DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   ? add second sink to granite counter ? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/181669-add-second-sink-granite-counter.html)

[email protected] November 6th 06 03:28 PM

? add second sink to granite counter ?

We just had a house built and opted to go with a single sink in the
masterbath in a granite countertop. The plans did call for the second
sink but we didn't think we needed 2. Well, we now wish we had the
second sink. Is is possible to add the second sink after the granite is
in or does the granite counter have to come out? The single sink is an
undermount. The counter is 7 feet long. The vanity is under the single
sink, there is open space under where the second sink could go so
access to get under the counter is no problem.

betty

Lawrence November 6th 06 04:23 PM

wrote:
We just had a house built and opted to go with a single sink in the
masterbath in a granite countertop. The plans did call for the second
sink but we didn't think we needed 2. Well, we now wish we had the
second sink. Is is possible to add the second sink after the granite is
in or does the granite counter have to come out? The single sink is an
undermount. The counter is 7 feet long. The vanity is under the single
sink, there is open space under where the second sink could go so
access to get under the counter is no problem.

I doubt if you can easily install the sink after the counter has been
installed. A granite fabricator would have to be consulted. Holes
would have to be cut in the counter for the sink and the plumbing and
that work is usually done in a shop where the tools and jigs needed are
readily available and where the mess can be tolerated. For them to cut
new holes in your counter now might be possible but would involve
making a big mess in your bath. What they will probably tell you is
that the counter has to come out. It is probably a lot easier to do it
that way. Just remove it and haul it to the shop.

Malcolm Hoar November 6th 06 04:25 PM

In article . com, wrote:
We just had a house built and opted to go with a single sink in the
masterbath in a granite countertop. The plans did call for the second
sink but we didn't think we needed 2. Well, we now wish we had the
second sink. Is is possible to add the second sink after the granite is
in or does the granite counter have to come out? The single sink is an
undermount. The counter is 7 feet long. The vanity is under the single
sink, there is open space under where the second sink could go so
access to get under the counter is no problem.

Most fabricators should be able to do this with the countertop
in-situ. They may prefer to take the thing out and back to the
shop, especially since you want an undermount (needs a more
precise cut and then polishing).

Depending on the layout and how the first sink was mounted,
they may have to lift the countertop anyway (to get the sink
underneath and supported via the plywood).

Just get a couple of granite guys around to provide estimates.

Also bear in mind that on-site cutting and polishing will likely
create a *lot* of dust -- be sure that you and/or your
fabricator have some plan to contain/mitigate that.

Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |