DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Vapour barrier question (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/181741-vapour-barrier-question.html)

JustBrowsing November 7th 06 02:42 AM

Vapour barrier question

I just took out the gyproc around the bathtub...all sides. There had
been leaking through the old tiles...house is 46 yrs old, but only the
past year since I bought it and we take showers. The previous owners
were elderly and took baths. Anyway, I have it all cleaned out and
dried out...no rot, just some darkness where the mildew had started,
but that's cleaned up too. I have pink insulation replacing the
blown-in stuff that had to be removed/fell out when the gyproc came
off. I have water-proof gyproc to go back in before I put the white
acrylic surround on. Here is the question.....Should I put vapour
barrier between the insulation and the gyproc? There was none before
and if it hadn't leaked through the tile it would have been fine. I
will be caulking of course, with silicone. If I do need vapour barrier

could I improvise and (don't laugh) use the white foam underlay I used
when I put laminate flooring down? I have much left over and it seems
like it would be ok. Opinions?

bill allemann November 7th 06 03:20 AM

Vapour barrier question

if the bathroom wall is on the outside, and you have fairly cold winters,
you should insulate and vapor barrier that wall. If the wall wasn't to
the outside, it was insulated for sound barrier reasons, in which case,
vapor
barrier wouldn't be needed.
The type of insulation doesn't matter very much.

bill

oups.com...