _only_
Federal Pioneer, and will even refuse to replace an existing
Federal Pioneer panel with something else, despite the money
they'd make.

[My SIL had an opportunity to swap out a panel essentially
free to her to use something else, but the electrician, a
good one, said "what the hell for? Nobody around here
uses anything else, and we never have any problems with
them.". Talked himself out of about $1200 ;-)]
--
Chris Lewis,

Posted to alt.home.repair

According to :
Any electrical panel with breakers that old should be considered
suspect, irregardless of brand. If you could just replace the breakers
with new ones, you would be perfectly fine. However, that's not
economically viable in your case, so replacement is probably a good
idea.

Actually, it is quite viable. While "Federal Pacific" "legacy
replacements" in the US are quite expensive, "Federal Pioneer"
in Canada is no more expensive than any other breaker, and cheaper
than many [+].

If you live near the border, or find a mail/Internet order source,
it's quite doable.

The Federal Pioneer breakers are fully approved to US standards.

[+] I think somebody's making a fortune shipping Federal Pioneer
to the US and making a fortune off people who don't know any better.
--
Chris Lewis,

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for all the help gents! I had an electrician come out
yesterday morning, for $60 an hour. He was done in less than three
and did an incredible job. (had to cut drywall and plywood sheathing in
my garage to make the new Square D box fit)

I went to Homedepot the night before and got hte box for $159 with 5 20
amp breakers and bought various other breakers to bring the total to
$220 and change... I was exstatic.

Between the $220 for materials (bought it myself, took 5 minutes...and
I got to chat with the fellas at the hardware store, always fun) and
$180 for labor the total came to around $400! They quoted that it
would cost $700, until I told them I'd buy my own materials.

I was worried after seeing your postings, and am so glad now I have a
modern unit with plenty of expansion room... and it didn't even ding my
remodel budget.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks for all the help gents! I had an electrician come out
yesterday morning, for $60 an hour. He was done in less than three
and did an incredible job. (had to cut drywall and plywood sheathing in
my garage to make the new Square D box fit)

I went to Homedepot the night before and got hte box for $159 with 5 20
amp breakers and bought various other breakers to bring the total to
$220 and change... I was exstatic.

Between the $220 for materials (bought it myself, took 5 minutes...and
I got to chat with the fellas at the hardware store, always fun) and
$180 for labor the total came to around $400! They quoted that it
would cost $700, until I told them I'd buy my own materials.

I was worried after seeing your postings, and am so glad now I have a
modern unit with plenty of expansion room... and it didn't even ding my
remodel budget.

I'm curious as to whether the electrician installed two ground rods and
bonded your interior metal piping as part of your upgrade? Did he get a
permit for the work and have it inspected?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 11 Nov 2006 07:28:32 -0500, "John Grabowski"
wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...
[...]

imho:

I was wondering too.... was the system as a whole upgraded, especially
with the sensitivity to voltage variants of today's electronics? Plus,
were they they propertly managed, insurance, permits, and inspections?

You might get what you pay for, but more than often I've seen people
get less.

later,

tom @ www.Consolidated-Loans.info

Posted to alt.home.repair

What kind of electrician installs a box that the home owner bought at
Home Depot? Don't electricians bring their own equipment?

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 07:57:20 GMT, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

What kind of electrician installs a box that the home owner bought at
Home Depot? Don't electricians bring their own equipment?

imho:

Yes, and typicaly they charge the customer fair retail value. The
idea I have is when the customer doesn't get 'everything' the
electrician can draw out the per hour rate by making additional trips
to the store.

Go figure.

later,

tom @ www.WorkAtHomePlans.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

there are all sorts of electricians.

the company owner who has a pyroll insurance and all sorts of stuff to
pay $$$$$$$$$$$$

The fellow down the street who used to work for a electrician and now
makes some side cash money no overhead doing jobs like these $$ he
knows how and can be safe mo overhead or income tax

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12 Nov 2006 06:08:53 -0800, "
wrote:

there are all sorts of electricians.

the company owner who has a pyroll insurance and all sorts of stuff to
pay $$$$$$$$$$$$

The fellow down the street who used to work for a electrician and now
makes some side cash money no overhead doing jobs like these $$ he
knows how and can be safe mo overhead or income tax

IMHO, I got advice about trades people, from people who got burned by
part-time electricians/plumbers/tax advisors/etc:

1. If they are so good at it, whey don't they do it full time?

2. If they don't behave like professional business people, (license,
insurance, documentation) how 'professional' is the work.

Just thinking out loud....

tom @ www.Consolidated-Loans.info

Posted to alt.home.repair

IMHO, I got advice about trades people, from people who got burned by
part-time electricians/plumbers/tax advisors/etc:

1. If they are so good at it, whey don't they do it full time?

2. If they don't behave like professional business people, (license,
insurance, documentation) how 'professional' is the work.

Just thinking out loud....

tom @ www.Consolidated-Loans.info

lots of excellent tradespeople do side jobs for cash, avoiding lots of
tax and child support issues.

provided they do good work at low prices it proibably doesnt matter
except for the moral issues

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tom The Great wrote:
On 12 Nov 2006 06:08:53 -0800, "
wrote:

there are all sorts of electricians.

the company owner who has a pyroll insurance and all sorts of stuff to
pay $$$$$$$$$$$$

The fellow down the street who used to work for a electrician and now
makes some side cash money no overhead doing jobs like these $$ he
knows how and can be safe mo overhead or income tax

IMHO, I got advice about trades people, from people who got burned by
part-time electricians/plumbers/tax advisors/etc:

1. If they are so good at it, whey don't they do it full time?

2. If they don't behave like professional business people, (license,
insurance, documentation) how 'professional' is the work.

Just thinking out loud....

tom @ www.Consolidated-Loans.info

Think harder! A lot of these people are retired
professionals just looking to pick up some cash
from time to time, some even just want to help
neighbors and older people. Others may have a
regular job but do their old profession to pick up
a little cash from time to time.

Then there are a few that don't know what they are
doing.

Having a license is no indication that the work
will be good, and having no license is no
indication that the work will be lousy.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 13 Nov 2006 00:02:23 GMT, "George E. Cawthon"
wrote:

Tom The Great wrote:
On 12 Nov 2006 06:08:53 -0800, "
wrote:

[...]

I, as a consumer, would not hire someone that would circumvent local
rules, by not having a license in an area requiring a license.

That is my personal option, and having to had 'clean-up' work done by
unlicensed electricians, I feel my option is strongly fact based.

But then I have an adversion to house fire.

tom
Posted to alt.home.repair

I, as a consumer, would not hire someone that would circumvent local
rules, by not having a license in an area requiring a license.

That is my personal option, and having to had 'clean-up' work done by
unlicensed electricians, I feel my option is strongly fact based.

But then I have an adversion to house fire.

tom

I as a consumer look for a good deal.........

Being licensed is no guarantee of quality, license cancelled they just
start over.

word of mouth is often the best indicator....

but I DONT have extra bucks to throw away