DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Is everything around $400 these days? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/181551-everything-around-%24400-these-days.html)

MRS. CLEAN November 5th 06 01:58 PM

Is everything around $400 these days?

I was quoted $400 to install my oven, cooktop, and dishwasher (4 hours
of work).

Then, I was quoted $400 to prune my tree in the front yard which
includes hauling away like that matters. I already pay the city in my
monthly bill to haul prunings. Since, I have three trees, it's $1000 or
more not $400. But, they don't do backyard trees. IOW, I must buy a
small gas chain saw anyway.

I have two electric chainsaws but you don't want cords up there. So, a
small gas chain saw and a ladder, and up I go on the street side where
if it drops I won't hurt anything. I will get help on the house side
cause I'm going to need a rope.

Eric in North TX November 5th 06 02:20 PM

Is everything around $400 these days?

For under $400 you could have a decent pole pruner and do it from the
ground. I can tell you from experience that; you need to wach out for
falling limbs, but you get used to it.
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...5833_200315833

professorpaul November 5th 06 02:25 PM

Is everything around $400 these days?

Even the manual pole pruner works great. I had quite a number of trees
in my back yard that needed constant pruning after 35 years. I could
keep them well under control with it. Constant source of fire wood over
the years.

Bill November 6th 06 04:23 PM

Is everything around $400 these days?

...a small gas chain saw and a ladder, and up I go on the street side
where if it drops I won't hurt anything...

If you use a chainsaw while you are on a ladder, you will probably learn
that the hospital emergency room also charges around $400 for a visit!

Chain Saw Injury Statistics...
http://www.elvex.com/facts08.htm

Do yourself a favor and buy the below chainsaw safety DVD for $4.99

Stihl Chain Saw Safety, Operation & Maintenance DVD...
http://www.stihlusa.com/information/info_lit_video.html

Chainsaw protective clothing...
http://www.elvex.com/prod09.htm

MRS. CLEAN November 6th 06 07:09 PM

Is everything around $400 these days?

I think the best procedure if you're not cutting from the ground is
standing on a solid limb above the targeted limb.

MRS. CLEAN November 6th 06 07:11 PM

Is everything around $400 these days?

I will get a few guys working on it.

Once the tree is under control, I will manually prune it.

I think you have the most control over a manual saw.

PaPaPeng November 6th 06 07:42 PM

Is everything around $400 these days?

On 5 Nov 2006 06:25:37 -0800, "professorpaul"
wrote:

Even the manual pole pruner works great. I had quite a number of trees
in my back yard that needed constant pruning after 35 years. I could
keep them well under control with it. Constant source of fire wood over
the years.

The last time I chimed in on this subject I suggested that a pole
pruner can be supported by a harness as used for flagpoles in a parade
march. Someone loved the idea.