DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Need some bathroom advice (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/181515-need-some-bathroom-advice.html)

[email protected] November 5th 06 04:00 AM

Need some bathroom advice

Hi everyone,

I am planning on doing some major renovations in the bathroom in the
basement of my house and I really need some advice. The bathroom was
gutted out several years ago when some extensive plumbing work was done
and it was never "put back together again". As it was, the bathroom had
a small stall shower installed in the corner, to the left of the
window. Now, the problem is this. I would like to get a whirlpool
bathtub for this room so that it can be used as a bathtub and shower
combination. My problem is that this bathroom has a window on the wall
where I would want to the bathtub to go. In other words, if you were to
stand there taking a shower, water would be splattering on the window.

Is there some sort of way around this that anyone here might know of??

Thank you

buffalobill November 5th 06 06:59 AM

Need some bathroom advice

first check the altitude of the sewer compared to thebasement. then
see what your local requirements are.
see:
http://www.buildingscience.com/resources/homeowner.htm

[email protected] November 5th 06 01:19 PM

Need some bathroom advice

On 4 Nov 2006 20:00:33 -0800, wrote:

[...]

Having a window in the shower is only a future head ache. As a home
improvement contractor, I run into this as a problem all the time.
The paint will always be a problem with the sill and the window. Avoid
this it at all possible. If you want to do this setup, we have found
that using a marine topside paint (urethane) will hold up better than
any interior paint.

-Lee

[email protected] November 6th 06 12:19 AM

Need some bathroom advice

Hi everyone,

Thank you for all of the advice. I was discussing it with my dad and I
think the best thing to do is to perhaps close up most of the window
and just use one of those small bathroom exaust fans. The window
doesn't really give much light at all. Also, we talked about the
possibilty of making the window much smaller so that it wouldn't really
get in the way of what we are planning to do in that corner.

Thank you

Nexus7 November 6th 06 12:58 AM

Need some bathroom advice

wrote:
think the best thing to do is to perhaps close up most of the window
and just use one of those small bathroom exaust fans. The window
doesn't really give much light at all.

You could put in a glass block window that has a little shutter in the
center. If there a ledge, use tile on it, or on the entire wall - if it
is DIY, why not splurge on the materials?